Useful Bridge Height Info

Has anyone seen or used this website before: truckanddriver.co.uk/free-truck-route-planner/

I only stumbled across it last night as I was looking for a safe route somewhere… I’ve been driving the Royal Mail double
deckers again for the first time in years and I haven’t yet got around to buying myself a truck specific sat nav! ( Any recommendations? )

This website could be really helpful for pre planning your routes… obviously in conjunction with a decent sat nav or bridge
height map and a healthy dose of common sense! :slight_smile:

It even allows you to enter your vehicle width and weights & Length as well

It uses the same website as freightjourneyplanner http://www.freightjourneyplanner.co.uk which has been around for a while now. I have a few issues with it in the past but have found it useful, also if you do have any queries or comments then they do actually reply to any queries, better than you’ll get from many satnav systems/companies.

Don’t blindly trust it . I just put a destination in and it’s taking you via a 7.5t limit when there’s no need to

nick2008:
Don’t blindly trust it . I just put a destination in and it’s taking you via a 7.5t limit when there’s no need to

No, you’re right… That’s why in my original quote I included the following disclaimer:

This website could be really helpful for pre planning your routes… obviously in conjunction with a decent sat nav or bridgeheight map and a healthy dose of
common sense! :smiley:

I was flying blind on Thursday with a 16’2" double decker, but even though I accidentally turned down a restricted road, I managed to turn around and get back on the correct route… because I applied common sense and NO bridges were harmed in the process!

I’m guessing it’s like any “truck” routing software on sat navs. It’s only as good as the data that’s been inputted. Mine often tells me to turn down single track lanes which have no weight limits on and some don’t even say unsuitable for HGVS on but you just use your common sense and don’t! Routing through housing estates in towns and cities for a short cut is another one it likes. Again if there’s no weight limit the sat nav is doing nothing wrong. But your common sense tells you your going to get stuck in some of them.

nick2008:

Anyway, TBH… I’m slightly LESS bothered about finding myself on a 7.5 tonne road,
I’ll live with that, I just DON,T want to end up facing an unexpected low bridge with
no further options to reverse up a side street and backtrack to the correct route!

PS. 20+ years on driving ALL types inc car transporters & double deck buses and
NEVER struck a bridge yet… just clipped a few trees as those buggers DON’T have
height signs attached… their pure guesswork! Lol :smiley:

Rowley010:
I’m guessing it’s like any “truck” routing software on sat navs. It’s only as good as the data that’s been inputted. Mine often tells me to turn down single track lanes which have no weight limits on and some don’t even say unsuitable for HGVS on but you just use your common sense and don’t! Routing through housing estates in towns and cities for a short cut is another one it likes. Again if there’s no weight limit the sat nav is doing nothing wrong. But your common sense tells you your going to get stuck in some of them.

Fair point, well made mate… I haven’t even got a truck Sat Nav and I done car transporter work for years with nothing but a bridge height map…

Maybe it’s time I bought o truck specific Sat Nav… but as you rightly observe, their
NOT fail safe! we MUST rely on common sense instead! :smiley:

Unfortunately, many drivers have NO common sense, so their fancy truck sat navs are
about as useless to them as a 'Snooze Button on a Smoke Alarm! :smiley:

Never heard of the freight planner site so like others, I put a route in to our Battersea depot… funnily enough, it came up with a route I tried once and vowed never to use again… down through Sloane Square at night was a poxy nightmare…couldn’t move for abandoned buses and taxis…in the end there were that many vehicles nose to tail, nobody knew who was at the front and causing the hold up! :smiley:

The aguri sat nav is really good, never had any issues with it, but always cross checking with my map on new routes just in case!! Don’t want to become part of the bridge bashing brigade!!

again I will promote my trusty caravan map, bridge heights, weights and widths, yes a large unwieldy thing but well worth the effort,

if u put in google map brigde heights u can use that to get where u need to go.but i have not found a way to install it into goole maps app on my phone.it on internet side

thunder367:
if u put in google map brigde heights u can use that to get where u need to go.but i have not found a way to install it into goole maps app on my phone.it on internet side

I’ve got it on my samsung phone.
I just googled bridge height map on my phone then clicked on Google search result and it just opened it up on the Google map app.
If it doesn’t it may be down to the settings on the phone.
Hope this helps.
Merry Xmas

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk