UTC and BST

Hi can anyone clarify the following. I know that if I start at 6 am during BST on manual entry this would have to be shown as 5 am on UTC. Does this also mean I would have to take some form of break an hour earlier than I normally would? Please don’t shoot me down in flames as I am only part time and I was always told there was no such thing as a stupid question!

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The tacho always records in UTC although the display may read BST. If using BST then keep all your breaks and driving hours within BST. If using UTC then keep all your breaks within UTC.
If you start trying to mix the two up then you are more likely to get confused and get into trouble.

JON :slight_smile::
Hi can anyone clarify the following. I know that if I start at 6 am during BST on manual entry this would have to be shown as 5 am on UTC. Does this also mean I would have to take some form of break an hour earlier than I normally would? Please don’t shoot me down in flames as I am only part time and I was always told there was no such thing as a stupid question!

No because the break you record will also be recorded for an hour before you have them.

If you start at 06:00 BST and do a manual entry to show a start time of 05:00 UTC time then have a break at 12:00 BST, it will be recorded for 11:00 UTC time, no matter how you look at it the time lapse is 6 hours.

Brilliant thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated and I’m sure it will also serve others well in the future with the same concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the age of the truck. As of 2012 Siemens released the new version of their tachos and all manual entries are done in local time so be aware of that.

Terry T:
Depends on the age of the truck. As of 2012 Siemens released the new version of their tachos and all manual entries are done in local time so be aware of that.

Ahh … but only if somebody has correctly set the ‘off set’ to + 1 hour. If the ‘local’ clock hasn’t been put forward to summer time then manual entries need to still be in UTC. :unamused:

I think the tacho manufacturers thought they were making things easier … but they haven’t because now drivers don’t always know whether to enter in UTC or Local time :unamused:

I’m yet to come across a truck that hasn’t been changed on the same day as the clocks go forward. And we have a huge fleet.