Van driving jobs for 'newbies'

Evening folks,

Something I’ve been thinking a while now but how hard is it exactly to get a job on the vans as a newly qualified driver? More on the distance work etc… Just thought I’d ask :slight_smile: And as I’ve not mentioned on here yet my test is next month on the 30th.

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

can get a job at ocado on a 3.5t van with no experience

I did it when I was 17/18, but I was working in the warehouse for a year or so first and the boss was a family friend so that kind of helped. I was doing multi-drop parcels/hanging garments/general freight all over Yorkshire in a Merc 308 (a Sprinter sort of van - this is 20 years ago now!) and loved it. It was a small family firm, but part of the Nightfreight network

Not sure what the policy of places of Royal Mail, UPS, DPD etc is - if you don’t try, you won’t know!

how old are you ■■ a lot of firms are insisting on 25+ due to insurance costs , good luck though

Thanks for the replies so far folks :slight_smile: I’m right in assuming getting onto distance van work is hard to get into even if you do have experience? And I’m 19, 20 in August. But should hopefully have my test passed next month :slight_smile:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Firms that run vans on distance work are few and far between really. Mostly it’ll be multi-drop stuff, within a certain radius of the depot. Check with firms in your local area - in my experience places that run vans on distance are really small concerns and it would be nigh on impossible to get in with a new licence

Might get lucky if you can find some small family run business