Vehicle checks should take over an hour!

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
The odds are if the thing isn’t replaced and maintained regularly on a no expense spared basis, then sooner or later something will break that the law will try to say should have been noticed by the driver.Then it’s all up to the jury whether or not you go to jail. :bulb:

Only in your imagination. They’re all summary offences and a fine is the maximum penalty.

You do know the definitions of dangerous driving in the Road Traffic Act and penalties.

‘‘A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous’’.

‘‘Regard shall be had to not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused’’.

‘‘In determining the above the state of the vehicle regard may be had to anything attached to or carried on or in it but also to the manner in which it is attached or carried’’.

So you’re saying that Philip Potter only faced a fine if it had been determined by the jury that he should have known about the alleged condition of the truck ?.

Carryfast:

Roymondo:

Carryfast:
The odds are if the thing isn’t replaced and maintained regularly on a no expense spared basis, then sooner or later something will break that the law will try to say should have been noticed by the driver.Then it’s all up to the jury whether or not you go to jail. :bulb:

Only in your imagination. They’re all summary offences and a fine is the maximum penalty.

You do know the definitions of dangerous driving in the Road Traffic Act and penalties.

‘‘A person is also to be regarded as driving dangerously if it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous’’.

‘‘Regard shall be had to not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused’’.

‘‘In determining the above the state of the vehicle regard may be had to anything attached to or carried on or in it but also to the manner in which it is attached or carried’’.

So you’re saying that Philip Potter only faced a fine if it had been determined by the jury that he should have known about the alleged condition of the truck ?.

Judge Geoffrey has spoken. Subject closed.

switchlogic:
Judge Geoffrey has spoken. Subject closed.

To be fair the jury will decide the matter.
Best not to give them and the law more ammunition to be used against you, by setting any inconvenient vehicle check standards precedents, re ‘‘expected to be aware of’’, over and above. :wink:

Wherever you go, whatever company it is, just do what you’ve got to do before leaving the yard, and never let them push you. Don’t even break it down to them. Just tell them “it’s what I need to do”, and deflect further interrogation, or play on the health and safety aspect, or ask them if they’ve ever “driven an artic”. Whatever you do, don’t justify yourself more than you need to. My pet hate is being pushed.

Personally I take approx 45 minutes from collecting keys to leaving yard (as do several others), and would not compromise on any of it. This nonsense about “we need you out of the yard in 15 minutes” needs to be ignored. Just ignore the muppets, and do what you’ve got to do. What’s the worst that can happen? In my experience the most stubborn drivers never get sacked, they just eventually get left alone, or even promoted! Some are continually called into the office, but never seem to get sacked.

Just see it as a big bloody game. Because that’s what it is.

I’m thinking how long an inspection takes depends of whether you drive the same vehicle every day or a different vehicle every day.

For example, if you drive the same vehicle every day, once you’ve checked the O licence disc once and ascertained that it is valid until 2024, surely it is reasonable to assume it is still valid until 2024 the next day?

Seems odd how it’s acceptable for a dvsa tester to do a lorry / trailer test in 10 minutes but a private car or class 7 test at a garage has to take minimum 30 minutes .

2 minutes!!! Straight from the horse faces mouth from 26 minutes 32 seconds in :smiley: youtu.be/4DYGpC8WS2U?t=1592

Here’s a. Question for any new pass. Drivers. (within last couple.of years or so)
What are you told shown about vehicle checks?
Am curious .
Just because lately our.place has.been.takig on new pass drivers…
And they all seem to have the same idea/attitude.

They check there Trucks over then sit there waiting untill 30 mins have passed then set off.
Our company has no policy don’t care As long as you start at time requested.
then do your checks etc.

I do wonder if that’s what new. Drivers. Are told on there. Lessons or on.the CPC courses. They do? Just. Curious why new passes do it.
Peorsnally don’t bother me if they wana.do there. Checks then sit and wait until half an hour as passed .
I’d rather do my checks sort stuff out then set off not sitting around.and waiting for no reason.

On a Monday morning it’s usually around 45 minutes before I leave the yard. That’s because my allocated unit has invariably been used by some Herbert over the weekend and I’ll be picking up a trailer I probably haven’t pulled for weeks, so I conduct a more thorough check.

As I’m away all week the subsequent checks take between 10 and 15 minutes as I do a walk around every time I stop and also a final one as I park up. The weekday morning check usually consists of a quick look for fluids on the floor, the lights are working, no flat tyres, the pin hasn’t been pulled, the back doors are still secure and the fuel caps are still in place and my coffee is at a drinkable temperature.

the maoster:
On a Monday morning it’s usually around 45 minutes before I leave the yard. That’s because my allocated unit has invariably been used by some Herbert over the weekend and I’ll be picking up a trailer I probably haven’t pulled for weeks, so I conduct a more thorough check.

