Variety of Rigid Work

Just seen a feature in September edition of Truck & Driver about variety of rigid work and survey of various drivers. Just what I’ve been looking for. Makes me feel I am right in my decision to stick with rigids and spend the additional money on additional skill (like hiab for example).

Apparently they did a feature on artics back in May which unfortunately I missed. I don’t suppose anyone knows the salient points or would be good enough to scan the couple of pages and put them up on here?

Would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you attach what you have read also as I am very interested mate :slight_smile:

Can you attach what you have read also as I am very interested mate

I didn’t buy mag. It is the September issue so will be in newsagents for a while. I popped back to whs today and had another read.

Seems to suggest that rigid drivers are more happier than artics. Money for rigids isn’t much different to artics. There is much more variety of work. Few nights out. Most are working days. About half doing multidrop. Says that rigids are often sent to really tight spots :confused:

That’s why i was keen on what it said about artics if there was any negative opinions from drivers they surveyed.

I see, sounds very interesting, let me know when you see it come out, there does seem to be, every day is different and not the same with a lot of rigid work. Artic you seem to mainly be doing the same thing different day sort of thing?

You are more likely to find day work on rigids. Multidrop is common place but it is a way of keeping fit without paying for a gym membership. Yes it can be a crap job compared to artic work but for some its the better option. I love the job I’m at now and thats on rigids.

it so depends on your lifestyle and preference tbh as I feel some rigid work can be better then some artic work from what I have heard.

There are many different jobs in both rigids and artics, Have an artic licence will give you more scope for employment, but obviously you have to offset it against the cost.
It was easy when I took my test you could go straight to artics, so no brainier really and also most of the work in my area was for artics, so I’d have struggled if I’d only had a rigid licence.

I’ve done a variety of truck driving jobs over the years, including, multi drop in artics and rigids, tramping, agricultural, forestry, flatbed, low loader, trunking, RDC, fridges and Motorsport.
All have their good points, and bad points, although I can’t think of any good points for the RDC work at the moment. :laughing:

RDC?

TheTrogFather:
RDC?

Regional Distribution Centre, Normally large warehouses operated for or by the Supermarket chains, (other businesses do have centralised distribution) where goods are delivered to their warehouse and they then delivered to stores on their own trucks.

The idea is sound, but not the reality. You normally have a delivery time, you bust a gut to get there and then wait because they seem to have to many trucks to tip or just can’t be bothered, near shift change. They seem to be using the suppliers trucks as extra warehousing, meaning hours spent waiting to be tipped and no idea when you’ll be out of there.
You used to be able to sit in your truck, but now it seem more common to to have to sit in a waiting room and try to stay sane as the BS drivers tells all that’ll listen about how he got one over on VOSA, the Police, his boss, the customer, or he’ll tell you that so an so haulage company is going bust because his next door neighbour knows somebody who knows somebody who told him. Or how he’s really a multi millionaire and only does this as a favour for a mate. But probably the most dangerous thing he does is tell some poor newbie, his version of the drivers hours regulations, absolutely no point trying to put him right, he knows best.

There are good tips but a bad one if hell on earth as far as I’m concerned, I much prefer jobs here you unload the trailer and get out asap.
Luckily I haven’t had to go near an RDC for 5 years. :smiley:

Everyone is different why they do their rigid,did mine to drive artics,did a few years before C+E,there is the more variety on artics than rigid as for multi drop swopped 30+ drops on rigid for 5 max on artics,wouldn’t do anything else now tbh.
If your worried about the jump to artics don’t you done the hard work doing your C licence you will have the know how driving rigids.

Here’s a thought find a training school tell them your thinking of doing your class 1 have an assessment see what you think you will love it

Jeff.

Daytrunker:
Everyone is different why they do their rigid,did mine to drive artics,did a few years before C+E,there is the more variety on artics than rigid as for multi drop swopped 30+ drops on rigid for 5 max on artics,wouldn’t do anything else now tbh.
If your worried about the jump to artics don’t you done the hard work doing your C licence you will have the know how driving rigids.

Here’s a thought find a training school tell them your thinking of doing your class 1 have an assessment see what you think you will love it

Jeff.

Great advice Jeff! Glad to see someone positive on the forums :slight_smile: