Using our new digital tachograph

Hi

just the other day i got to use our new 07 plate merc with a 26ft box am sure :slight_smile:which has a digital tachograph . i got showed how to use it but i don’t think I’ve been shown the proper way . anyway got in the truck put the card in my boss sort of rushed through setting it up like country etc so am not to sure on the first steps of setting it up after putting in the card .if any one can help?

so then i pushed number 1 to set it to the cross symbol before i start driving is this correct ?

headed of on a 2 hour drive to my location .arrived at my location then done some work what symbol should i put on at this stage when am unloading loading the truck if any ? or do i just leave the tacho on the cross symbol ?

then i took my 30min break i pushed 1 and put it to the symbol that looks like a chair sort of lol :slight_smile: is this correct ?

after the break pushed 1 back to the cross symbol drove a bit about 1000 yards to the next drop .stoped it went back to the cross symbol done some more work
then pushed 1 to the chair symbol lol and had my 15 min break is this ok ?

so took 2 hours to get to my location ive had my 45 min break so i headed back to the depot another 2 hours drive .

but on the way back the tachograph started flashing about taking a break .but I’ve already took my 45 min i was like wtf then the digital display on the speedo
started says TCO driving time exceeded with a red light showing .

maybe I’ve done a wrong thing and I’ve kept driving for over 30 min while it was doing this :frowning:

anyway hope some of you guys can give some info on using this digi tachograph got work again on saturday no one will be at the yard so i take the old truck with analog tachograph :frowning: i would rather take the new truck :slight_smile: but i first need to know how to use the digitachograph properly . cant have it doing the same thing as the other day

a lot of questions there i know but if anyone can help that would be much appreciated

cheers guys
nov

The problem here is that you haven’t had your correct break, since April 11 you can only split you 45 minute break into two parts the first of which has to be at least 15 minutes and the second part has to be at least 30 minutes, you did it the opposite way round so the 15 minute break wouldn’t be recognised as a legitimate break.

Regardless of the type of tachograph you use this is illegal, to be honest I would seriously suggest that you brush up on the drivers hours and tachograph regulations as this is really basic stuff that any driver should know.

As far as the symbols are concerned you just leave it on the cross hammers when doing other work and it will change automatically to drive and back to other work as appropriate, you really only need to change it for the breaks.

First things first.

You cannot do a 30 minute break followed by a 15 minute any longer.
The second part of your break has to be 30 minutes.

This isn’t why the tacho was flashing red lights at you though. You must have had a fractionally short break in one of your breaks, so the total wasn’t 45 but 44 or less. If your 15 minute break was only 14 minutes, none of it would be counted.
You have to go by what is on the tacho display (or in a Merc, the dashboard display, they are linked to show the same), don’t go by your watch or timer. Your watch or timer may well be more accurate, but what is displayed on the tacho is what is recorded by the tacho. What is recorded by the tacho is what you need to keep your licence.

Here is a link to a thread about how to do digi-tacho’s. Have a look in the Safety, Law and WTD Forum too. There are a lot of posts about Dig-tacho’s in there too.

Out of curiosity are the new digital tachographs now programmed to recognise the latest break regulations, I would have thought they would be, don’t really know though.

cheers guys that info has helped alot :slight_smile:

(tachograph) just about 2 weeks ago before we had the new truck i got pulled up in to the transport manager’s office my boss who showed me how to use the digi tachograph lol. and he got on at me saying i was taking my breaks wrong having a 15 min followed by a 30 min break using the analog tachograph lol all along i have been doing it correct. just show’s you how much my transport manager knows about it eh .[zb] hes always getting my shifts wrong as well well thats another story :slight_smile:

cheers guys ive got the idea now on using the digi tacho.

(Simon )apart from say its 18:45 i set it to break just as the clock on the tacho turned to 18:45 .but by the time i push the button its maybe 1 or 2 sec’s after it has turned 18:45 .i would then put the symbol back to the cross hammers just 1 /2 sec’s after 19:00 ? and do the same for the 30 min break . i always go by the clock on the tacho aswell m8

i sound like a noob guys i know i am not really just the [zb] company i work for are a bunch of noob’s and have not tought me the proper way

i want out of there so much got my class 1 test on aug 31st i hope i pass get another job :slight_smile:

will have a good look at that link tomorrow simon cheers m8 :slight_smile:

language edit: If you have to put stars to get past the auto censor that’s the clue it’s not allowed…Denis F

tachograph:
Out of curiosity are the new digital tachographs now programmed to recognise the latest break regulations, I would have thought they would be, don’t really know though.

To be honest, I haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure they haven’t been programmed to take the new break reg’s into account.
I know that they don’t start counting until they reach 15 minutes on break though. They then count that 15 minutes.

Whats really annoying is that the tacho count POA as break. So if for some reason you take (for eg) a 15+ minute break, then you have 30+ minutes poa, it then resets the drive time counter back to zero.
Obviously it records poa as poa, not break, so you still need to take your 30+ minute break to zero your real drive time counter to start the next 4:30 driving.

opps sorry about the language Denis F it wont happen again.

can anyone tell me is there a time limit from when i take my 15min break to having my 30 min break ?

nov:
can anyone tell me is there a time limit from when i take my 15min break to having my 30 min break ?

You must start your 30-minute break

1. before you have accrued a total of 4 1/2 hours of driving time (drivers’ hours rules), and
  2. before you have accrued a total of nine hours of working time (excluding PoA) (WTD).

MrFlibble:

nov:

You must start your 30-minute break

1. before you have accrued a total of 4 1/2 hours of driving time (drivers’ hours rules), and
  2. before you have accrued a total of nine hours of working time (excluding PoA) (WTD).

thanks for that m8 :slight_smile: also does it matter if i go over say am taking my 15 min break and i leave the tacho on break for 15 or 16 min the tacho will know that its the 15 min i was on ?

can you confirm as long as i take a 15 min+ break and a 30 min+ which would then be over the 45 min is this correct as long as i dont have under the 15min and 30 min ?

That’s correct, as long as you take a minimum of 15 minutes it will count as the first part of your break and the tacho will recognise it as such, you should remember however that the tacho may not be programmed for the latest break regulations so will recognise any 15 + minute break as part of the 45 minutes, so you can’t rely on the tacho to keep you within the law, as you already know the regulation says the break must be either a minimum of 45 minutes or a minimum of 15 minutes with a second break of at least 30 minutes.

(tachograph) just about 2 weeks ago before we had the new truck i got pulled up in to the transport manager’s office my boss who showed me how to use the digi tachograph lol. and he got on at me saying i was taking my breaks wrong having a 15 min followed by a 30 min break using the analog tachograph lol all along i have been doing it correct. just show’s you how much my transport manager knows about it eh .[zb] hes always getting my shifts wrong as well well thats another story Smile

The lesson to be learned there m8 is to always do your own learning and not rely on what bosses/TMs tell you, reading the posts on this forum shows how often bosses and TMs aren’t up to par with the regulations, If you’re not sure about the regulations this forum is a good place to get information or advise as there are some very knowledgeable people here.

tachograph:
That’s correct, as long as you take a minimum of 15 minutes it will count as the first part of your break and the tacho will recognise it as such, you should remember however that the tacho may not be programmed for the latest break regulations so will recognise any 15 + minute break as part of the 45 minutes, so you can’t rely on the tacho to keep you within the law, as you already know the regulation says the break must be either a minimum of 45 minutes or a minimum of 15 minutes with a second break of at least 30 minutes.

(tachograph) just about 2 weeks ago before we had the new truck i got pulled up in to the transport manager’s office my boss who showed me how to use the digi tachograph lol. and he got on at me saying i was taking my breaks wrong having a 15 min followed by a 30 min break using the analog tachograph lol all along i have been doing it correct. just show’s you how much my transport manager knows about it eh .[zb] hes always getting my shifts wrong as well well thats another story Smile

The lesson to be learned there m8 is to always do your own learning and not rely on what bosses/TMs tell you, reading the posts on this forum shows how often bosses and TMs aren’t up to par with the regulations, If you’re not sure about the regulations this forum is a good place to get information or advise as there are some very knowledgeable people here.

thanks m8 that has cleared up alot of things i was not to sure about :slight_smile:

anyway of to work now hopefully the new truck is there to take out and try out everything ive learned from this great site over the last 2 days many thanks to all you guys for your help it is much appreciated :smiley:

will post later let you guys know how i got on

the orange light could have been flashing at you because you never acknoledged an overspeed,

tachograph:

Mine is a new one, and it’s not set to recognise the new regulations

Kate:

tachograph:

Mine is a new one, and it’s not set to recognise the new regulations

Thanks for that

Hi guys

thanks for all your help everthing went smooth tonight had my 15 min break which lasted 18 min for some reason lol . i got to my location the the dashboard display was saying driving time 2 hour 11 min and below that was my first 15 min break that was actualy 18 min long lol .anyway then had my 30 min and after that the dashboard display was saying 46 min . then when i started to drive again i checked the dashboard display and my driving time was back to zero :slight_smile: i know how to do it now thanks to you guys

cheers
nov

nov:
Hi

just the other day i got to use our new 07 plate merc with a 26ft box am sure :slight_smile:which has a digital tachograph . i got showed how to use it but i don’t think I’ve been shown the proper way . anyway got in the truck put the card in my boss sort of rushed through setting it up like country etc so am not to sure on the first steps of setting it up after putting in the card .if any one can help?

so then i pushed number 1 to set it to the cross symbol before i start driving is this correct ?
Would do it automaticly switching to Crosshammer when you move the Vehicle :bulb:

headed of on a 2 hour drive to my location .arrived at my location then done some work what symbol should i put on at this stage when am unloading loading the truck if any ? or do i just leave the tacho on the cross symbol ?
Crosshammer

then i took my 30min break i pushed 1 and put it to the symbol that looks like a chair sort of lol :slight_smile: is this correct ?
Yes

after the break pushed 1 back to the cross symbol drove a bit about 1000 yards to the next drop .stoped it went back to the cross symbol done some more work
You cant go back to Crosshammer after stopping,as it is already there :laughing:
then pushed 1 to the chair symbol lol and had my 15 min break is this ok ?
Don’t at all Time.Sometimes 30 min :unamused:

so took 2 hours to get to my location ive had my 45 min break so i headed back to the depot another 2 hours drive .

but on the way back the tachograph started flashing about taking a break .but I’ve already took my 45 min i was like wtf then the digital display on the speedo
started says TCO driving time exceeded with a red light showing .
You bad one :imp:

maybe I’ve done a wrong thing and I’ve kept driving for over 30 min while it was doing this :frowning:

anyway hope some of you guys can give some info on using this digi tachograph got work again on saturday no one will be at the yard so i take the old truck with analog tachograph :frowning: i would rather take the new truck :slight_smile: but i first need to know how to use the digitachograph properly . cant have it doing the same thing as the other day

a lot of questions there i know but if anyone can help that would be much appreciated

cheers guys
nov

If i read it right saiys the Workingtime directive you must do after 6 Hour a Break of a minimum of 30 min,and later another 15 min to have 45 min before doing over the 9th Hour.Just dont know yet if Break for Break is reqiered as i read it :cry:
Now,Driver-Law says you can do 45 min Break as split with first Break of a minimum of 15 min,which i have most with the 30 min of Workingtime.
Then,says Driver Law,that second Break must be at least 30 min,which were all together 1 Hour,which doesnt makes sence,as Break for agencydriver gets mostly not paid.
I just do after 6 Hour 47 min,if with Drivingtime under 4H30min,or i do 45min after 4H30min driving
:question: I am right :question:
I hope :wink:

Lovlyperson:
If i read it right saiys the Workingtime directive you must do after 6 Hour a Break of a minimum of 30 min,and later another 15 min to have 45 min before doing over the 9th Hour.

You read it wrong.
15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours and another 15 minutes before reaching 9 hours if shift is between 6 and 9 hours is legal

15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours and another 30 minutes (1x30 or 2x15) before reaching 12 hours if shift is between 6 and 12 hours is legal

15 minutes before exceeding 6 hours and another 15 minutes before exceeding 12 hours and another 15 minutes before shift end, if shift is more than12 hours is legal. Taking 30 minutes between 6 and 12 hours would remove the need for the third 15 minute break before shift end unless you accumulate 6 hours work after the 30 minute break.

Don’t know how strict your company is. But if its any help i always wait till my timer says 50 minutes or preferably 55 minutes. Better to play safe than sorry.

nov:
thanks for all your help everthing went smooth tonight had my 15 min break which lasted 18 min for some reason lol . i got to my location the the dashboard display was saying driving time 2 hour 11 min and below that was my first 15 min break that was actualy 18 min long lol .anyway then had my 30 min and after that the dashboard display was saying 46 min . then when i started to drive again i checked the dashboard display and my driving time was back to zero :slight_smile: i know how to do it now thanks to you guys

Sorry, but I’m afraid that this is an infringement under the new rules. To get a 46-minute total break, you would have had an 18-minute first break, followed by a 28-minute second break. Under the pre-April-11th rules this would have been legal, but in the post-April-11th rules, the second break period has to be a minimum of 30 minutes.

I doubt you’ll get prosecuted for it, though, unless it’s part of a mountain of other infringements.