V8 Actros

Has any of you lads had anything to do with the V8 Actros 480/530 Bhp? I am considering buying a 6x2 unit with the maga space cab on a 52 reg for around 22 grand with full merc history. The few I looked at had the 480 engine but there was one 530 there but only had the long distance cab. I really dont want a V6 430/460. I know the V6 would be better on fuel but I just don’t fancy one. Will the V8 average 7.5 MPG? as Im struggling to get that out of a 405 M11 ■■■■■■■ at 44 tonnes. All your comments would be appreciated.

:open_mouth: :confused: My 430 V6 is only doing about 8 average @ 44 ton.

dozer:
Will the V8 average 7.5 MPG? as Im struggling to get that out of a 405 M11 ■■■■■■■ at 44 tonnes. All your comments would be appreciated.

Has your M11 been checked out to make sure everything is up to scratch?

How does it run performance wise?

dozer:
Has any of you lads had anything to do with the V8 Actros 480/530 Bhp? I am considering buying a 6x2 unit with the maga space cab on a 52 reg for around 22 grand with full merc history. The few I looked at had the 480 engine but there was one 530 there but only had the long distance cab. I really dont want a V6 430/460. I know the V6 would be better on fuel but I just don’t fancy one. Will the V8 average 7.5 MPG? as Im struggling to get that out of a 405 M11 ■■■■■■■ at 44 tonnes. All your comments would be appreciated.

Have you looked at this weeks CM ? Report on the 2543, good feedback, reckons its averages 8.5. Also trucking International this month and last compares the Megaspace 500 and the 460 . Excellent review.

Ive also just noticed on page 74 of the Commercial Motor that for a 1844 04/54 the Cap price is £26,750!!!

Ive had the top end set up along with a boost sensor and the intercooler pressure tested. It wouldnt hold the pressure but they also couldnt hear any intercooler leaks so I put that down to a faulty air line or the airline valve leaking and not the intercooler. It pulls smoothly through the rev range now its been up rated to a 405 from a 380. when it was a 380 it gave up on a hill as soon as it touched it. It did 9.3 mpg this week running light with a 4.7 metre trailer.

Ive seen the reviews in commercial motor and trucking. I just wish they would do one on the earlier 480 V8!

I have a 2548 V8 Megaspace and it is averaging 7.5 mpg always pulling around 44ton. I would definately get another one when this is getting on. The work I do is hard on the unit but it does keep on pulling. Just steer clear of NSH :wink:

dozer:
Ive had the top end set up along with a boost sensor and the intercooler pressure tested. It wouldnt hold the pressure but they also couldnt hear any intercooler leaks so I put that down to a faulty air line or the airline valve leaking and not the intercooler. It pulls smoothly through the rev range now its been up rated to a 405 from a 380. when it was a 380 it gave up on a hill as soon as it touched it. It did 9.3 mpg this week running light with a 4.7 metre trailer.

Ive seen the reviews in commercial motor and trucking. I just wish they would do one on the earlier 480 V8!

Pity you did’nt persevere with the intercooler pressure test, the point of checking it is to look for a leak, if it is showing a leak then you have to be sure it ain’t the test equipment. If I had been you I would not rest for wondering if it was the equipment? What if the equipment was ok? Soapy liquid or a kids swimming pool spring to mind as an add on to test for leaks.

Checking the intercooler is only a part test. You have all the pipework and especially the inlet manifold bolts which are notorious for coming loose, this can lead to high blowby and oil consumption / blue smoke.
as well as loss of boost pressure, when you were in doing the top set you could have checked the bolts at the same time.

Another item that can give a low power complaint is the ambient air pressure sensor, these can fail within range and not throw up a fault code. What happens when this fails is the ECM is told the engine is at high altitude and it cuts back the fuel. Don’t go out and buy a sensor, try one from another truck.

Mind you if your getting rid of it shortly I wouldnt bother looking any further :slight_smile:

Thanks for that depablo. I had the main agents take it up a good long climb loaded with the laptop plugged in. all the readings were ok except the boost pressure. when we changed the boost sensor it pulled better and all the readings were ok but a whistle is still present and ive never heared a whistle like that before on an M11. Thats what making me think it was the intercooler leaking. all the pipes/clamps are ok and the turbo is a recon and is 7 weeks old so that should be ok.
I did check most of the inlet manifold bolts except the ones under the injectors. theres no smoke out of the stack when pulling and only a small puff of grey smoke when changing gear after pulling hard.

Funnyfut – has the telligent gear shift and all the other electrical gadgets been ok?? If I get one it will be direct from mercedes with a FSH. Does yours pull well? cheers

dozer:
Thanks for that depablo. I had the main agents take it up a good long climb loaded with the laptop plugged in.

Laptop :unamused: What happened to good old fashioned guages :stuck_out_tongue:

a whistle is still present and ive never heared a whistle like that before on an M11. Thats what making me think it was the intercooler leaking.

The intercoolers used to go in the lower corner, sometimes if you got someone to rev the engine to max rpm you could here a whoosh if you stood at the front grill.
If they whistle it was usually a hose clamp or hose with a hole in it, sometimes you had to look fairly close for the hole, if it is small it may not effect the boost pressure, just be annoying until it got worse and you could find it. Have a look around the external bit of the manifold, sometimes a test plug comes adrift and falls out, unlikely as the boost pressure was ok.
Good luck with the Actros if thats the way you go.

Dozer it pulls like a dream ask NSH going uphill it leaves others behind when fully loaded. Had a problem with the sensor on the trailer control valve but all ok now :slight_smile:

funnyfut:
Dozer it pulls like a dream ask NSH going uphill it leaves others behind when fully loaded. Had a problem with the sensor on the trailer control valve but all ok now :slight_smile:

I can confirm it definately pulls like a V8 :wink:

dozer:
Thanks for that depablo. I had the main agents take it up a good long climb loaded with the laptop plugged in. all the readings were ok except the boost pressure. when we changed the boost sensor it pulled better and all the readings were ok but a whistle is still present and ive never heared a whistle like that before on an M11. Thats what making me think it was the intercooler leaking. all the pipes/clamps are ok and the turbo is a recon and is 7 weeks old so that should be ok.
I did check most of the inlet manifold bolts except the ones under the injectors. theres no smoke out of the stack when pulling and only a small puff of grey smoke when changing gear after pulling hard.

I had a similar whistle on my Premium, being more pronounced when engine is under pressure. After a couple of days the noise was pinpointed to the heating system, try turning cab heater to cold its the only thing that staops the whistle in my cab. Renault still don’t know what is causing it :blush:

Hi Dozer, I’m running a 2553, also bought s/h from MB at Barnsley. On local containers out of Liverpool 2/3 times a day having to stop/start through 11 sets of traffic lights it returns about 7/7.5. Easy longer runs I can get it well over 8.
Pulling a low loader on a mix of motorway and country roads its nearer 7.
Mines an autotrans which has been o.k. until recently when a valve that operates the clutch failed (£1200+vat) , then the O/S suspension height sender failed (£315). but I did buy 2 years of warranty for £2000 which picked up the bill. Did have a couple of niggles which Barnsley could’nt seem to sort even after several attemps (they’re pretty good a painting trucks, but crap at mechanicals) but my local dealer sorted them straight away in a couple of hours.
Like funnyfoot said, they pull like a train but don’t make a big noise about it, they just rumble along until a hill comes along, then they rumble just a tad bit louder. :sunglasses:

it just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read, seems everyone who actually runs a merc rates em pretty highly, yet post the same question on the general forum and your’ll get a bus load telling you how crap they are :unamused:

Thank you for all your replies. and thanks Big Joe for the photo (nice truck). 2553’s are as rare as hens teeth! there are only 3 for sale in the whole country! ones a LHD ex jordon racing team truck. ones up for £29,500 :open_mouth: and the other is not a mega space and of the 3 2548 they have, they are ex Alan lodge :cry: But he does have 2 more 48’s coming in soon.