Very interesting reading

Especially the bit about talking on hands free phones!

copilotuk.com/driver-distraction-infographic/

albion1971:

If it is interesting to you, Albion, then I doubt it will be of interest to anyone else.

I always sound my airhorns when I am next to drivers texting. When at the lights, the first thing they do is drop the phone into their lap, and look up at the windscreen. Then they realise I have embarrassed them, so the inevitable abuse starts.

These pricks are fully aware what they are doing is dangerous, but their insatiable need to be communicating with someone seems to take over.

6 months automatic ban for car drivers when caught.
12months automatic ban for truck drivers when caught.
Job sorted in one week :bulb:
There is no need to pick up a phone to call/answer when driving… with blue tooth and hands free kits on market, and anybody that texts while driving are lacking intelligence anyway, and should be disqualified on that basis alone :unamused:

Olog Hai:

albion1971:

If it is interesting to you, Albion, then I doubt it will be of interest to anyone else.

Why do you think that? It is a driver related topic and one with serious consequences.

I would say the ones that are not interested are the ones that speed and talk on their phones but believe they are so good that it will not cause them a problem. Are you interested?

eagerbeaver:
I always sound my airhorns when I am next to drivers texting. When at the lights, the first thing they do is drop the phone into their lap, and look up at the windscreen. Then they realise I have embarrassed them, so the inevitable abuse starts.

These pricks are fully aware what they are doing is dangerous, but their insatiable need to be communicating with someone seems to take over.

you should to it to any drivers you see using a sat nav as well, give them a blast, as there to busy looking at the screen than the road so that would be a good way of showing the bell ends up who use them.

desypete:

eagerbeaver:

you should to it to any drivers you see using a sat nav as well, give them a blast, as there to busy looking at the screen than the road so that would be a good way of showing the bell ends up who use them.

So everybody that uses a sat nav is also a bell end, …as well as anybody that has a CPC eh? :unamused:
ffs Pete give it a rest will you, it’s just getting boring now.

I don’t normally have my sat-nav between my legs.

That area is strictly monitored by the girlfriend gestapo.

Always give the horn a blast if I overtake or get overtaken by someone using the phone. Always drop it into their lap, look around and then aim a hand gesture at me as if it’s my fault.

Last week k got really p’d off with one.

M1 southbound just past Nottingham, in the morning so it was pretty busy.

2 cars appear on the slip road, a fiesta in front, followed by a blue Citroen. No indicator from the fiesta and doesn’t accelerate for the motorway, my alarm bells ring already.

I look to move over, but can’t, and know full well that putting my indicator in will only make all the cars next to me bunch up so I carry on at 54mph, the blue Citroen notices this and hangs back behind me, I have him an indicator dance later!

The fiesta however, just carried on at around 50mph. Then I see it, right hand to the ear and fully engrossed in a phone call. He merged straight out in front of the nose of my truck still without speeding up, I whacked my indicator on and thankfully either an attentive car driver or a trucker on his way to work saw what happened, braked and let me out. I sat in the horn for the entirety of my overtake, only for him to then speed past giving me the finger.

But just being on his phone, he was totally unaware of anything around him. After he’d sped last me he sat in lane 3 and lane hogged his way out of my view. :unamused:

Don’t use your phone!

Drivers talking on mobile phones canmiss seeing up to 50% of their driving environment

id like to take the test on that to prove them wrong, talking to a passenger is more dangerous as you tend to look at them when talking

burnley-si:

Drivers talking on mobile phones canmiss seeing up to 50% of their driving environment

id like to take the test on that to prove them wrong, talking to a passenger is more dangerous as you tend to look at them when talking

I think that test has already been done. Passengers tend to react to your visual cues - e.g. when you start looking in your mirrors, reacting to stuff going on around you. Phone callers can’t see this and so don’t react accordingly. Also, drivers have to devote more of their attention (even though they don’t think they do) to purely verbal communication than they do if they also have the “non-verbal” elements of being sat next to the person they are talking to. The studies have been done, if you care to search for them.

Roymondo:

burnley-si:

I think that test has already been done. Passengers tend to react to your visual cues - e.g. when you start looking in your mirrors, reacting to stuff going on around you. Phone callers can’t see this and so don’t react accordingly. Also, drivers have to devote more of their attention (even though they don’t think they do) to purely verbal communication than they do if they also have the “non-verbal” elements of being sat next to the person they are talking to. The studies have been done, if you care to search for them.

Agree with Roymondo.

GF makes me laugh. If we’re stuck in traffic she’ll wind the window down and rant and rave at the phone user. It’s best in town traffic when they find half a dozen pedestrians and drivers looking to see what she’s raging at.

After a heavy night just this weekend my mate was driving me to the airport and his phone goes and picks it up, just then my body says its time to puke. I tell him to pull over and he thinks nothing of it and carries on, so i repeat and make hand gestures of throwing up so he does, i just get out to puke up in a hedge. Get back in the car and its seams when i first said to pull over he thought it was because he was on his phone :smiley:

burnley-si:

I would agree, I talk every day on the way and returning from work on handsfree, never had an accident and see a far worse standard of driving from people not on the phones.
the article is written to promote a hands free blocking gadget so would be very wary of the data.
I do however think the texting part is correct and should result in a ban.

burnley-si:

Maybe you look at your passengers when you talk to them when you are driving but I would think most drivers will watch the road ahead!
I doubt you would prove them wrong either.

war1974:

burnley-si:

I would agree, I talk every day on the way and returning from work on handsfree, never had an accident and see a far worse standard of driving from people not on the phones.
the article is written to promote a hands free blocking gadget so would be very wary of the data.
I do however think the texting part is correct and should result in a ban.

Like many other who talk on their phones everyday that have not had an accident but that does not mean their driving is not affected.
Have you ever sat and watched a driver when they are talking on a phone because I have many times and there is no doubt there is a change in their concentration levels. They may not have an accident but they are certainly far more likely to.
A lot of drivers do not concentrate enough anyway without having a phone call as another distraction.
Eventually sense will be seen and there will be no more calls when driving. Get rid of any in car/cab screens as well.

Stuck behind some prat in a car through the M1 roadworks doing 45 in the middle lane the other night. As I approached I could see the telltale glow of a phone in his cabin. As I passed him in lane 1 I looked over, he’d wedged his phone in the steering wheel and appeared to be watching a video!
I’ve never been more tempted to report a driver to plod.

Captain Caveman 76:
Stuck behind some prat in a car through the M1 roadworks doing 45 in the middle lane the other night. As I approached I could see the telltale glow of a phone in his cabin. As I passed him in lane 1 I looked over, he’d wedged his phone in the steering wheel and appeared to be watching a video!
I’ve never been more tempted to report a driver to plod.

What is worse is seeing these foreign left hand drive lorries overtaking you and they have a full telly/laptop with a movie on! Seen that a few times on nights

robroy:
6 months automatic ban for car drivers when caught.
12months automatic ban for truck drivers when caught.
Job sorted in one week :bulb:
There is no need to pick up a phone to call/answer when driving… with blue tooth and hands free kits on market, and anybody that texts while driving are lacking intelligence anyway, and should be disqualified on that basis alone :unamused:

+1