Vignete for Luxembourg.Fine

While working for Austrian company Lindners,i was fined by Lux cops for no transit tax,hundreds were stopped that day,and i saw bundles of cash mounting up in their van.On the French side of the border the French authorities were jumping up and down and shaking their fists at the Lux cops,saying it was an illegal control as we were not given the chance to buy a ticket after getting past the French side of Lux,even though a garage sold them before you got to Lux.What is the EU ruling on this,or did we try to run the gauntlet without paying up before hand.Were they wrong to fine us all that day?

@Toby1234abc, the ruleing is a vingette is required for those countrys
who are in the euro vingette system.They are legaly correct, so
what is the answer well download the list of where one can buy the vingette
look at agesCLICK
on the right hand side where it says ENGLISH , and read through
this should help you next time.

When the vignette came in, I never found any problems buying it in France. Belgium was the biggest problem as there were not many sales outlets once you had left the ports or border. Germany were better organised and the majority of the autohofs and tankstellen had a machine.

At the time I was spending many weeks away in Europe and would sometimes have to make a special solo trip to Oostende on a weekend if I needed an early start from Zeebrugge. As the only outlet in Zeebrugge then was the customs office who didn’t open till 8am Monday to Friday. It made it much easier when Stefan Bauwens got the vignette equipment installed

On the AGES site, it is still stating that the vignette can only be purchased over the Internet in Holland.
However, our firm in Germany has being ordering the vignette online for the last couple of months, via UTA.
So it may now be possible to order online in the UK.
Certainly saves a lot of clarting around trying to find somewhere to buy a vignette, especially when using the “scenic route” down the back roads of France and into Belgium :wink:

Inselaffe:
it is still stating that the vignette can only be purchased over the Internet in Holland.

wrong info obviously as the vignette can be obtained quite easily pretty well anywhere in Holland.
Where Holland differs from other countries is that if you do purchase over the internet you do not need to actually carry it in the vehicle if staying Holland as they have a very quick computer system whereby they can see within seconds whether a vehicle has purchased a vignette or not.
Unfortunately this does not apply to Belgium where although they can see whether you have bought one or not if you cannot produce you get fined.

Vascoingles:

Inselaffe:
it is still stating that the vignette can only be purchased over the Internet in Holland.

wrong info obviously as the vignette can be obtained quite easily pretty well anywhere in Holland.
Where Holland differs from other countries is that if you do purchase over the internet you do not need to actually carry it in the vehicle if staying Holland as they have a very quick computer system whereby they can see within seconds whether a vehicle has purchased a vignette or not.
Unfortunately this does not apply to Belgium where although they can see whether you have bought one or not if you cannot produce you get fined.

Hi Vascoingles.

Perhaps that was a bit unclear.

What I was trying to get across was that the Ages site is still carrying the info that apart from the usual outlets, which you correctly point out are plentiful in Holland, the option of buying the vignette online is only available from within Holland. However, as we now buy online here in Germany, this info on the website is not up to date and it may now be possible to order online from any country.

Regarding your second point, I would say that If the Belgians are indeed employing such tactics, they are in blatant contravention of the Eurovignette Directive and, in true Belgium style, are trying to pull a fast one.
The whole point of the E-vignette system is that it is fully electronic, with vehicle details being logged on to a central database from the point of sale.

There is NO NEED to produce a receipt of proof of purchase to ANYONE, as the controlling authorities are able to access the central database to determine if the vehicle has a valid E-vignette.
One of the main “advantages” of the new system, is that vehicles can be checked by CCTV or by moving patrol vehicles, without the need to stop the vehicle as was the case with the old paper vignette system.

Indeed, on the AGES site, it quite clearly states:

Declaration and paper documents are not needed

On the confirmation email that we receive from UTA after ordering the E-vignette online, it states that the vehicle details are logged into the system and that there is NO NEED to carry any additional proof of purchase in the vehicle.

One thing you must check is that you have actually got the correct registration and Euro class when you buy the vignette, it is quite easy for the foreign fuel station staff to make a small error especially if they don’t understand the format of a particular country.

Our fuel cards at Transalliance were issued by fleet number rather than plate details, so it was quite easy to make a mistake entering the reg when they were busy.

So good I did it twice :laughing:

toby1234abc:
While working for Austrian company Lindners,i was fined by Lux cops for no transit tax

so they were checking at the border with France? I’ve always bought the vignette at Shell Berchem while fueling up, I guess no more.

milodon:

toby1234abc:
While working for Austrian company Lindners,i was fined by Lux cops for no transit tax

so they were checking at the border with France? I’ve always bought the vignette at Shell Berchem while fueling up, I guess no more.

Bit dodgy that, my friend, as they can do you for driving from the border to Berchem without a vignette.

There are ample opportunities to purchase a vignette in France before entering Lux:

Toul, Loisy or La Maxe services. Metz Routier. There is also a kiosk in the last lay by before the border but I believe this does not open until 6am.

so now I know, thanks. I did know about the places to buy it in France, but it’s usually just one more unnecessary stop otherwise

milodon:
so now I know, thanks. I did know about the places to buy it in France, but it’s usually just one more unnecessary stop otherwise

I agree, especially if you’ve just managed to squeeze onto the services and then legged it to the desk only to be told that the bloody machine is broke :imp:

Inselaffe:
Indeed, on the AGES site, it quite clearly states:

Declaration and paper documents are not needed

On the confirmation email that we receive from UTA after ordering the E-vignette online, it states that the vehicle details are logged into the system and that there is NO NEED to carry any additional proof of purchase in the vehicle.

and just watch the Belgian Douane enlighten your wallet for quite a few euros if you can’t produce it

To Vascoingles

The vignettes are not given anymore it is just a computer entry to the Vignette central control so that any of the Eurovignette countries can see whether you have paid without stopping you. We are in & out of Belgium every day & have had tacho checks but they never ask for the vignette because they have already checked the computer.

jonb2610:
To Vascoingles

The vignettes are not given anymore it is just a computer entry to the Vignette central control so that any of the Eurovignette countries can see whether you have paid without stopping you. We are in & out of Belgium every day & have had tacho checks but they never ask for the vignette because they have already checked the computer.

We know that the old style Vignette is no longer issued.
Instead, when you pay for your vignette, you are given a till receipt from the AGES machine.
This is merely a proof of purchase, for company account records possibly.

However, reading on here and listening to anecdotes on the road, the Belgian police like nothing better than to stop us, for a ‘routine check’ or a trivial / invented reason, and finding something to issue a fine on.
Not being able to produce your proof of purchase would be the perfect excuse for a fine.

They very rarely seem to stop Belgian or French registered trucks, not when there’s a British or Spanish (or, becoming more likely these days, an Eastern European) truck in the area anyway.

i also had misfortune to work for that grabbing lidner ,tony did you travel down for the job in the van with us ■■

No.I paid for a bus to Dover and ferry to Calais to pick up an abandoned Lindner truck.Was steel from UK,up North,to Spain,and make us fill up in Lux for cheap fuel,but still want delivery done,even though diverted through Luxembourg.Green and red scanias.

toby1234abc:
No.I paid for a bus to Dover and ferry to Calais to pick up an abandoned Lindner truck.Was steel from UK,up North,to Spain,and make us fill up in Lux for cheap fuel,but still want delivery done,even though diverted through Luxembourg.Green and red scanias.

thats the git!!
i was one of the first to start with him , about 7 of us got taken down to his yard in a bus he hired, after about 4 weeks he had abandoned trucks all over europe :unamused: , never paid what he promised and wanted 11hrs drivinng done in 9 and good fuel economy :laughing:

Only reason i left was i faxed invoice to get my money back for expenses of running the truck,never got paid for Dartford tolls,phone and fax money,and all other petty cash expenses,after a few months it all adds up to a fortune.The Luxumbourg re filling they could never work out you lost loads of time to get to the destination and blame you allways for being late,as they would book the re load to the UK,quickly after tipping.

I have never and Will, never will use my money , either they supply a cash float
or give a card which allows a set amount to be used and if more is required
they have to autherise it,