Van driver earning more than class 1 driver

P Stoff:

Juddian:
No, he means get a job with the few remaining companies who carry their own goods and service their own shops or customers, eg factory to customer or direct employed for supermarkets where you usually carry from RDC to supermarket, but direct employed by the company, not a contractor such as the green death.

Where the transport is really an extension of customer service, and not a business on its own competing in the hire and reward sector.

This is the sort of company I work for. I have worked on and off for 5 years with no issues as self employed but we sat down and went through the HMRC guidance and realistically I don’t fit that criteria. We did however negotiate a suitable rate and at Christmas I got my first holiday pay for 15 years!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

The point with self employed rate is that you should get enough to not only pay yourself holiday pay, but also pension and sick pay.

albion:

P Stoff:

Juddian:
No, he means get a job with the few remaining companies who carry their own goods and service their own shops or customers, eg factory to customer or direct employed for supermarkets where you usually carry from RDC to supermarket, but direct employed by the company, not a contractor such as the green death.

Where the transport is really an extension of customer service, and not a business on its own competing in the hire and reward sector.

This is the sort of company I work for. I have worked on and off for 5 years with no issues as self employed but we sat down and went through the HMRC guidance and realistically I don’t fit that criteria. We did however negotiate a suitable rate and at Christmas I got my first holiday pay for 15 years!

The point with self employed rate is that you should get enough to not only pay yourself holiday pay, but also pension and sick pay.

Agreed and that’s why the rate I have agreed is suitable PLUS I get a bit of holiday pay. They didn’t want to lose my services and I said I wouldnt work and be worse off so we are all satisfied including HMRC.

TruckerAds:
I’ve since left myself getting a job closer to home on 12.50 per hour/

So what’s the problem? You didn’t like what Ramage pays, you jacked in and got another job where the money is much better. And yet it’s still ‘boiling your ■■■■’. It’s nothing to do with you any more so leave them to it.

TruckerAds:
All I’m saying is isn’t it time drivers stood up for themselves and stopped letting greedy employers walk all over them we could seriously do with a nationwide union who drivers can turn too.

This outraged fantasy talk about getting organised into a nationwide union is spouted on here often enough. Given that you have suggested it on this occasion, are you going to put your head above the parapet and get on with organising it or will that be down to someone else to sort out?

Isnt the UK geared towards benefits as such with lower pay being topped up with working tax and child tax credits? Only by what i read on the net sometimes its not worth a man with a family worrying too much over an hourly rate/salary as to get out of the rut the money for the same job without any sort of top up would mean the job paying more than say double…?

AndrewG:
Isnt the UK geared towards benefits as such with lower pay being topped up with working tax and child tax credits? Only by what i read on the net sometimes its not worth a man with a family worrying too much over an hourly rate/salary as to get out of the rut the money for the same job without any sort of top up would mean the job paying more than say double…?

Very much so. In my previous job I had to deal with people suddenly refusing overtime as at the end of the year they had had their benefits cut.

There was 1 guy with 2 kids who explained to me that although he only did 20 hours a week put more in the bank with benefits that the single guy working 39.

The idea of topping people’s wages up was in principle a good one to encourage them back to work. Unfortunately it has gone to far where people now don’t want full time jobs as they can get the same without working

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:

Very much so. In my previous job I had to deal with people suddenly refusing overtime as at the end of the year they had had their benefits cut.

There was 1 guy with 2 kids who explained to me that although he only did 20 hours a week put more in the bank with benefits that the single guy working 39.

The idea of topping people’s wages up was in principle a good one to encourage them back to work. Unfortunately it has gone to far where people now don’t want full time jobs as they can get the same without working

Doesnt make economical sense does it. Rather than pay unemployment money theyre topping up low pay with another benefit disguised as tax incentives but in the end it all comes from the same pot :confused: Suppose it makes good reading re unemployment rates though…

AndrewG:

kcrussell25:

AndrewG:

Doesnt make economical sense does it. Rather than pay unemployment money theyre topping up low pay with another benefit disguised as tax incentives but in the end it all comes from the same pot :confused: Suppose it makes good reading re unemployment rates though…

You may have seen in the news about the universal credit thats coming in. Its meant to give a sliding scale that stops people turning down part time/low paid jobs as previously once back in work you lost everything which could easily leave you worse off.

I agree it doesn’t make sense but as you say it reduces unemployment so theres the answer.

I don’t believe that it was ever intended to go this far. I am only 35 but talking to my dad and older friends it is easy to see that this country went wrong when you became able to live a better life on benefits than you did working. I have no issue paying for people who have lost their jobs or genuinely ill but it needs to be a safety net and not a career option as it has been in the past

kcrussell25:
You may have seen in the news about the universal credit thats coming in. Its meant to give a sliding scale that stops people turning down part time/low paid jobs as previously once back in work you lost everything which could easily leave you worse off.

I agree it doesn’t make sense but as you say it reduces unemployment so theres the answer.

I don’t believe that it was ever intended to go this far. I am only 35 but talking to my dad and older friends it is easy to see that this country went wrong when you became able to live a better life on benefits than you did working. I have no issue paying for people who have lost their jobs or genuinely ill but it needs to be a safety net and not a career option as it has been in the past

Or you could view it as Dickensian employers taking advantage of the benefits system to pay their poor downtrodden employees a non-living wage knowing the state will top up with benefits where applicable. Even the Tories have started to wonder whether the state should continue to subsidise cheapskate employers.

TiredAndEmotional:

kcrussell25:

Or you could view it as Dickensian employers taking advantage of the benefits system to pay their poor downtrodden employees a non-living wage knowing the state will top up with benefits where applicable. Even the Tories have started to wonder whether the state should continue to subsidise cheapskate employers.

Maybe. However would cost of living have got so high without the benefit system? A lot of areas housing benefit pushed the cost of rent beyond the earnings of a working person.

I certainly won’t claim company’s are innocent but when people are turning down work as they are better off on benefits something is very wrong with the system

kcrussell25:
I certainly won’t claim company’s are innocent but when people are turning down work as they are better off on benefits something is very wrong with the system

Why would you view it that way.Rather than when wages are so low that it’s unviable to go to work unless they are topped up with benefits or not working is the better option something is very wrong with the economy.While have you thought through the results of benefits not providing some level of decent protection and competition against further downward exploitation by employers.So you remove them or cut them to the bone resulting in loads of desperate workers over supplying the labour market even more and looking for as many hours as they can get to compensate for the low hourly rate.Do you really think that you’ll be immune from the resulting unemployment levels and wage level bonfire across the board.

Having said that I don’t think that anyone even has the choice to turn down an offer of full time employment confirmed by an employer,in favour of part time work and then continuing to make up the difference with benefits.

What happened to a working mans, or woman’s, pride in being self sufficient.

Deliberately keeping earnings low in order to gain subsidies, from other taxpayers, namely those who refuse to put their hand out to the state.
Next thing you know they’ll be milking the sick pay, and still being subsidised.

Hope no one mentions austerity :unamused:

Juddian:

Deliberately keeping earnings low in order to gain subsidies, from other taxpayers, namely those who refuse to put their hand out to the state.
Next thing you know they’ll be milking the sick pay, and still being subsidised.

It went when you became “entitled” to benefits. It stopped being the safety net and became the way of life.

Juddian:

So let’s privatise the social security system along the lines of private income security insurance.Do you want a policy which guarantees to match your previous income level until you find suitable like for like employment.Or one which says that you must take any employment offered down to minimum wage.In which case assuming the latter what could possibly go wrong and where’s the ‘pride’ in a worthless insurance policy and having to take on exploitative employment terms and conditions and losing the house for the privilege as a result and who gains from that other than the low wage race to the bottom employers and worthless insurance providers.

kcrussell25:

Juddian:

It went when you became “entitled” to benefits. It stopped being the safety net and became the way of life.

Where does the contract state that the social security system was mean’t as as safety net as opposed to an income protection policy ?.While if not the latter then why would anyone want to pay in for such a worthless policy especially the type of rip off premiums being charged for it.Let alone not having the choice to say no thanks and look elsewhere for a better deal.

kcrussell25:

Juddian:

Over on Money Saving Expert is mumoffour (needs to change her name now she has 6).

Qualified accountant, works 16 hours a week. I don’t know the circumstances that led to her being a single mother. I do know from my perspective, I could never have had 6, what if I became single, how would I manage. Turns out the state steps in to the tune of a shade over 3.5k a month.

Same forum, Old Mother Tucker whose kids are grown up now has said it was pointless 're-marrying as to get the equivalent benefits he would have to bring home £500.00 a week.

I know three people that work in the NHS, everyone of them at some time has had a rant about other staff, who aren’t really ill, yet will take 6 months off on full pay. Then mysteriously get better just before the 6 months are up.

I’ve lived in my current house since '91. Chap opposite and hi s wife have a Downs kid. Every week she goes to a centre around 7.30 to 4. In those 26 years, neither of them have worked. I can understand one of them not working, but not both. The kid isn’t there during the normal working week. Big car on disability every two years, though the kid gets a taxi every morning and afternoon.

I’ve been unemployed and had benefits, I’m not anti benefits, but I’m anti those who milk the system. Probably worsened by the fact I live in a benefits town.

kcrussell25:

TiredAndEmotional:

kcrussell25:

Maybe. However would cost of living have got so high without the benefit system? A lot of areas housing benefit pushed the cost of rent beyond the earnings of a working person.

A good example again of the system actually benefiting the private landlords, not the tenants. And you have been misled regarding people turning down work to stay on benefits. That may apply to a minority but the vast majority of people in receipt of benefits are in employment, working for such crap rates that they find themselves in the position of having to claim benefits to get by.

Tipperdipper1:
Security duties■■?

If anyone wants to grab the load, well carry on as I won’t fight anybody who does.
I will sit in my cab and report it or be asleep anyway.

Same as any other (paid) nightwatchman then (many of whom are instructed not to get involved if miscreants turn up). It is your presence in the vehicle that provides the deterrent and for which you are paid less than 30 quid for the night.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

albion:

kcrussell25:

Juddian:

Over on Money Saving Expert is mumoffour (needs to change her name now she has 6).

Qualified accountant, works 16 hours a week. I don’t know the circumstances that led to her being a single mother. I do know from my perspective, I could never have had 6, what if I became single, how would I manage. Turns out the state steps in to the tune of a shade over 3.5k a month.

Same forum, Old Mother Tucker whose kids are grown up now has said it was pointless 're-marrying as to get the equivalent benefits he would have to bring home £500.00 a week.

I know three people that work in the NHS, everyone of them at some time has had a rant about other staff, who aren’t really ill, yet will take 6 months off on full pay. Then mysteriously get better just before the 6 months are up.

I’ve lived in my current house since '91. Chap opposite and hi s wife have a Downs kid. Every week she goes to a centre around 7.30 to 4. In those 26 years, neither of them have worked. I can understand one of them not working, but not both. The kid isn’t there during the normal working week. Big car on disability every two years, though the kid gets a taxi every morning and afternoon.

I’ve been unemployed and had benefits, I’m not anti benefits, but I’m anti those who milk the system. Probably worsened by the fact I live in a benefits town.

I’d be more than happy for these wastrels to be taken to task, we all know these cases exist and quite blatantly sometimes. But let’s remember they are the minority and don’t tar all who receive benefits with the same brush. It is estimated that annually,there is much more money left unclaimed by those who would genuinely qualify than is fiddled by the layabouts.

TiredAndEmotional:

albion:

kcrussell25:

Juddian:

I’d be more than happy for these wastrels to be taken to task, we all know these cases exist and quite blatantly sometimes. But let’s remember they are the minority and don’t tar all who receive benefits with the same brush. It is estimated that annually,there is much more money left unclaimed by those who would genuinely qualify than is fiddled by the layabouts.

Its all a question of balance isnt it? Stopping those who fiddle (steal from) the system, against having those with a legitimate right to benefits having to go through demeaning (and expensive) tests. Not an easy task. Some of the controversy on Disability Living Allowance testing is testament to this. I hope I never have to apply for unemployment benefit, but if I do itll be because I am entitled to it, not as a charity handout. Maybe some press coverage gives a somewhat biased view too? Pages of coverage of "dole scroungers", with pictures, against smaller pieces about corporate malfeasance gives a clue about some newspapers proprietors principles? Read The Sun and youd be forgiven for thinking petty fraud is a greater problem than global business and it`s excesses.

Roymondo:

Tipperdipper1:
Security duties■■?

If anyone wants to grab the load, well carry on as I won’t fight anybody who does.
I will sit in my cab and report it or be asleep anyway.

It is your presence in the vehicle that provides the deterrent.

Not in my experience it isn’t, I had a couple of scrotes in my trailer at The Fox Colsterworth about 10yrs ago.
It was still shut after Xmas hols, but well lit up.
The thing that I noticed more than anything else, was the total disregard they had for the racket they were making, …as if they had a right to be in there ! :open_mouth:

I was on for Brit European, so had a kooi on my back doors, so the only way in was through the front ‘headboard doors’ which meant them climbing on the back of my unit, to which they just bounced around not caring.
If I had been really brave I would have got out, locked the bastds in, and carried on…I was shipping out to Calais, which would have been nice for them. :smiling_imp:
If only eh? :smiley:
I wasn’t sure if there was another guy in their van, and/or they could have been carrying knives, also it was snowing hard so if things had gone ■■■■ up I could have been left and froze to death, so I just (wisely I reckon) stayed in cab, and just started up the engine until they (eventually) ■■■■ ed off. :smiling_imp:
I had no desire to be a (maybe stabbed) hero. :bulb: