Used tractor Unit

The last vehicles we bought were euro 3, so i’m after some advice from the brains of Truck Net as to whats what with newer vehicles and which to avoid due to mechanical issues.

So far I have been advised away from MAN’s because of electrical and engine issues in tga’s. Do TGX’s have the same issues or did they get resolved?

One person I know has had a lot of Trouble with DAF’s and turbo issues, however I don’t want to discount them on one persons experience. Scania seem to be expensive for what you get. Volvo I’ve not heard a great deal about is that because they’re one of the best? Renault appear to be very good value.

What i’m getting at here is what would you recommend? I’m after a 6x2 that will be a max weight 85% of the time covering around 500-600km a day and not give me endless trouble.

8 legger:
The last vehicles we bought were euro 3, so i’m after some advice from the brains of Truck Net as to whats what with newer vehicles and which to avoid due to mechanical issues.

So far I have been advised away from MAN’s because of electrical and engine issues in tga’s. Do TGX’s have the same issues or did they get resolved?

One person I know has had a lot of Trouble with DAF’s and turbo issues, however I don’t want to discount them on one persons experience. Scania seem to be expensive for what you get. Volvo I’ve not heard a great deal about is that because they’re one of the best? Renault appear to be very good value.

What i’m getting at here is what would you recommend? I’m after a 6x2 that will be a max weight 85% of the time covering around 500-600km a day and not give me endless trouble.

Truck of the year 2013/14. FH 16 . Says it all.

i am on my 4th MAN TGA, still got 3 of them, the one that went, i had it 3 years with very little trouble

i have had one of the others for nearly 2 years now, the turbo failed 2 months ago, apart from that, and a cracked sump, nothing much else really

so, yeah, they are really unreliable and have lots of major engine and electrical issues :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i would not hesitate to get any more of them

one thing i will say about the MAN, if the driver is a bit of an animal, and abuses them, they will have problems, they are better suited to a driver who will look after the vehicle and not abuse it, whereas, Volvo, Scania and DAF will stand up better to the abuse

though not my first choice the daf will be about the best on fuel, certainly ahead of the Volvo and scania, can’t comment on the man though

Bought a Euro 5 FH 13 440 recently, nice truck big improvement on older FH to drive, but cab not as we’ll put together. Had a major problem with engine needing a full rebuild. Problem with add blue trucks is you get nothing from exhaust when checking it out only vapor. Only way of checking if engine is smoking is to have a diagnostic check done to see if it is using excessive add blue. The problem with ours was put down to previous owner using high sulphur diesel, all pistons cracked and a hole in one due to overheating. Costly repair.

On a positive note truck running fine now and returns 8.5 mpg at 44t on motorway work

A lot of it is just pot luck nowadays, you can get a rare lemon Scania/Volvo/Merc or you can get a bullet proof Man, Renault, Iveco.

I’d go for SCR rather than EGR just purely from what newmercman says about the systems which makes sense.

shuttlespanker:
one thing i will say about the MAN, if the driver is a bit of an animal, and abuses them, they will have problems, they are better suited to a driver who will look after the vehicle and not abuse it, whereas, Volvo, Scania and DAF will stand up better to the abuse

You can say that about several makes of truck, I’d certainly add Renault and Iveco to the list of trucks that need a careful driver :wink:

Axor 2540 basic but a million clicks without engine or axle faults just make sure you buy the manual transmission not the crap auto.

Faults are mirror wiring,suspension sensors(easy fix)belt tensioners and water pump(easy fix)and thats about it.Not a pretty truck but it does the job.Oh and make sure the add blue system has been upgraded.59 plate are the best.

Bking:
Axor 2540 basic but a million clicks without engine or axle faults just make sure you buy the manual transmission not the crap auto.

Faults are mirror wiring,suspension sensors(easy fix)belt tensioners and water pump(easy fix)and thats about it.Not a pretty truck but it does the job.Oh and make sure the add blue system has been upgraded.59 plate are the best.

Well done , a very very underated truck , just wait until the badge snobs read our comments .!!! .

Bking:

2540 might struggle “at max weight 85% of time” so maybe a 2543 would be better bet. :wink: