Using 24v Waeco Kettle in Scania

Tried searching but not found an exact answer.

It’s occurred to me I am spending a bomb on takeout coffees, not being able to do without a brew I am considering investing in a cab kettle to carry. The Waeco ones seem the most well regarded. Am looking at the 24v volt one but a few reviews in the comments on Amazon say you need to be careful the socket in the truck can handle the wattage.

The kettle pulls 380watts. If I bought the kettle & a hella adapter and plugged it into the 24v socket facing the passenger seat in a Scania, would it work or blow up?

A gas stove isn’t an option by way of some company policy.

If you want to use a 24 v kettle get your workshop guys to check out the amperage to your 24v outlet, I once plugged a 24v kettle into the 24v socket on a Scania and burned a lot of wiring out, luckily the workshop covered for me, fixed the loom and fitted a separate socket wired directly to the battery.
My present truck is US made and as a result only has 12v sockets but even though it has 7 of them scattered around the cab, they are all different amps, my fridge kept blowing fuses until I located which socket had the highest amp setting.

Dont bother with adapter will not work you will need a 30 amp hella plug
just cut the plug it comes with off and re wire the new plug and away you
go i had to do that,its the recommended way to go i got mine from cdc truck
shop.

Get a gas stove and kettle far quicker and a lot less hassle

Got one myself and as stated check your sockets for the amps/watts capacity. Unfortunately I ain’t got a Hella socket (CBA to fit one) but get away with an uprated ciggy adapter and change the spring every few weeks.

I also carry a huge flask that I fill up regular and use the kettle just to whiz the hot water up to temp.

Works well for me and boils 2-3 cups worth in about 10mins. Running the engine helps but not for long or I burn out me tip.

Also got a gas stove for when no one’s watching.

Mazzer2:

This. Those 12 or 24v kettles are a waste of space, even the Waeco ones. You can buy the flat cooker in a case for a tenner or less and a couple of quid on a kettle and you’ll have a hot drink in a fraction of the time it takes an electric kettle to warm up

Actually do you drink tea or coffee? If coffee the Waeco filter coffee machine is a nifty gadget. Used to have one myself and used it so much until I gave up tea and coffee and caffinated drinks

Mazzer2:

switchlogic:
This. Those 12 or 24v kettles are a waste of space, even the Waeco ones. You can buy the flat cooker in a case for a tenner or less and a couple of quid on a kettle and you’ll have a hot drink in a fraction of the time it takes an electric kettle to warm up

rob22888:
[…]

When I was tramping I had a small two cup 24v kettle as well as the gas stove and hob kettle, I used to put the 24v one on about 10 mins before getting to where I was stopping even if that was just a quick pit stop in a lay-by to make the brew and then be off again, never had a problem with it tbh, it wasn’t a waeco one though it was just a cheap truckstop jobbo can’t remember the make roadking or something maybe?

Reef:

Mazzer2:

switchlogic:

rob22888:
[…]

When I was tramping I had a small two cup 24v kettle as well as the gas stove and hob kettle, I used to put the 24v one on about 10 mins before getting to where I was stopping even if that was just a quick pit stop in a lay-by to make the brew and then be off again, never had a problem with it tbh, it wasn’t a waeco one though it was just a cheap truckstop jobbo can’t remember the make roadking or something maybe?

Unless pulling hazardous I would still use a gas cooker company policy or not you don’t have to tell anyone!!

Mazzer2:

Reef:

Mazzer2:

switchlogic:

rob22888:
[…]

Unless pulling hazardous I would still use a gas cooker company policy or not you don’t have to tell anyone!!

What they don’t know won’t hurt them. When you’re down the road who’s to know anyway

Thanks for the replies, feeling although the electric kettle idea is too much of a faff to be honest. I work days & just wanted to keep it in the car and easily throw the thing in the cab & plug it in if I was on for a long day.

Looks like I’m gonna have to dig out the Stanley flask, the brew just never quite tastes right though :cry: