Using digi card and changing to 3.5 tonne vehicle

OK…if I am using my digicard in the morning say up until mid day and then I take a break. Then after my break I use another work vehicle which is actually a 3.5 ton vehicle without a dig card machine…what should I do with my digicard during the time on the second vehicle. Should I leave it in the first on mode, other work, or should I take the card with me and then do a manual entry on the following work day? And what entry should I make? I guess other work. But if I do that for over 6 hours, will I then need to make an entry for a break? Thanks in advance.

Manual entry the next day showing at work. That will cover you quite nicely.

^^^^^ That. Do not leave it in the first vehicle on other work. Too much scope for disaster, somebody may move the vehicle, you may be delayed in the van and thus your card may show for example 6 hours of uninterrupted work or worse.

OK thanks for the replies. So you would have to manually enter the breaks as well?

Mooping:
OK thanks for the replies. So you would have to manually enter the breaks as well?

Yes.

I’ve found…

It’s a good idea to write down your manual entries before you input them. It’s really easy to get halfway through something and then think ‘what happened when I left Blah Blah transport after lunch, was that two or half two?’ If ever I’ve made a mess doing a manual entry it’s beacuse I was at a loss what to input next.

My last infringment years ago…76 hours of other work in a row.

No, I didn’t sign for it.

You could do it as a manual entry or just enter everything since taking the card out as ? symbol. Then keep a diary of your time in the other vehicle and make sure you keep that with you.

The latter is perhaps less prone to problems. The ? is seen as anything outside tacho regs but still means you are recording the fact that during some of that time you were working. It also counts as break for WTD.

Also keep the card with you. As you’re still in a commercial vehicle, VOSA could still stop you and if they find out you normally drive a 7.5T+ they might be happier if they can check your card. Ie, make sure you aren’t working during daily rest for example.

Finally, remember a manual entry is no more legal proof of what you’ve done than a diary. Its a declaration from you, but only the tacho machine can provide a legally declared record. Just makes calculating WTD and such a bit easier that’s all.

yourhavingalarf:
I’ve found…

It’s a good idea to write down your manual entries before you input them. It’s really easy to get halfway through something and then think ‘what happened when I left Blah Blah transport after lunch, was that two or half two?’ If ever I’ve made a mess doing a manual entry it’s beacuse I was at a loss what to input next.

My last infringment years ago…76 hours of other work in a row.

No, I didn’t sign for it.

Also a good idea to do a printout of your manual entries before you press the accept button. 76hrs of crossed hammers would stick out like a sore thumb on a printout :open_mouth:

Thank you all for your replies.