Using truck for personal use

A solo tractor unit can be driven on a class 2 or cat C licence, it only becomes C+E once a trailer is added iirc

In order for a tractor unit to be deemed not goods carrying/for hire and reward the 5th wheel coupling has to be closed, a nut and bolt put through were the dog clip goes and the nut WELDED to the bolt.

Or the 5th wheel unbolted and removed, neither of which you’d do to pop into town.

PaulJC79:
A solo tractor unit can be driven on a class 2 or cat C licence, it only becomes C+E once a trailer is added iirc

In order for a tractor unit to be deemed not goods carrying/for hire and reward the 5th wheel coupling has to be closed, a nut and bolt put through were the dog clip goes and the nut WELDED to the bolt.

Or the 5th wheel unbolted and removed, neither of which you’d do to pop into town.

We need one of the driving instructor types to confirm which licence you need as I always thought it was a class 1, but you could well be correct. :question:

As for the removed/covered 5th wheel thing, you see that on some of the show trucks & vintage restorations, I thought that that was how you got around the HGV licence thing :question: It would deffo stop you using it for hire & reward though :exclamation:

Anyway, in respect of your waistline if you’re popping down the road for pie n chips or a kebab, surely a short walk would undo some of the damage :smiling_imp:

newmercman:
I thought that that was how you got around the HGV licence thing :question: It would deffo stop you using it for hire & reward though :exclamation:

Well both, You pay lower RFL because once done your vehicle is no longer for hire or reward and therefore Taxed as PLG

PaulJC79:

newmercman:
I thought that that was how you got around the HGV licence thing :question: It would deffo stop you using it for hire & reward though :exclamation:

Well both, You pay lower RFL because once done your vehicle is no longer for hire or reward and therefore Taxed as PLG

PLG tax, most of the British motors in Dover (port) in the 80s had that, pretty sure they all had fully functioning 5th wheels though :smiling_imp:

newmercman:
We need one of the driving instructor types to confirm which licence you need as I always thought it was a class 1, but you could well be correct. :question:

No we don’t, it’s been discussed at length on numerous occasions. You CAN drive a solo tractor unit on a cat. C licence. If you do a search you’ll find the appropriate threads.

Thank go for that!!! I’ve picked up the gaffers tractor unit when I’ve dropped my Class 2 Rigid at the dealers a fair few times now. As mentioned above its the trailer that makes it class 1 otherwise its just a very small class 2 vehicle :smiley:

I stand corrected :blush:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t have access to ‘current’ licensing information
C = rigid; a solo unit is rigid.
E = trailer - artic or drawbar/drag trailer - rigid

A driver licensed to drive old HGV3 (2 axles), HGV2 (2+ axles) pre-1992) can pull a trailer behind is rigid now class one or C+E restricted (under ‘grandad rights’.) Any driver licensed after that date must have a class 1 C+E license to pull a trailer over 750kg.

Any driver with a class C license can drive an artic unit without the trailer attached. (it is rigid)
e.g. fitter.

Take the fifth wheel off and register it differently you can drive it on a car license, or is that a pre 1998 car license?

An artic unit cannot carry goods. The trailer carries the goods.

However I asked someone about this and he said the new drivers hours law requires all driving/mileage to be recorded on registered goods vehicles. Also any driving to anywhere including from work to home in vehicle etc is classed as part of your daily driving/duty whether you’re getting paid or not…

Way back in 1988 I was working in a traffic office of a now defunct haulier, we had a driver who having dropped his trailer at Parkstone Quay in Harwich, ran of solo in search of fish and chips, withourt a tacho. Worst luck he was silent checked the following day. Ministry man turned up asked for cards, and found these missing kilometers. Driver got done, not much as I recall, but still got done, the firm wasn’t prosecuted as he was “on a frollic of his own.”

I always was led to believe that you could drive a solo tractor without a 5th wheel, on a pre 1998 car licence at 70mph in the third lane, because as it cannot carry goods it is classed as a heavy motor car.

acd1202:
I always was led to believe that you could drive a solo tractor without a 5th wheel, on a pre 1998 car licence at 70mph in the third lane

…apparently some drivers can do that even with a trailer on :wink:

bugcos wrote
Parked up last night, dropped trailer,and drove into local town for provisions, and a takeaway. Tacho was removed, cos I wasnt planning to do this. Put 10 k on the milage, was I legal doing this or not, as effectively the truck became my “car”?

Should av just popped the fuse out mate, no missing mileage then :unamused: :wink: :slight_smile:

bobw:
bugcos wrote
Parked up last night, dropped trailer,and drove into local town for provisions, and a takeaway. Tacho was removed, cos I wasnt planning to do this. Put 10 k on the milage, was I legal doing this or not, as effectively the truck became my “car”?

Should av just popped the fuse out mate, no missing mileage then :unamused: :wink: :slight_smile:

[/quote

Those were the days :wink:

So my mate in the pub said :laughing:

bobw:

But can still be detectable and with a bigger penalty when caught. If you are going to run over your time or are going to nip to the chippy then do it with the chart in, that way you will get the least punishment. No chart, falsifying the chart, pulling the fuse all carry far heftier penalties.

Coffeeholic:

bobw:

But can still be detectable and with a bigger penalty when caught. If you are going to run over your time or are going to nip to the chippy then do it with the chart in, that way you will get the least punishment. No chart, falsifying the chart, pulling the fuse all carry far heftier penalties.

And if, God forbid, a bairn was to come bombing out of a side street, or an old dear was to come round a corner on the wrong side of the road. That chart could just keep you out of jail