As I’m away all week the subsequent checks take between 10 and 15 minutes as I do a walk around every time I stop and also a final one as I park up. The weekday morning check usually consists of a quick look for fluids on the floor, the lights are working, no flat tyres, the pin hasn’t been pulled, the back doors are still secure and the fuel caps are still in place and my coffee is at a drinkable temperature.

That’s the good thing about my new job, I loaded yesterday afternoon got back to the yard fuelled up and parked up and the keys to my truck are in my coat pocket!!
They treat us like adults here :laughing: :laughing:
If it needs moving for servicing/maintenance they have the spare set of keys :wink:

DAF95XF:
:wink:

Must be a welcome change from Culina.

Aziden:

DAF95XF:
:wink:

Must be a welcome change from Culina.

Absolutely :sunglasses:

Ziltoid:
My employer uses an app called Checkedsafe which emails them an alert if a driver takes even 1 second more than 15 mins to let them know they’ve taken too long

About a year ago our place had an app

Done away with the books use the app it ask questions have you checked the tyres press yes. Next have checked oil level etc.
Didn’t last long as everyone had completed the checks they weren’t always sending the results to the office .
We Had a lot of problems woth So we went back to good old reliable books

shullbit:
2 minutes!!! Straight from the horse faces mouth from 26 minutes 32 seconds in :smiley: youtu.be/4DYGpC8WS2U?t=1592

At the end of the clip he says he’s ready to drive off. His in cab sign says 14’ 6" . I’d pay good money to watch him drive under a 14’ 9" bridge, what with his trailer marked at 15’ 3"!

I wonder if he now works for B&Q.

Perhaps if he spent more time ticking his boxes and less time trying to tick hers he might just be safe to be let out.

I still maintain you should have to check the roof!

youtube.com/watch?v=J_8mdH20qTQ

I keep my keys with me .The only time i hand them in when i go on holiday or i leave it at the dealers for service.Checks i do minimum 15 minutes at the beginning and 15 minutes at the end.

I wish they would make it an hour by law…bring it on.
Then as far as I’m concerned, it would be alarm goes off, put tacho on work, back into bed for 40 mins (with pay) , get up wash clean teeth, and do the realistic 10 mins checks.
Winner winner, chicken dinner. :sunglasses: :smiley:

edd1974:
Here’s a. Question for any new pass. Drivers. (within last couple.of years or so)
What are you told shown about vehicle checks?
Am curious .
Just because lately our.place has.been.takig on new pass drivers…
And they all seem to have the same idea/attitude.

They check there Trucks over then sit there waiting untill 30 mins have passed then set off.
Our company has no policy don’t care As long as you start at time requested.
then do your checks etc.

I do wonder if that’s what new. Drivers. Are told on there. Lessons or on.the CPC courses. They do? Just. Curious why new passes do it.
Peorsnally don’t bother me if they wana.do there. Checks then sit and wait until half an hour as passed .
I’d rather do my checks sort stuff out then set off not sitting around.and waiting for no reason.

I had a bit of a laugh about this to myself on an occasion last year.
I was tipping in some haulage yard, and was sat having a coffee afterwards.
This young girl who looked about 18 knocked on my cab door …First thoughts ‘Your luck is changing Rob’ :laughing: , but she asked if I would mind moving, so she could get her truck out, then said something along the lines of (as if she was experienced :smiley: ) ‘‘Of course I will need to do my 20 minute checks first’ before I move the truck’',. :smiley:
‘‘Oh yeh, of course’’ I said in a serious voice . :smiley:

She then proceeded to put on the full hi viz clown suit, (complete with hard hat,) .and walked around ticking off a list on a clipboard…for EXACTLY 20 mins.
Ok, the kid was doing nothing wrong, she was doing as she was shown and taught. but as an old hand I just found it amusing how things have changed. :smiley:

robroy:
She then proceeded to put on the full hi viz clown suit, (complete with hard hat,) .and walked around ticking off a list on a clipboard…for EXACTLY 20 mins.
Ok, the kid was doing nothing wrong, she was doing as she was shown and taught. but as an old hand I just found it amusing how things have changed. :smiley:

I lost interest at that point when I realised that the story wasn’t going to involve a short skirt and a wet t shirt. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

robroy:

I lost interest at that point when I realised that the story wasn’t going to involve a short skirt and a wet t shirt. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

youtu.be/X1VgcxE9Lpw