Using 12v devices in 24 v socket

can anyone let me know whats the best type of socket /converter
that lets you plug your 12 v phone charger or mp3 player
into the 24v socket in the cab

You need a voltage dropper. Put ‘24v/12v’ into an ebay search.

Most modern units have at least one 12v socket hidden sonewhere if you hunt around. The ■■■ one itself will usually be 24v.

Check your charger. A lot actually say that you can use them on 24V… It’s the input part of the ratings sticker (if it’s got one mind you). When I first started driving I panicked cos I had me birds sat nav and I thought the charger wouldn’t work or it would get fried, but that said it could take a 24V input. Since then I’ve used my phone charger in the cab and it doesn’t hurt it. it actually charges my phone faster too…

Yep, a mobile phone or satnav will nearly always run on either 12 or 24v, and has been said the input voltage will be marked on the plug.

Be careful in the winter with christmas trees; Idiot at the Motorist Centre years ago told me they worked on both voltages; It did until it started melting.

only 2 years ago i bought a cigar lighter phone charger on e bay
plugged it in , started driving and it started smoking and nearly caught fire

i am now thinking of buying this

amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Car-Tune … lectronics

i wonder if that will be ok to plug into the 24v socket

villa:

Me too, cab filled with smoke and took ages to get rid, also knackered a new HTC phone. Be careful of buying crap!

I’d advise never buy anything that Ahmed tells you will work on 24v if he has one of those “unlock all phones” stalls found next to a Sky TV salesman in most shopping centres.

I’ve got a dropper & an inverter I’d like to give away from my tramping days if anyone is interested…

I’d be interested in giving you a donation towards them :wink:

redbob:

villa:

Me too, cab filled with smoke and took ages to get rid, also knackered a new HTC phone. Be careful of buying crap!

Yep, beware of cheap crap. After my pukka Motorola charger fused, I bought a cheap charger to get me home. Worked for less than an hour (despite being rated 12/24V) and burnt out the micro-usb port on the phone. Tests on the kitchen table later showed the charger wasn’t regulating at all and putting out exactly what was going in: 24V. The failure mode of cheap crap is worrying. :imp:

Motorola aren’t blameless either, their charger’s fuse you can’t get at to replace. So that’s crap too!

villa:

I’ve had 1 it lasted about a week. It say 12/24v but usually wagons are running about 28v. Had loads of iPhone chargers. They only last a few week. Better off getting an inverter and using your house charger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

villa:

12v only, I asked Belkin

Be careful what you do with electrics, mobiles and chargers.

fingers.JPG

fingers1.JPG

finbed.JPG

finpho.JPG

Wheel Nut:
Be careful what you do with electrics, mobiles and chargers.

'kinell, that must have some seriously hot ■■■■■■■■■!

lankyphil:
Check your charger. A lot actually say that you can use them on 24V… It’s the input part of the ratings sticker (if it’s got one mind you). When I first started driving I panicked cos I had me birds sat nav and I thought the charger wouldn’t work or it would get fried, but that said it could take a 24V input. Since then I’ve used my phone charger in the cab and it doesn’t hurt it. it actually charges my phone faster too…

Hi

I am new to the forum.

I am a LGV driver.

Has anyone else used the 24 v cigar point in the LGV to charge thier mobile or satnav successfully?

Has anyone used the following web site: roadking.co.uk

Has anyone purchased the following, if so, does it work?
roadking.co.uk/24v-12v-dropp … 4-12v.html

Cheers

I’ve killed an iphone using a cheap charger cost 80 quid to replace on the insurance. I bought a belkin after that worth the extra money to know the brand is trust worthy.

I use one of these

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IL1DJCQ

£11.99 with free delivery

It runs off 24 volts or 12, no faffing about with multiple sockets/plugs/adapters.

Very handy, it charges my phone up at 2 amps which the cheap chargers fail to do, why 5 ports? I use it to charge the TomTom, Phone, eCig, Handsfree kit and tablet if parked up watching TV.

I find this very good, has a usb socket also to plug in usb’s obviously lol, mobile phone leads and the like maplin.co.uk/p/12-24v-digita … tips-a79gw

trubster:
I use one of these

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IL1DJCQ

£11.99 with free delivery

It runs off 24 volts or 12, no faffing about with multiple sockets/plugs/adapters.

Very handy, it charges my phone up at 2 amps which the cheap chargers fail to do, why 5 ports? I use it to charge the TomTom, Phone, eCig, Handsfree kit and tablet if parked up watching TV.

whats the na and a markings for ?