Using mobile while driving

Thames and Hampshire police are testing trailing technology than can tell if a mobile is being used while driving.
Have no idea what it actually is.
But they have been talking about on BBC radio 5

Her u go google.com/amp/s/amp.belfas … 07798.html

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47896472

doubt if it will make any difference.although it’s ‘socially unacceptable’ to drink and drive…it dosen’t stop lot’s of people doing it…sadly,several people in my local :frowning:

Can’t be used for enforcement because currently it can’t tell whether it is the driver or the passenger using a phone so it just flashes a warning sign.

It always worries me when tech is rushed out with such obvious issues. Its like the facial recognition software the Met was using to find people with outstanding arrest warrants, it had a 99% failure rate.

Just watched a news item about this new system that can detect if a mobile phone is being used in a car then flashes a sign saying not to use your phone. Nice idea. Couple of thoughts though; it can’t be used for prosecution as it can’t say who is using the phone (or how & what for). It cost a small fortune, surely a sign that randomly flashes a sign saying don’t use mobile while driving would be just as effective (99% of people who see it won’t be using their phone so it isn’t particularly directed) & would save Oxford tax payers a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conor:
Can’t be used for enforcement because currently it can’t tell whether it is the driver or the passenger using a phone so it just flashes a warning sign.

It always worries me when tech is rushed out with such obvious issues. Its like the facial recognition software the Met was using to find people with outstanding arrest warrants, it had a 99% failure rate.

As ken Bruce said this morning the police already have a device for detecting bad driving it’s called a police car and far more effective than any camera

Mazzer2:

Conor:

As ken Bruce said this morning the police already have a device for detecting bad driving it’s called a police car and far more effective than any camera

I thought they just wait for people to tweet dashcam footage to them :wink:

Most of them showing the camera car speeding up to round abouts so they can beep at others already on there.

The blurb says

“The detector picks up 2G, 3G and 4G signals and will therefore flash to alert people in cars who are using phones to call, text or data.
If people are using a Bluetooth hands-free device, the detector will recognise this and not flash”

Well I use mine for streaming music from iTunes subscription so constantly using 4G signal and data so am I going to get flashed left right and centre near one of these detectors then?

How the hell is it going to know whether I’m on BT or connected via USB depending on truck I’m in?

Line about it not being used for convictions won’t last if they think it can be at some point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally think its a good thing they are doing what they can to clamp down on people who think its ok to use their phone while driving.

Just this morning I had a numpty on his phone narrowly avoid crashing into me, almost making me spill my tea.
If I hadnt been trying to light a cigarette and change cds at the time he’d have got a blast of the horn

I don’t need a hands free, sadly it’s only the kids that ever ring, only then when they want money. And if I need to ring someone when driving? Mrs teller is never off the bloody thing, I just relay it through her :frowning: unlimited minutes to her is nothing but a challenge to be risen to. When she passes, they will probably find her brain is like a heavily microwaved conker!

The-Snowman:
I personally think its a good thing they are doing what they can to clamp down on people who think its ok to use their phone while driving.

Just this morning I had a numpty on his phone narrowly avoid crashing into me, almost making me spill my tea.
If I hadnt been trying to light a cigarette and change cds at the time he’d have got a blast of the horn

:laughing:

johnteller:
… they will probably find her brain is like a heavily microwaved conker!

:smiley: Suspect there might be a few like that.

So essentially it cant tell if its any of the passengers inc kids in back, or the hands free cab phone or one of those wifi devices that some cars come with that uses 4G for whole car?

Or sat nav updating traffic. Hmm… Pointless.

And don’t truck tracking systems use the phone network too?

And these stupid pda machine things must connect to some kind of mobile network as well