Using Tacho for first time

Hi guys first time posting here so not sure if I’ve got the right topic or not.

Soooo I passed my class 1 2 weeks ago. I’m waiting for my company to give me an assessment and then hopefully they let me out on the road.

I do apologise if I’m asking really really basic questions here.

My question is around using the digi Tacho card for the first time. So I know the symbols and what they mean but I’m not 100% sure on when I should use some of them. For example:

*I start my shift and get in the cab and insert my card. What’s the first thing I need to do and what symbol am I using for doing my pre checks?

*once I’ve done my pre checks and I pull up to my trailer to couple up what symbol am I using?

*on break is it just a case of selecting the break icon and then waiting say 45mins and then once complete I can drive away with the Tacho automatically changing back to the drive icon?

*once back to the yard and I’m uncoupling what icon do I select?

Thanks in advance guys [emoji106]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

First symbol you need…

To be on at the start of every shift is the crossed hammers showing other work. Do your vehicle checks in this mode.

When ever you drive either around the yard or 1000 miles across the desert the drive mode will automatically engage.

If your coupling up, pulling curtains, filling up with diesel, loading up, unloading, dropping the trailer and parking up to go home or chatting with yer mates about the new blonde lass in accounts, it’s the crossed hammers.

If yer parked up on the side of the A45, The Hollies, The Ritz or waiting 3 hours for Stobbies to put 2 pallets on you it’s the break symbol.

Nearly all tachos use the crossed hammers as a default mode so it will always show other work unless you set it to break mode.

Don’t bother with the box with the line through it called POA, it’ll just ■■■■ up your day.

yourhavingalarf:
First symbol you need…

To be on at the start of every shift is the crossed hammers showing other work. Do your vehicle checks in this mode.

When ever you drive either around the yard or 1000 miles across the desert the drive mode will automatically engage.

If your coupling up, pulling curtains, filling up with diesel, loading up, unloading, dropping the trailer and parking up to go home or chatting with yer mates about the new blonde lass in accounts, it’s the crossed hammers.

If yer parked up on the side of the A45, The Hollies, The Ritz or waiting 3 hours for Stobbies to put 2 pallets on you it’s the break symbol.

Nearly all tachos use the crossed hammers as a default mode so it will always show other work unless you set it to break mode.

Don’t bother with the box with the line through it called POA, it’ll just [zb] up your day.

Nice one mate thanks for the simple explanation [emoji106]

OP

There’s some software on the web that calls itself tachograph simulator. It’s translated from Spanish but works pretty well and I have used it sometimes in my training for students

Have a hunt about and download that. it’s free, not perfect and the accent is interesting, but it should answer quite a few questions and pictures speak louder than words I believe

https://www.driversdirect.co.uk/index.php/training/

This isn’t where I got it from but gives you the links for the different manufacturers as well.

Best of luck

yourhavingalarf:
First symbol you need…

Don’t bother with the box with the line through it called POA, it’ll just [zb] up your day.

This^^^^^^every time… Avoid Avoid POA, POA is for plobbers and pointy shoes. As long as your paid card in to card out the above is best.

biggriffin:

yourhavingalarf:
First symbol you need…

This^^^^^^every time… Avoid Avoid POA, POA is for plobbers and pointy shoes. As long as your paid card in to card out the above is best.

+1
Exactly, …As I’ve said before,.POA is just there to appease the likes of Tesco (instead of telling them to get their arses into gear to tip us) and to make it look on the face of it that we are not actually doing bloody ridiculous hours in our working day/week. :unamused:

Just be aware OP that a sizeable minority of Tachos default to either rest when you turn the ignition off or other work when you turn the ignition on.

What this means in reality is that if you stop to fuel up or book in somewhere for example it just may revert to the bed symbol when you turn the ignition off. Conversely you may be on a break period with the tacho set to bed and you turn the ignition on for raising or lowering your windows for example and it may default to other work, thus meaning you must restart your break. Just be aware of this possibility and keep your eye on the tacho when switching the ignition off and you’ll be prepared to deal with that.

the maoster:
Just be aware OP that a sizeable minority of Tachos default to either rest when you turn the ignition off or other work when you turn the ignition on.

What this means in reality is that if you stop to fuel up or book in somewhere for example it just may revert to the bed symbol when you turn the ignition off. Conversely you may be on a break period with the tacho set to bed and you turn the ignition on for raising or lowering your windows for example and it may default to other work, thus meaning you must restart your break. Just be aware of this possibility and keep your eye on the tacho when switching the ignition off and you’ll be prepared to deal with that.

Thanks buddy good to know [emoji106]

You insert card chip upwards and chip in1st not like in a cash machine can’t see a slot hold down button 1 and a slow will pop out to put your card into

Might get asked for manual entry press up or down select no press ok.

The number 1 button changes mode.
Choose x which means working .
That’s it
never use the square is poa is a bit pointless.
The bed shape is for rest.
Don’t have change mode when driving does it automatically as you start to drive.
Same when stop it changes to x .
Although check as some tacho change to rest mode every time you stop

At end of shift some may disagree but put it on rest mode for 1 min then hold button 1 to eject card