Vehicle Weights

Can i ask some advice please. I am trying to work out how much my vehicle can carry.
The plate is as follows:
Gross Weight 18000
Train weight 21000

Axle 1 7100

Axle 2 11500

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

pikerpete:
Can i ask some advice please. I am trying to work out how much my vehicle can carry.
The plate is as follows:
Gross Weight 18000
Train weight 21000

Axle 1 7100

Axle 2 11500

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

Need to know what the vehicle is empty = weighbridge needed

You sure GTW is only 21000 ?

You would need to take it over a weigh bridge whilst empty then minus the tare (empty) weight from the plated gross (loaded) weight, as in 18000kgs.
Oh and don’t let your gaffer tell you it weighs less than what it really is, or you will find yourself going out overloaded every day!

weeto:
You would need to take it over a weigh bridge whilst empty then minus the tare (empty) weight from the plated gross (loaded) weight, as in 18000kgs.

Make sure you and a full tank of fuel are being weighed as well

EMPTY Vehicle, you with full tank weigh say 10000 on weight bridge will be 18000 minus 10000 = 8000 payload

The GTW comes into play when you are towing because GTW means the max total actual weight both vehicle and trailer can weigh together when placed on a weighbridge

Thanks guys, not been with the company to long but am being told it carry’s 10400, I cannot see it myself but am going to get it on a weighbridge as soon as possible with the full tank of fuel.

pikerpete:
Thanks guys, not been with the company to long but am being told it carry’s 10400, I cannot see it myself but am going to get it on a weighbridge as soon as possible with the full tank of fuel.

Could be about right but let us know please

What truck and who’s body and what type ?
We could get a close guesstimate I reckon , but in reality a weigh bridge is needed.

One of the 18t motors I drove had a 9.8t payload, so doesnt sound too far off.

pikerpete:

Unless it’s a fridge or something with other plant and eqpt mounted on that will be about right for 18t with curtain/box.

To be completely honest you are wasting time and money really going to a weighbridge. If he was saying 12t or something it would be a bit different.

Are you a new young driver as there seems to be some sort of brainwashing thing to constantly suspect any employer of running bent?

if you’re going to be running at, or close to full weight then you’ve only got 600kg to play with on your total axle weights, so load placement is very important so you don’t overload an axle whilst being under the 18t gross. usually stuff like this, it can be easy to overload the front axle.

when you get it on a weighbridge, drive one axle on (if the approach to the weighbridge isn’t level, get the other axle as close as you can without going on the weighbridge) weigh it, then weigh the complete vehicle, you can then work out both axle weights. don’t forget to add 80 / 100kgs on the front and gross if you’re getting out to see the display. this wants doing loaded and empty.

you also need to to keep in mind when multi dropping, the overhang. lets say you weigh it when it’s full, you’re just under the 18t gross and just under 7.1t on the front, you get to the 1st drop, they want the 4 pallets at back, if they’re behind the centerline of the rear axle, then once they’re removed it’ll obviously remove weight from the rear axle, but it’ll also add weight to the front axle and could then have you over weight on that axle. think of a seesaw with the middle / pivot of the seesaw being the rear axle

penalties if you get it wrong and get busted!

EXCEED WEIGHT
0 up to but not including 10% No £100.00
10% up to but not including 15% No £200.00
15% and over No £300.00
The legislation shows that a £100 penalty will be levied for a 0%-9.99% overload, but
VOSA examiners will allow a 5% tolerance before Fixed Penalty or Prohibition issue
unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … posits.pdf

Own Account Driver:
To be completely honest you are wasting time and money really going to a weighbridge.

Of all the tripe that gets spouted on pricknet, this has to be up near the top :open_mouth: .

OP: if you’re ever pulled onto a weigh bridge and found to be overweight, show the nice man from DVSA Own Account Driver’s quote. No doubt he’ll smile at you and send you happily on your way, after telling you not to do it again :unamused: :unamused:

Alternatively, put your wagon on a weigh bridge, an axle weigh bridge if poss, empty with full fuel tank(s). Make a note of said weight, then you’ll know exactly where you stand payload-wise. If your company are any use, they’ll stand the cost. If not, pay for it yourself. It’s a sight cheaper than paying a fine!!

Own Account Driver:
To be completely honest you are wasting time and money really going to a weighbridge. If he was saying 12t or something it would be a bit different.

Are you a new young driver as there seems to be some sort of brainwashing thing to constantly suspect any employer of running bent?

Please do not listen to anything this prick has to say. Ever. He talks complete and utter ■■■■■■■■ and if you follow his advice one day you’re likely to end up with fines and points.

The fact everyone else has said to weigh it empty should tell you something.

When looking at delivery notes make sure you know what the declared weight includes, you’ll be surprised just how much the packaging weighs and don’t forget to include the weight of the pallets in any calculations you make. GKN Chep blue pallets weigh about 30 kg each, that’s getting on for half a tonne for a 14 pallet vehicle.

Naive and cynical me - You would think that every company has weighed their vehicles by now with full fuel and put an guesstimate for average bum on seat to know what it can carry !

They seem, to me, to fly by bum of seat after talking out it, rather than figure out what can carry what!

Conor:

Own Account Driver:

Please do not listen to anything this prick has to say. Ever. He talks complete and utter ■■■■■■■■ and if you follow his advice one day you’re likely to end up with fines and points.

The fact everyone else has said to weigh it empty should tell you something.

If I have told a driver I employ what a vehicle payload is, and a very typical payload at that for the vehicle GVW, if they then proceeded to waste time and diesel, effectively implying I was lying, by then taking it to a weighbridge they would be finding out the weight of the pens in the Job Centre, on their own time, asap.

They can then rinse and repeat their face never fitting at a variety of decent full time jobs then come on here trying to convince everyone but, mostly themselves, how great the agency work lifestyle is.

dcgpx:
Naive and cynical me - You would think that every company has weighed their vehicles by now with full fuel and put an guesstimate for average bum on seat to know what it can carry !

They seem, to me, to fly by bum of seat after talking out it, rather than figure out what can carry what!

This may be the case sometimes but, I would suspect mostly own account operators.

When I was transport manager for a national electrical wholesaler, they had a variety of makes of 18 tonners sleeper cabbed box and curtainside with tail lifts and they all had payloads between 10-11t so what the OP has been told seems entirely reasonable and they have not provided any evidence to suggest why it is not.

They come on here time and again with the ink still wet on their licence convinced they’ve uncovered some cowboy outfit with their magic ability to immediately identify either overladen or mechanically dangerous vehicles thanks to a couple of weeks in a training vehicle.

cav551:
When looking at delivery notes make sure you know what the declared weight includes, you’ll be surprised just how much the packaging weighs and don’t forget to include the weight of the pallets in any calculations you make. GKN Chep blue pallets weigh about 30 kg each, that’s getting on for half a tonne for a 14 pallet vehicle.

If it’s pallet network multi-drop the quoted weights by the companies that shipped it will almost all be total ■■■■■■■■. If it’s stuff like own account retail/catering multidrop they’ll have no clue what it weighs and are just saved by the fact it’s difficult to overload 18 tonners with roll cages of groceries.

@ Own Account Driver

You are probably an exception to the rule.

Whilst I get on ok with my TM
He doesn’t quite understand weights, why he got job not my problem !

But he seems to think I drive a 26t that’s how much I can carry, took a bit to explain unladen and payload etc.

Did make me think who drove before me and what did they put on!

Warehouse lot should know better !

Own Account Driver-I drive an 18 tonne reefer for a retail delivery company using roll cages. Are you really saying that my TM has no idea what our vehicles weigh when they leave the depot?

Very sweeping statement that!! I noticed you used to work for an electrical retailing company-so did my cousin.

He is a tw*t too.