Used Scania from dealership

no snipping this time…

Janos:
Thats dealers price, its what you pay for full service history and the knowledge that every part taken off is replaced with a genuine one. I could of bought well cheaper from local independent truck seller, but have moved on from that. The couple of grand you might save for a truck with a dubious service history? no thanks. Also, it works both ways, you get very generous part/ex terms for well maintained same marque. Try it sometime, instead of scoffing at other people.

Janos

all this from

arguably the most prestigious truck dealer

Janos:
two inner drive axle rims that were from a much older vehicle

Janos:
a front wheel on with a split tyre

Janos:
Inspection of rims found elongated holes for wheel studs

Janos:
excessive rust to the point where it was falling off in chunks

Janos:
and non compatible rims

thanks for your words of wisdom in truck buying, but, i think i will stick to

well cheaper from local independent truck seller

Perhaps you should read the original post again. That is the whole point of it. I have been stung by them, but like some, I am bemused by a large truck dealer being so cynical and devious. Bemused also, why so many on here would rather feed their own ego with pompous posts rather than discuss the real issues.

Janos

Janos:
Perhaps you should read the original post again. That is the whole point of it. I have been stung by them, but like some, I am bemused by a large truck dealer being so cynical and devious. Bemused also, why so many on here would rather feed their own ego with pompous posts rather than discuss the real issues.

Janos

personally, i think you were ripped off with the price of the truck in the first place, sucked in by the shiny new paint job and tyre dressing, and, if, as you say, the rims were knackered, why was this not picked up on the PMI’s?

i am not talking about the elongated holes, but, the severely rusted rims, the inspecting dealer should have notified you of this when they first spotted them, which puts your local dealer to shame too

after using main dealers for PMI’s and servicing in the past, i find that they are only interested in taking your money, and not really bothered about the work they do or don’t do, whatever the case may be, whereas, a smaller independant workshop will be more willing to go the extra mile and get it right the first time

the only time my vehicles go near the main dealer is if they need the diagnostic computer on them, most of the other work, i either do myself or send it in to a trusted local workshop

But its done now so time to move on I bought the odd dog once or twice sort it or sell it … also moved a few wheels around when selling its what happens in life (or trucks).but you can guarantee when I bought a dog I didn’t shout it from the rooftops…

Bemused also, why so many on here would rather feed their own ego with pompous posts rather than discuss the real issues.

Welcome to Trucknet mate :wink: :wink:

Been reading the various posts and yet again a sensible opening question has been killed buy all the negativity and stupidity
Weather the truck was overpriced in my eyes is not the issue the issue I’d be most annoyed with is this truck has come from a main dealer not Arthur daily
I persanaly have bought both my trucks from main dealers one being a Daf n one a Merc
Yes I could of got them cheaper from Arthur daily or flee bay but I went to the main dealer for piece of mind I myself would get in touch with Scania gb and explain your issues as with them being so worried about the image of there brand I’d imagine somthing just somthing may be done if every thing you have posted about the said truck is valid
The other thing that I will add if your purchasing a truck from a main dealer that’s just been on mot and has a full Scania service history do you really need to inspect that we’ll the only thing I would of done is not had done the deal unless all the tyres had a min of 65% to 75% tread depth n be a branded tyre not not some rubbish from china
Welcome to TRUCKNET and I hope you get the mess sorted

Fast forward a year to its first MOT, and the low looking drive axle tyres that I had chosen to overlook when I bought, now need replacing. I left vehicle at local dealer for MOT prep and Motorway/HI-Q said they would replace tyres on site. Receive call from tyre depot who tell me their fitter cannot replace tyres on two of rims because they are in a dangerous condition. With MOT being next morning, and this is early evening I agreed to replacement rims along with tyres. A fifteen hundred pound bill on top of MOT fees was not what I had planned.
Inspection of rims found elongated holes for wheel studs, excessive rust to the point where it was falling off in chunks, and non compatible rims, with the rusty inside ones being non safety rims from a previous era truck

Sorry but i would be asking questions to whoever does your 6 week inspections also

12months later is all of this…■■?..

