Van leasing, advice, pitfalls etc

The boss has ask me to look into leasing a new van, had a look on a few websites, from the ones that have given me a price without contacting them, Nationwide seems the best.

Just want to know what catches in the small print to be aware of and what questions I should ask and anything that seems relevent.

I’ve also been looking a buying, I reckon some of the deals might not be much more than the monthly cost of leasing, Plus you own the van.

Pitfalls; Excess mileage if rent/lease or HP?
If you give up at least the van can go back,if buy it,it has to be sold at a loss.
If keep the van,tour Europe and Morocco for 3 months and convert it to a camper van.

Pitfalls: 1) Avoid having tyres included in the rates - far better to look after your own.
2) Look out for costs on handing the van back in a less than showroom condition (although TBF, the 3x VW’s we had on this set up recently all had fair charges)
3) Any non-warranty or non-service repairs will be charged at dealer rates
4) Re: agreements and terms… 'The devils in the detail!@

Good points: 1) Easy to budget for
2) Easy to adminstrate

Might be worth looking into leasing older vans too if budgets are tight. I got a deal last June for 12 vans at £100 pw each all we pay is insurance and fuel, and accidental damage including tyres. Vans are 3 years old when we get them and are put through a bodyshop before we get them so are like new. No cap on miles too which is good as they do approx 60,000 a year.
BTW ours are 4 vx vivaros and 8 vx movanos.

toby1234abc:
If you give up at least the van can go back,if buy it,it has tof rent/lease or be sold at a loss.

Still take a loss giving a vehicle on lease back early, most companies will require you to pay the full lease if returning the vehicle before the end of the lease.

Thanks for the advice,

Personally with some of the finance deals around I wondering if buying would suit us better. Although I’ve priced up the present lease with a bit extra from our normal mileage, any new van would be equipped to tow a trailer, so might end up doing more.
Our present van seems to be used by anybody and everybody that works here, and dents knocks and scratches mysteriously and nobody seems to know how it happened.

The boss wants a new van and we’d spec it up to quite a high level, plus it has to be suitable to tow a 3t trailer. I’ve looked secondhand and most late registered vans don’t have the extras we’d put in it or have been spec for towing. I should think most late ones for sale are ex fleet or ex rental, the high spec one are normally owned by one man bands or small companies and expected to last a few years and do a few miles before they’re replaced.

Where are you? Give Yorkshire van lease a call speak to Jayne or Richard tell them Ady sent you, if you want to give the van up all they ask is 3 months notice.
www.yorkshirevanlease.co.uk/

muckles:
Thanks for the advice,

Personally with some of the finance deals around I wondering if buying would suit us better. Although I’ve priced up the present lease with a bit extra from our normal mileage, any new van would be equipped to tow a trailer, so might end up doing more.
Our present van seems to be used by anybody and everybody that works here, and dents knocks and scratches mysteriously and nobody seems to know how it happened.

The boss wants a new van and we’d spec it up to quite a high level, plus it has to be suitable to tow a 3t trailer. I’ve looked secondhand and most late registered vans don’t have the extras we’d put in it or have been spec for towing. I should think most late ones for sale are ex fleet or ex rental, the high spec one are normally owned by one man bands or small companies and expected to last a few years and do a few miles before they’re replaced.

Hi, I can sort you a van if you need, short or long term to any spec you require, please feel free to PM me :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking into renting a van long term but the trouble I’mccoming up against is that no one wants to rent me one the minute I ask about Europe.