Useful mobile apps for driving

What apps if any do you lot use for driving? I’ve got two useful ones at the minute, the official tachodisc one which has almost everything with drivers legislation and another called TruckerTimer, this monitors and calculates your driving time,rest,other work and how many hours you have left for your WTD and two weekly period driving limits.

waze.
bit like a live satnav, but with a community that gets bigger all the time.
its handy for travel, traffic and accident reports, as people often post stuff up as it happens.

RAC traffic is pretty good.
Moto deals if you after stop in a services, might as well save a few quid if you’re buying the crap anyway.
Flashlight is good if your phone has a camera flash to use as a torch
Copilot GPS is free with 1 map, handy as a back up.
Mwaybuddy is supposed to help with truck stops, fuel stations etc
White noise player if you struggle to sleep with the sound of fridges etc

There are apps for most fuel card sites, keyfuels, shell, dkv.

Just downloaded that waze looks useful that!

Just discovered that if u have an iPad 3(wifi only, like me) and you haven’t updated it to ios6, you can connect it via Bluetooth/personal hotspot (tethered) to google maps…might be able to use that as a sort of sat navy thingy

My iPad 3 connects just fine via Wi-Fi to my iPhone 4 hotspot and is on iOS5, I do not connect via BlueTooth however, and the maps works as it should via the hotspot, I have not updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 either btw, not sure if that is the difference here, but both devices on iOS5 over Wi-Fi work dan doodly fine for me. HTH.

I run the iGo Truck Nav on my Custom HTC HD2 Android Powered phone as my primary backup to get me the last couple of miles in to somewhere new if I am feeling lazy :slight_smile: (That also connects to my iPhone 4 Hot-Spot for live traffic etc)

Actrosman:
Just discovered that if u have an iPad 3(wifi only, like me) and you haven’t updated it to ios6, you can connect it via Bluetooth/personal hotspot (tethered) to google maps…might be able to use that as a sort of sat navy thingy

I’ve already updated my iPad 3 and iPhone to iOS 6 :frowning:! Apple maps haven’t got it quite right yet have they ■■?

Trapster was a handy bit of kit. It alerts you to all the static speed camera sites… And it’s free… :smiley:

Phantom Mark…but from what I have been reading, that shouldn’t connect because they have no gps in 'em…left Warwick svcs tonight but it wouldn’t track me, after easily pinpointing me n there! TFTH :wink:

Kevwall…went out and purchased a ‘3’ before they got pulled from the shelves as I didn’t want the ‘4’ on ios6 with the crap maps! my phone is on ‘5’ and the maps are ■■■■■ atm!

I have a Blackbox app called Kimgisa I find it extremely good and easy to use.

Actrosman:
Phantom Mark…but from what I have been reading, that shouldn’t connect because they have no gps in 'em…left Warwick svcs tonight but it wouldn’t track me, after easily pinpointing me n there! TFTH :wink:

Kevwall…went out and purchased a ‘3’ before they got pulled from the shelves as I didn’t want the ‘4’ on ios6 with the crap maps! my phone is on ‘5’ and the maps are [zb] atm!

I wish I hadn’t changed to iOS 6 can’t see the difference apart from as you say, useless maps

MWayBuddy … can be useful

Catch That Bus … shows bus times from most stops in the country, sounds daft, but I used it a while ago when I was parked up for a 20 hr night out, I hopped on a bus to go and mooch round the nearest town (I think it is mainly for Andriod)

www.motorwayservices.info … not an app, but a handy website to have a shortcut to

www.trucknetuk.com for hours of entertainment :smiley:

Motion X GPS HD for ipad and iphone. Once you set it up its pretty good. Better used as reference than an all out search engine. maps from motion x, bing and apple. road, satellite or terrain maps.
you can record your journey with a ‘track’ of where youve been and input favourite or common locations (rdc etc).
Not for everyone but i like it

Your right the wifi model doesn’t have a gps module in it, it uses the position of he host device which you are connecting to, which is why I’m guessing mine works and yours doesn’t, maybe it only uses the host device properly if you connect via wifi to your hotspot instead of Bluetooth ? Try it and see :slight_smile:

I’ve never noticed the wifi version doesn’t have GPS in but I’ve never used it for sat nav, might invest in an iPad mini with 3G or 4g whatever it is!

Ive just downloaded the trucker timer one. I hoping it will keep me from getting infringments for wtd with the alarm as i forgot the time on sat…

Plus always good to have a back up of hours other than the diary.

Dan_1986:
Ive just downloaded the trucker timer one. I hoping it will keep me from getting infringments for wtd with the alarm as i forgot the time on sat…

Plus always good to have a back up of hours other than the diary.

It’s a good one that isn’t it mate, gives you every bit of information on what hours you’ve worked and what you have left to work, well worth the 2.99

Highways Agency app is also good, all (when available) data on delays, roadworks etc and its free.

Yeah highways agency and traffic view that’s made by traffic master and is linked upto the road sensors you see on bridges and on the side of the road. I use the 2 together and have avoided some major jams.