Vehicle Defects - ABS

Hi all, I’ve got a couple of questions regarding ABS warning lights on a rigid.

What would the course of action be if a vehicle is stopped for an inspection and is found to have an ABS warning light on the dash?

What would happen if an accident was to happen, car pulls out of junction and truck hits into it for example, and there is an ABS warning light on? We’ll say the driver has reported the defect before he started his day.

Another non-related question, are height indicators in the cab mandatory?

Cheers all,

A.

fta.co.uk/policy_and_complia … ights.html

Fixed Penalty for no height indicator in a vehicle over 3 metres high.

Cheers guys, much appreciated!

Thanks for the link, redboxer.

On the link it says:

“FTA negotiated strongly with the Department for Transport (DfT) and DVSA who agreed to downgrade enforcement sanction policy where there is evidence available to a DVSA examiner of a yellow ABS warning lamp coming on during a journey, in which case the action is to issue an inspection notice, rather than a prohibition”

I understand that as meaning that if the warning light was on before the journey started and was recorded as such (on a defect sheet etc. ) a prohibition notice WILL be issued, is that correct?

Would that be an immediate or delayed prohibition or would it be down to the examiner’s discretion?

Thanks again,

A.

If the light is on at the start of the journey (and recorded) you shouldn’t take the vehicle out.

redboxer850:
If the light is on at the start of the journey (and recorded) you shouldn’t take the vehicle out.

Of course not!

I’m just wondering if that is officially written down anywhere as I can’t convince a certain person that it is an immediate prohibition. I’ve been searching but can’t seem to find it online.

Cheers redboxer,

A.

gov.uk/government/publicati … of-defects

Page 116

Brilliant document that, cheers for that!

Hm, it seems an ABS warning light is a delayed prohibition, according to page 103. I was always under the impression it was an immediate off the road and was told it was by a couple of HGV mechanics.

Thanks again for that link,

A.