Van driving rules

Does the odd day spent driving a Sprinter van (Well under 3.5T) come under UK Domestic Rules? (Yes, I am recording it as Other Work :slight_smile: )

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think all you need to know is contained in the information under the Link below

gov.uk/drivers-hours/drivin … stic-rules

Roymondo:
Does the odd day spent driving a Sprinter van (Well under 3.5T) come under UK Domestic Rules?

YES

It also comes under the normal WTD which can be fully opted out of and if done that time does not get added to the drivers WTD

ROG:
It also comes under the normal WTD which can be fully opted out of

Is not correct, or to be more fair, is not correct in most circumstances if you’re delivering goods. On the days you are driving you come under GB domestic rules with an 11hr maximum daily duty time which includes non-driving work. The exemption to this is:

1. If you drive under 4hrs a day

2. Drivers of certain vehicles are exempt from the duty but not the driving limit, namely – goods vehicles, including dual purpose vehicles, not exceeding a maximum permitted gross weight of 3.5 tonnes, when used:

• by doctors, dentists, nurses, midwives or vets
  • for any service of inspection, cleaning, maintenance, repair, installation or fitting
  • by commercial travellers when carrying goods (other than personal effects) only for the purpose of soliciting orders
  • by the AA, RAC or RSAC
  • for cinematography or radio and television broadcasting

So for example if I’m delivering equipment to a customer I have to abide by the 11hr duty time. If I’m taking that equipment to the customer and going to do an installation of it at the same time I don’t.

It is only when you come under those exemptions that the WTD and any opt-out applies.

I am almost 100% certain that those only under EU regs come under the mobile workers WTD with all the rest being under the normal WTD

Happy to be proven otherwise though :question:

Thanks for the responses - I have the information I needed. Thing is, I already knew it but some doubts kept niggling away and making me think I was missing something obvious with regards to GVW of the van.