Usual gripe!

Just a usual moan. I’m parked at colsterworth and some bloke has decided to start up his engine. now have I missed something!! Why do people feel the need to let there engines tick over for 10-15 minutes at a time at all hours of the night? If its to warn off evil spirits or somthing could someone let me know!! :smiling_imp:

dukeofdirt:
Just a usual moan. I’m parked at colsterworth and some bloke has decided to start up his engine. now have I missed something!! Why do people feel the need to let there engines tick over for 10-15 minutes at a time at all hours of the night? If its to warn off evil spirits or somthing could someone let me know!! :smiling_imp:

prob to charge batteries after watching TV, microwaving eve meal, using dvd, lappy etc etc

Has the fridge started yet? Or have a bunch of foreign drivers started talking gibberish in loud voices beside you?
Tends to happen to me at M40 Wheatley! :angry:

green456:

dukeofdirt:

prob to charge batteries after watching TV, microwaving eve meal, using dvd, lappy etc etc

Yeah I did the same if I had been parked up for a few hours useing lots of power for things, more so in the winter when it’s cold, and you need a good battery in the morning to start.

I did the same. I would keep an eye on the battery meter on the dash and at the end of the night I would fire her up for a good 20 minutes to top up the batteries. Not much charge coming from the alternator at idle but there is something and it’s better than nothing and waking up to a clicking starter motor on a cold winters morning. Why do so many people expect to get a silent night when parked in a truckstop/layby/mwsa. Can’t handle it then go home and let the men who can put up with it get on with it.

Yeah I knew It was for the batterys I just felt like having a good moan! I rum al sorts of stuff at night and never had a problem starting up in the morning!

It’s not bad here it’s usually quiet and there pretty strict on no fridges running after 7pm quite a good truckstop if your ever passing!

Yeah happens to me with foreigners all the bloody time it’s like they all flock towards my cab as soon as my head hits the pillow! (no jokes about blue lights either…I turn mine off when I park up!!)

I can put up with it I just felt like a moan !!

Steve-o:
I did the same. I would keep an eye on the battery meter on the dash and at the end of the night I would fire her up for a good 20 minutes to top up the batteries. Not much charge coming from the alternator at idle but there is something and it’s better than nothing and waking up to a clicking starter motor on a cold winters morning. Why do so many people expect to get a silent night when parked in a truckstop/layby/mwsa. Can’t handle it then go home and let the men who can put up with it get on with it.

My thoughts exactly, personaly i can sleep with an engine running all night, that being the lorry or a fridge. And at the end of the day i’d rather run the truck for 15-20 mins last thing at night then have a flat battery in the morning, But i can understand that not everyone is like me.

I didn’t say i was trying to sleep I was merely asking why and havin a ■■■■■■ moan about it. Cheers for the replies…I think!

it’s a myth, starting your truck to put a bit of charge back in, you take more out off the battery starting it and it would take 40 miles to put the charge back in to battery, you are better off have engine running while microwaving, but running laptops , tv’s etc should not effect it

darren23:
it’s a myth, starting your truck to put a bit of charge back in, you take more out off the battery starting it and it would take 40 miles to put the charge back in to battery, you are better off have engine running while microwaving, but running laptops , tv’s etc should not effect it

That’s why when I start it at say 23v after watching tv for ages and run it for 20 minutes the dash then says I’m getting 24+ and still above 23v in the morning. Hmmm

Think yourself lucky you don’t live in Canada.Sure,during the winter the truck has to be left running,we all do it.In the summer when it’s plus 40c some guys leave the motors running for the aircon.But in spring and autumn when temps are moderate enough so only a bunk heater is needed,if that,can almost garauntee that a truck will park alongside on fast idle just as you’re dropping off to sleep,doesn’t matter if the parking space is the size of the moon,they’ll still park alongside !!

flat to the mat:
Think yourself lucky you don’t live in Canada.Sure,during the winter the truck has to be left running,we all do it.In the summer when it’s plus 40c some guys leave the motors running for the aircon.But in spring and autumn when temps are moderate enough so only a bunk heater is needed,if that,can almost garauntee that a truck will park alongside on fast idle just as you’re dropping off to sleep,doesn’t matter if the parking space is the size of the moon,they’ll still park alongside !!

Even worse are the ones with APUs, a donkey engine screaming its nuts off all night long, drives me mad :imp:

I don’t get the high idle thing, they take 2hrs to get up to speed with their ridiculous progressive shifting, then waste every bit of fuel they save leaving the motor at 1200rpm while they queue for an hr to get a coffee in Tim Hortons :unamused:

Tis like the reefer brigade,when there is the option of parking nose to tail,out of courtesy,they’ll spend five minutes trying to back into the space by you,before high idling the truck aswell.How I miss my nights away.NOT !!!

I was woken up by the wife kneeing me in the back at 3am today- and the fridge in the kitchen started just afterwards. As for foreigners, heard someone waffling in gibberish on their phone outside my house 20 minutes ago!

flat to the mat:
Tis like the reefer brigade,when there is the option of parking nose to tail,out of courtesy,they’ll spend five minutes trying to back into the space by you,before high idling the truck aswell.How I miss my nights away.NOT !!!

I have a reefer :blush: I can’t remember the last time I parked up in a truckstop that I didn’t have somebody idling or with an APU next to me, although with the nights getting cooler now I will, if possible, park next to another reefer, or failing that an APU, but sometimes I don’t have a choice in the matter, although to be fair we have late model trailers so my reefer is quieter than most APUs, I run it continuous through the night so that it isn’t firing up and screaming its nuts off every half hour or so, can’t really do no more than that.

A simple solution would be for the truckstops to have designated reefer parking areas, there’s more than enough room in most of them, that way it would lessen the impact, mind you, that’s common sense and there’s one thing that’s certain, common sense is not very common at all :unamused:

PS. 5mins reversing in next to you? Not me mate, I’m not that good :laughing: :laughing:

Muckaway:
Has the fridge started yet? Or have a bunch of foreign drivers started talking gibberish in loud voices beside you?
Tends to happen to me at M40 Wheatley! :angry:

just nip towards the village 1/2 at most and back of travellodge/asda if nights bud :wink: