Using internal Straps on Curtainsiders

hi all, we’ve been told by the traffic office that we must now strap all loads using all 26 internal straps now, regardless of whether it is cardboard lightweight packaging, 26 pallets of crisps or heavy reels of paper.

was wondering where VOSA stands on the strapping of light loads as i’ve spoke to a few drivers in the last few days and they’re doing exactly what i do when carrying a light load of 26 pallets, just cross strap the back 2 pallets regardless of whether it’s a back door tip or a side tip.

It’s not light 26 pallet of crisps or light goods are going to go out the curtains but i’m hearing VOSA’s going down the sides of curtainsiders and hitting you for an insecure load if they don’t see / feel the internal strap fixings on the trailer cheems.

Thanks in advance…

bbez:
hi all, we’ve been told by the traffic office that we must now strap all loads using all 26 internal straps now, regardless of whether it is cardboard lightweight packaging, 26 pallets of crisps or heavy reels of paper.

was wondering where VOSA stands on the strapping of light loads as i’ve spoke to a few drivers in the last few days and they’re doing exactly what i do when carrying a light load of 26 pallets, just cross strap the back 2 pallets regardless of whether it’s a back door tip or a side tip.

It’s not light 26 pallet of crisps or light goods are going to go out the curtains but i’m hearing VOSA’s going down the sides of curtainsiders and hitting you for an insecure load if they don’t see / feel the internal strap fixings on the trailer cheems.

Thanks in advance…

As far as i undertsand it, its now a straightforward factual question…is the load secured. There can only be two answers. Yes or No.
I don’t think…it doesn’t need it, its fine the way it is, the curtains are holding it fine, its going no where …are alternatives to yes or no.
See what someone else says…

Been told if the straps are fitted they must be used and VOSA can and will check vehs

thanks guys, looks like i’ll be strapping everything now to avoid fines / prohibs

Hello all,First post so be gentle.
I asked this same question to the fella that does our cpc courses and he said nonsense!.
“I have never heard of this and you dont see Kendals(bagged aggrigates lorries)strapping every bag”
A load is a load be it in a curtain or a flatbed.
We do a lot of fertilizer in either tonne or 600kg bags using these internal straps…Most places are so health and safety conciouse we are not allowed to be outside the vehicle when loading,So how are we supposed to strap without climbing all over the load after loading?Plus our employers have stressed we are not supposed to be in the trailer at all.One big grey area me thinks.
There were a lot of rumours of drivers being fined 2 grand by vosa for not strapping down and having asked left right and center i couldn’t find anyone who actually was fined for this.
I still dont use the intrnal straps for every load,Neither does any of the other drivers in our fleet.I only use them for high pallet loads.
Im no expert but it may be different if you had an adr load…Hopefully someone on here can provide a definate yes or no.

urban859:
Been told if the straps are fitted they must be used and VOSA can and will check vehs

Who told you that?

A set of straps fastened to the roof are hardly going to secure a JCB, a pack of aluminium plate or a steel coil.

It is like securing a baby in a child seat with a baby bouncer

The guidance as issued to VOSA examiners has been published elsewhere on here and it is quite straight forward. http://www.fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloads/loading_of_vehicles/vosa_enforcement_matrix120307.pdf

A load of light palletised goods (less than 400kg per pallet) for example - NO load securing at all will result in a prohibition. Inadeqaute load securing (i.e internal straps) will result in Advisory only. Far better than a prohibition.

Internal straps are clasified as containment - not restraint. They do not usually have a lashing capacity (but sometimes are labelled accordingly) and so cannot be relied upon as restraint as their capacity to withold the load is uknown.

No attempt to restrain a load on a curtain sider, flat etc will result in a prohibition - VOSAs own guidance says so.

The Road traffic Act states (roughly)
A person is guilty of using a vehicle in a DANGEROUS CONDITION if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when the purpose for which it is used or the weight position or distribution of its load, OR THE MANNER IN WHICH IT IS SECURED is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.
THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR THIS OFFENCE IF COMMITTED IN RESPECT OF A GOODS VEHICLE IS A £5000 FINE, PLUS 3 PENALTY POINTS AND DISQUALIFICATION.

A person is to be regarded as DRIVING DANGEROUSLY if it would be obvious to a COMPETENT and CAREFUL driver that driving the vehicle in its current state would be dangerous.

In determining the state of the vehicle for this purpose, regard may be had to anything attached or carried on or in it and to the manner in which it is ATTACHED or carried

THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR DANGEROUS DRIVING IS 2 YEARS IMPRISONMENT.
THE MAXIMUM PENALTY FOR CAUSING DEATH BY DANGEROUS DRIVING IS 10 YEARS IMPRISONMENT.

SUrely it is worth making an attempt to secure the load as best you can within reason taking into account the situation and individual circumstances.

bones1966:
Hello all,First post so be gentle.
I asked this same question to the fella that does our cpc courses and he speaks nonsense!.

Hi bones1966,

I fixed what you said above. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

bones1966:
We do a lot of fertilizer in either tonne or 600kg bags using these internal straps…Most places are so health and safety conciouse we are not allowed to be outside the vehicle when loading, So how are we supposed to strap without climbing all over the load after loading?Plus our employers have stressed we are not supposed to be in the trailer at all.One big grey area me thinks.

There’s no grey area mate.
Loads must be secured, that’s it, end of.
Now for these H&S conscious places, it’s their problem to provide you with assistance to help you to comply with the law, and it’s insufficient to tell you that you can’t do x, y or z on their premises becuase they’re the ones who want the stuff moving. A lot of places provide platforms and steps to assist you in securing your load, and your employer might also consider a harness and fall-arrest system. I know it all sounds like barmy overkill, but that’s the way of it lately.

bones1966:
Im no expert but it may be different if you had an adr load…

Here’s what ADR says about securing dangerous goods:

Where appropriate the vehicle or container shall be fitted with devices to facilitate securing
and handling of the dangerous goods. Packages containing dangerous substances and
unpackaged dangerous articles shall be secured by suitable means capable of restraining the
goods (such as fastening straps, sliding slatboards, adjustable brackets) in the vehicle or
container in a manner that will prevent any movement during carriage which would change
the orientation of the packages or cause them to be damaged. When dangerous goods are
carried with other goods (e.g. heavy machinery or crates), all goods shall be securely fixed or
packed in the vehicles or containers so as to prevent the release of dangerous goods.
Movement of packages may also be prevented by filling any voids by the use of dunnage or
by blocking and bracing. Where restraints such as banding or straps are used, these shall not
be over-tightened to cause damage or deformation of the package.

ADR also has a little footnote to the above quote:

Guidance on the stowage of dangerous goods can be found in the European Best Practice Guidelines on Cargo Securing for Road Transport published by the European Commission. Other guidance is also available from competent authorities and industry bodies.

:arrow_right: Here’s a link to Cargo Securing for Road Transport

This is very embarassing but I have to ask because I want to know. :blush:

After having driven curtainsiders for years on agency I’ve never yet even come across one with those internal hanging straps, except for just one but I was only driving it empty back to base so never used them.

Only ever strapped loads with ratchets while working on flatbeds, and I’m alright with ratchet straps.

So I don’t know how to use those hanging internals - is there a guide on here somewhere for it, because I would rather start strapping my loads down on curtainsiders if it’s a legal requirement. But they really should include this in your training/test to be honest, it’s a bit unfair to hit someone with a 60 quid fine and points if no-one has ever even shown you how to do what you’re required to do. :confused:

COOKiEEES!!:
This is very embarassing but I have to ask because I want to know. :blush:

After having driven curtainsiders for years on agency I’ve never yet even come across one with those internal hanging straps, except for just one but I was only driving it empty back to base so never used them.

Only ever strapped loads with ratchets while working on flatbeds, and I’m alright with ratchet straps.

So I don’t know how to use those hanging internals - is there a guide on here somewhere for it, because I would rather start strapping my loads down on curtainsiders if it’s a legal requirement. But they really should include this in your training/test to be honest, it’s a bit unfair to hit someone with a 60 quid fine and points if no-one has ever even shown you how to do what you’re required to do. :confused:

The problem with the legislation and the monkey hangers straps is that they do two opposite things. You are not strapping anything “down” with overhead straps, you are simply nipping them together

'Owdoo…I’ve not posted

My question is: given the new guidelines following VOSA’s two year review of safe loading is there a legal requirement to have the internal straps in place and deployed?
Cardboard bales, three high.

Cheers.

Check the tables here http://www.fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloads/loading_of_vehicles/vosa_enforcement_matrix120307.pdf

I would imagine your load will come out as a category C and with NO load securing end up a C1 which could result in a prohibition.

If the straps are there - and used - this would probably mean it equates to a C2 or C3 - which is advisory. better than a prohibition anyday.

VOSA have also clarifed that they won’t be going out of their way to check inside curtains. Only if they have reason to suspect there is an issue. i.e. bulging curtains, vehicle leaning to one side etc.

I think it goes without saying - internal straps are pretty much useless as load restraint. They are classed as containment. if they are there - use them! if not there then use something else. I would work on the principal that SOME load securing is better than NONE. :wink:

I never use the internal straps, as they are not for securing loads. Would much rather use ratchet straps attached to the chassis (or internal hooks if not). NEVER to a rope hook though, they aren’t strong enough in my opinion.

Thanks guys…

I was an 18t curtainsider for a company via the agency and told them about this VOSA thing and they disbelieved me. I strapped the pallet where I could and they reckoned the item was secure to the pallet. I guess I could have run a strap from the side front sections where the poles clipped in but didn’t.

They have had their revenge, I am now on a 7.5t flatbed learning how to net and rope the loads. It would be roping and sheeting except their tackle is so old and knackered it often doesn’t work properly. They have frequently moaned it takes me 30-45m to secure the load properly with this netting stuff.

I’ve also had a pay cut from £8ph to £7.25 and the agreed pay amount has been conveniently ‘forgotten’ by the agency :frowning:

So far no company that I have gone to has even believed that VOSA are doing this and I am just trying to make trouble. I have tried to print out that blasted VOSA document and it came out with large black squares where the ‘matrix’ would be.

They clearly were also not impressed when I used a ratchet strap to secure part of the netting where the rope had broken, but I got the job done…

I strap everything with the internals, even on a loadbearing curtain! However I know that this is inadequate and only serves to reduce the bulge in the curtain if it shifts, some of our loads you can’t use ratchets without damaging the load (bottled pop/water/biscuits) or the tension just cuts straight through the pallet. It’s a pita when unloading on a dock/taillift as you often have to undo the curtains to sort the straps out. I upset a forkie recently when I picked a loaded trailer up and the straps were all trapped against the headboard. :bulb: It would be a nice idea if the customer actually wrapped the load to the pallet.

If it goes ■■■■ up, there are few loads that we carry that would be contained/restrained unless they were sheeted inside the curtain :open_mouth: . The big/heavy stuff (IBC’s, 6m packs of pipe, palletised machinery & reels, masonry) get ratcheted to the chassis, easier to retension (if required) without opening curtains. Bulk bags :confused: :question: , I still don’t have an answer for other than using dropsides, I currently cross the internals sideways. The important thing is to drive to the conditions, defensively, and make a reasonable attempt to secure whatever’s behind me.