Using a works lorry for personal use

Do I need to use my tacho card like usual for using a work lorry for personal use for a few hours?

Depends I suppose on what personal use is? I’m surprised any firm lets you to be honest.

Guess putting it on ’ out of scope ’ will be the option of choice

I’m moving so using my lorry I use at work. What I’m thinking is if I’m using it on a Sunday after a 6 day week, I’m sure not how it will work…

Do they not have a 7.5 you can use? Anything above requires tacho use, but you can drive a 7.5 with no card in if you’re not earning from driving it (or that’s what I’ve always been led to believe)

To be honest , neither do I !

I’d personally still opt for the out of scope option .

Does make you wonder seeing as your a Digicard holder and using a vehicle you need one for normally .

Pretty sure if you hire one for personal use they don’t expect you to have a digicard so they must run on ‘without card inserted’ a lot.

As its your firms they can’t do that or have to account for why it’s running like that ?

Have you asked what they want you to do?

Over 7.5t for personal use comes in scope of EU Drivers Hours Rules so can’t be used as a rest day.

7.5t can be used for personal use ‘out of scope’

PaulNowak:
Do they not have a 7.5 you can use? Anything above requires tacho use, but you can drive a 7.5 with no card in if you’re not earning from driving it (or that’s what I’ve always been led to believe)

7.5t still same regs as anything over!

If they have a sprinter size then ask for that

shep532:
Over 7.5t for personal use comes in scope of EU Drivers Hours Rules so can’t be used as a rest day.

7.5t can be used for personal use ‘out of scope’

Ok learnt something !

I assume that’s because it’s above ‘ordinary’ licence ie C1 you used to get passing car test ?

Never thought of it that way. Nearly borrowed my 26t a few weeks back to move some stuff. Maybe avoided a problem I didn’t think of!

Well when I worked at big firm a few years ago the driving staff could borrow anything from a van up to 26tonners but not overnight.

This is a small firm now,
I’ve asked to borrow my lorry but the tacho bit only occurred to me this evening so I thought I’d ask on here

Ok after ‘research’.

You can use anything up to 7.5t and not have to use a digicard but you must have C1 licence

Anything over requires use of digicard whether for private use or not, obviously this means you will interrupt any rest period and drive time etc will count against your normal working week

Glad I didn’t borrow my truck now!

So on a 6 day week realistically I couldn’t use it, but I work alternate Saturday’s so I’m guessing on a 5 day week I’m good to use it for a day.

Thanks for that

fordboxer:
So on a 6 day week realistically I couldn’t use it, but I work alternate Saturday’s so I’m guessing on a 5 day week I’m good to use it for a day.

Thanks for that

Not necessarily , as you already work alternate Saturday depending on hours etc you ‘probably’ couldn’t as those 5 day weeks are being used to payback your 6 day weeks reduced rest hence you can’t do a Sat previously then use a vehicle the following week as you’d not get a full rest in!

Complicated crap and only industry I know where you can’t get a second weekend job to supplement your wage !!

Ah right I see.
I know tell me about it!

dcgpx:
Ok after ‘research’.

You can use anything up to 7.5t and not have to use a digicard but you must have C1 licence

Anything over requires use of digicard whether for private use or not, obviously this means you will interrupt any rest period and drive time etc will count against your normal working week

I thought I was right about that.

PaulNowak:

dcgpx:
Ok after ‘research’.

I thought I was right about that.

I stand corrected!

I always used to use my truck on the end of a shift if I was ok for hours and it wouldn’t impact on my start time for the next day, failing that, there used to be a 7.5 demonstrator we had on long term loan, TM always let us use that, as it didn’t have a tracker on in, it had a tail lift, and boss didn’t give a monkeys what was on the tacho.

Horsey people using private LGVs over 7.5 tonnes GVW come under full EU regs which is why most use 7.5 tonners

Aaah, wot a road of borrocks (Benny Hill) So you can’t drive a certain class of vehicle because of your working hours, but you can use a different class to do exactly the same job, even if using a smaller vehicle means you have to make two trips instead of one, meaning that your moving job takes longer. :unamused:

just be grateful that HMRC don’t want it declaring as “benefits in kind” and tax you on it :slight_smile:

dcgpx:

fordboxer:

Thanks for that

Not necessarily , as you already work alternate Saturday depending on hours etc you ‘probably’ couldn’t as those 5 day weeks are being used to payback your 6 day weeks reduced rest hence you can’t do a Sat previously then use a vehicle the following week as you’d not get a full rest in!

Complicated crap and only industry I know where you can’t get a second weekend job to supplement your wage !!

Although its done on hours not days. Depends how long you work on a saturday, and what your monday start time is.