Using playstations or X Boxes in truck

I’ve pre ordered a Playstation 4 for when they come out and as I’m away tramping all week I’m thinking of having it in my truck so I can go on it when I’m parked up or I’m waiting for a long time for my next job or at an RDC(that allow you to stay in your cab!)
Is there anyone on here that has their Playstation or X Box in their truck and what’s the best way to run it, will I need a decent sized inverter? And what are they like for zapping power from the battery’s? I will only be having 1-2 hour blasts on it not 5 hour marathons on it.

I used to run a play station with one of the screens that clipped on the back. Used a smallish inverter and never had any problems. Also used a laptop to watch DVDS and could normally do two films before running engine for a bit.

Cheers for the info mate.

Was told by the head mechanic at our place that you couldn’t run the first batch of ps3’s even with a huge inverter as it drains the batteries too quickly,what with all the fans etc that were in it.
Not sure about the new ones check the power rating on it,then get yourself a big inverter and run it off an Anderson lead direct to the batteries is the way I would do it.
My mate has an Xbox in his truck and that works ok with a big inverter,after playing on it he runs the engine for awhile to charge his batteries.

Thetaff2:
Was told by the head mechanic at our place that you couldn’t run the first batch of ps3’s even with a huge inverter as it drains the batteries too quickly,what with all the fans etc that were in it.

There was only one fan in it. It drew a couple of amps. I wouldn’t listen to the bloke because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Would have thought you would need a 600w inverter minimum.

There used to be a place what used to sell conversion board for the play stations to 24v :wink: I once did the conversion on the old ps 2, was easy enuff to convert but you couldn’t use it at home unless you swopped the circuit board back
sure the place what did the conversions was round the Scunthorpe area? and was cheap enuff :wink:

Conor:

Thetaff2:

There was only one fan in it. It drew a couple of amps. I wouldn’t listen to the bloke because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Well yet again the resident expert on all things sticks his ■■■■■■■ beak in as he’s done a college course on how do things all electric

Do a bit on site then you might learn something!!

I will tell you what…mr know it all… You get a job,albeit with someone who will employ you… driving a said truck with the ■■■■■■ attitude that you have and run a ps3 all night then try to start the truck in the Morning then see how you get on…

Best of luck with that… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Ohh, ps4 very posh! I’ve got a ps3, I only bought it for the blue ray drive as I thought I may as well get a console bolted on it than a stand alone one.

Must admit I never used it that much for games as I’m a PC strategy gamer. I don’t like the joy pad controls, prefer mouse & key board.

I would say you’ll be alright with an inverter, I wouldn’t use it for more than 3 hours say.

Mark22_2:
I used to run a play station with one of the screens that clipped on the back. Used a smallish inverter and never had any problems. Also used a laptop to watch DVDS and could normally do two films before running engine for a bit.

As said, I run mine off the tv screen

I run my Xbox 360 and a 16" hd led tv on a 300w inverter and its fine have played on it for 5 hrs before (asda rdc) and truck fired up no problem afterwards

Joycey:
I run my Xbox 360 and a 16" hd led tv on a 300w inverter and its fine have played on it for 5 hrs before (asda rdc) and truck fired up no problem afterwards

I hang my tv in exactly the same place as you. But on a tgx.

I’ve got a 17 inch freeview with built in DVD player I used to have above the passenger side door of my XF DAF but I ain’t had the chance to get it fitted up in my Merc yet! :confused: Cheers for the advice lads :slight_smile:

spectron:

Joycey:

I hang my tv in exactly the same place as you. But on a tgx.

It’s perfect :smiley: you can even fol the backrest down and watch from bed

I run a led tv and x-box on a 24v 600w inverter no problems played for hours and lorry fired up ok next morning

Thetaff2:

Conor:

Thetaff2:

Well yet again the resident expert on all things sticks his [zb] beak in as he’s done a college course on how do things all electric

I’ve forgotten more about electronics than you’ll ever know and unlike you I’ve done it for a living. I doubt you have because you would’ve known what you were told was total crap.

Why would I need to “do a bit on site” to know that what he was on about was total crap? 2 minutes with basic electronics theory and in your case a calculator as well would’ve shown he was talking crap.

If you don’t like being outed as an idiot, stop posting such obvious rubbish as fact.

hi im very interested in doing the same using an inverter with xbox and small lcd tv using an inverter, question I have do you just use a multi plug adapter for both plugs of tv and xbox. cheers

Conor:

Thetaff2:

Conor:

Thetaff2:

Well yet again the resident expert on all things sticks his [zb] beak in as he’s done a college course on how do things all electric

I’ve forgotten more about electronics than you’ll ever know and unlike you I’ve done it for a living…

PMSL!! And you know all about me then?? You tried it for a living and failed like you did at shunting trailers in tescos in goole…FYI 4 year apprenticeship in electrical and electronics,couldn’t sit my AM2 exam as the firm I was with went pop so I was rewiring houses at 17 years of age so that’s ■■■■■■ on your chips! :wink:
Like I said on site not sat at home looking in a book…

Hope this helps but I doubt it as your so far up your own ■■■!!

Get a ps3 slim 70W, a normal ps3 is about 180W. Just make sure you keep the console out in the open when you play it, like in that picture or it might melt!

Source: im a better electrician than all of the above.

Also: amazon.com/G155-Gaming-Enter … B004XGN8W4

At least if you get an xbox you wont need your night heater :laughing: