Vehicle defect tickets

As everyone knows a daily walkround is legal requirement for HGV a record of this is also required

It’s part of my job role to check that all these have been completed on a monthly basis….

Last month I was missing 4 tickets from 3 vehicles……
tachomaster enabled me to see who was driving the vehicle that day and I informed the agencies and one of our drivers of the error made……

Couple of questions, do I need to get the drivers to sign and confirm this has been brought to there attention as I would do with an infringement letter?

Also what would be the dvsa or transport commissioners stance on a few missing defect tickets?

As I see it at the moment, the mistake has been spotted, parties involved have been informed and confirmed there mistake would I also need to outline a protocol to ensure this is less likely to happen again in the future?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think you need to be collecting and correlating the defect sheets every week.
That, plus card and head downloads, making sure PMIs are happening on time and examining recently done PMIs, are the top weekly jobs for me.

Like you, I use the software to see who was driving, generally I’d just speak to them, ask where it is, I save the “signing” for tacho issues.

Much of what we do is “making sure our ducks are in a row” for when the DVSA come calling or in the event of an encounter with the TC.

Hypothetically, lets say you decided to have a discussion with said driver(s) and “recreated” the missing defect sheets, who, apart from you, would know?

Now you know two things - the drivers who are forgetting, and a failed system in that it’s taken a month to find they weren’t done
For the drivers start doing the check more often, gate and PMI checks
And for the system, consider an ap, or getting hand on more often.

lmp198181:
… As I see it at the moment, the mistake has been spotted, parties involved have been informed and confirmed there mistake would I also need to outline a protocol to ensure this is less likely to happen again in the future?

I’m with Acorn on this…

However, I’d go a little further and suggest that if you implemented and used the suggested App, you’d know pretty much at the time of departure that a vehicle had been taken out without you having had a confirmation from the driver that the vehicle has been given a once over and then taken out in a fit and serviceable condition.

Later that day, you could then send the driver a text saying ‘see me at end of shift’ so that the matter of the missing defect sheet could be discussed and rectified in a timely manner.

If there’s any enforcement/TC action at any time, I’m fairly sure they couldn’t help but be impressed by your proactiveness.

Just a thought …why would he take the vehicle out if it was not in fit condition ,I dont know but would he get it in the ear for not getting somewhere on time ?