Vintage Shows - Yorkshire

Good morning, does anyone know of any vintage truck shows scheduled for 2012? My dad is a retired driver now and we are desperate to get him to a vintage truck show. Kind of things he’s interested in are AEC, Fodens, Bedfords, Leyland Octopus, Bisons etc. Looking at 1950’s through to 1980’s trucks. However, he lives in West Yorkshire so we’d prefer localish ones. We can get to Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Lancashire etc.

I’ve seen the Pickering Steam Rally adverts for 2011 but wasn’t sure if it covered the trucks of interest to us? Anyone been?

LeeJ .Get yourself and your dad over to Harrogate in august that is when the pennine run is on,plenty of things going on that day with loads of lorries from the 50s/60s.Go onto the photosite forum thread plenty of pics on there that have been taken at this years show and it will give you an idea of whats there.On the day the lorries leave Birch Service and head through Rochdale/Todmorden making there way to Harrogate.Also if you purchase the vintage commercial mag they have a diary of all the events for the coming year(dont buy it take a look at it in W H Smith 1st)

You need to get hold of a copy of the Morgans Historic and Classic Vehicle Events Yearbook. This is produced every year by York Rotary Club and lists events all over the top half of the country. If you visit their website on morgansyearbook.co.uk you’ll find all the details. It lists events of all kinds including steam rallies, car shows and bike shows with contact phone numbers so you can get an idea of what will be on show.
Good luck.

thanks fellas, that’ll give me something to go on.

Anyone been to the gathering in Ackworth?

There are a few gatherings:

Driffield steam fair - August (a few weeks after Pickering)
Pickering steam fair - August BH
Ackworth - not sure, but there is a Scammel gathering early on I think
Huddersfield - October, bady advertised, but very good!

cheers

hi lee why not take him here while waiting for the season to start.it is undercover & most Saturday’s you can have a wander round to see them working on the exhibits ,make sure he takes his bus pass for concessions regards alan

newby hall ripon 9/10/june 2012.pickering 2012first weekend in august ,driffield weekend after that and lincoln after that .

LeeJ:
Good morning, does anyone know of any vintage truck shows scheduled for 2012? My dad is a retired driver now and we are desperate to get him to a vintage truck show. Kind of things he’s interested in are AEC, Fodens, Bedfords, Leyland Octopus, Bisons etc. Looking at 1950’s through to 1980’s trucks. However, he lives in West Yorkshire so we’d prefer localish ones. We can get to Lincolnshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Lancashire etc.

I’ve seen the Pickering Steam Rally adverts for 2011 but wasn’t sure if it covered the trucks of interest to us? Anyone been?

paul 12:
newby hall ripon 9/10/june 2012.pickering 2012first weekend in august ,driffield weekend after that and lincoln after that .

LeeJ:

I’ve seen the Pickering Steam Rally adverts for 2011 but wasn’t sure if it covered the trucks of interest to us? Anyone been]
yes plenty of 50s 60s 70s lorries

Hiya Paul… this year its the AEC 100(centenery) at newark showground end of MAY i think, its open to all vehicles but full of AEC’s i’ll
be there… AEC 90 was brilliant so 100 should be a must… there’s also a truck run from carlisle to York with a stopover in york no sure
of the date…i’ve not done that run but have done the ayrshire road run that was top notch.there’s a show at temple newsone (LEEDS)
that was always a good day out…Google steam rallies 2012 theres always trucks and cars along with lots moor to see at these shows.
John

LeeJ:
thanks fellas, that’ll give me something to go on.

Anyone been to the gathering in Ackworth?

Hi,
I took my 2 young sons to Ackworth a couple of years ago…(the wife not wanting to be left on her own on a Saturday aternoon also tagged along). I dont recall how much we paid to get in, but it was too much. There was about a dozen wagons on show, and the rest of the muddy field was taken up by stall upon stall of tat!
If I wanted to take the kids to a jumble sale, I would have gone down the local community hall…likwise, I would have taken them to the fair if I wanted them to spend all afternoon going round in circles on a 60 year old deathtrap, which were also in abundance.

As for the wagons, despite being in a huge field, they were all crammed together spoiling any photo oportunies…and we had to wait till the yellow borderer was leaving beofre we could get a shot of it…the driver jumped out fo the cab for a second, so we took our chance beofre he returned and left.

Cheers.