Vechile check list

Is it a legal requirment to fill these out.

If so

Who is responsible if your the firm you work for does’nt give them to you?

It is a legal requirement to fill in a checklist, the bottom line on responsibility is always the CPC holder (certificate of professional competence) normaly the companies transport manager, but not always.

When I did my CPC I was miss-informed about the check-list and have it in writing from the Transport commissioner that it is indeed a legal requirement.

as an operator, you or drivers you employ are expected to use a defect book on a daily basis which provides a written record for inspection by vosa, so in the event that your stopped for a spot check and a minor fault is found on the wagon you can show you were aware of the problem and intended to do something about it. if you’ve got no record they assume that your not carrying out the necesary insections before you take the wagon out,something they take a very dim veiw of.
i would say as a paid driver it is 100% the reponsibility of the firm to provide you with a means of recording defects found.

When you do a vehicle check what do you check, every day is it tyres lights/indecators fluid level’s brake/reverse light, anything i have missed out rigid driver only so not sure how it is for the big boys.

if i missed much please let me know thx.

Load security. Make sure the horn works.

For an artic, add general condition of the fifth wheel (you’d be suprised :open_mouth:), is it locked in place if adjustable, suzies, any major air leaks. General condition of the vehicle exterior (I don’t want it in the neck for any damage done by the last driver if it’s not been reported by them :unamused:).

Plus the checks on the trailer.