Wing and a prayer:
Sorry but i would be asking questions to whoever does your 6 week inspections also

I have to agree, if the OP is wanting the selling dealer to take the flack he also want’s to ask the firm doing the 6 weeklys what else they aren’t checking.

Thankyou for the couple of sensible and relevant replies above.

To the other recent posters I suggest you read right through the thread, to save me tapping them out again. The vehicle is on a service contract and has been mechanically perfect,apart from rims of course, as I expected it to be.

To all those who say it was overpriced, like the previous post said, I would rather pay a bit more than buy from Arthur Daley.

What a lot of you are conveniently forgetting is that the inflated price works both ways. I got £10000 for the high mileage but dealer maintained R114 that I part exchanged. Take that away, and the residual value of current truck which will be say £15000 in three years, that does not leave much capital outlay. Also, I reclaimed all VAT back in that quarter, which was £7000, and received 100% capital expenditure allowance on purchase, so tax bill for this year is nothing. Couple that with the almost fixed costs of a service contract and that makes for mind a much easier way of running a truck rather than pulling my overalls on every weekend and paying excess tax, while working for nothing.

Janos

Janos if you want to know how to take it up with the truck dealer pm The boys own. his father was the master at putting the dealership in it’s place :slight_smile: . it could only be a small matter of £2 worth of sundries on an invoice and they would be given both barrels,a scud missile and an exocet missile in one go :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .they always came round to bert’s way of thinking. The man was a Legend.

If you have a service contract, surely that should have picked up the problems a lot sooner than you say :question:

I do apologise for being honest, as I have been in my previous replies. I’m also sorry for thinking that transport is a tough business and I’m sorry that I never offered you a comforting cuddle after your traumatic experience with that nasty man.

Actually no I’m not, you should have done a thorough inspection or got someone else to do it for you, then you would have discovered the faults before you did the deal. Simple…

If the problems with the wheels had contributed to an accident and somebody was injured or killed it would have been your fault.

You could try and blame whoever you want, but the terms of your Operators Licence say that the buck stops with you, so count yourself lucky, move on, learn the lesson and don’t repeat it :bulb:

Why has it zb’d the word think?

OMG has thinking become a swear word now?

See what I did there :laughing:

Newmercman, I have already said I am not looking for sympathy.

I find it hard to believe you are trusted to moderate this forum, as your post is dripping with vitriol. Hardly moderate in my mind.

Rusty rims only become a problem if it affects the integrity of the wheel. When that rust is on the adjoining face of a d/axle rim, then that rust can flake and cause the tightness of the wheel nuts to be compromised. Something that can only be checked by taking the wheels off. Okay, as some have said, the rusty inner wheel may of given a clue to problem, but I sympathise with the fitters who service it. They are right to assume that outer wheels have been shot blasted and painted, and inner ones left. I have no sympathy for the prick who put the wheels on though.

I buy from a dealer for supposed peace of mind, and so I don’t have to climb under the truck at the weekend. Scania have fallen well short here, not me. I pay good money for quality service. I should not have to double check everything they do.

Janos

Janos:

I find it hard to believe you are trusted to moderate this forum, as your post is dripping with vitriol. Hardly moderate in my mind.

Rusty rims only become a problem if it affects the integrity of the wheel. When that rust is on the adjoining face of a d/axle rim, then that rust can flake and cause the tightness of the wheel nuts to be compromised. Something that can only be checked by taking the wheels off. Okay, as some have said, the rusty inner wheel may of given a clue to problem, but I sympathise with the fitters who service it. They are right to assume that outer wheels have been shot blasted and painted, and inner ones left. I have no sympathy for the prick who put the wheels on though.

I buy from a dealer for supposed peace of mind, and so I don’t have to climb under the truck at the weekend. Scania have fallen well short here, not me. I pay good money for quality service. I should not have to double check everything they do.

Janos

i have colour coded each part, so you should be able to work out easily which part of the reply goes with which part of your post

what has his personal feelings got to do with moderating a forum?

surely, this would be noticed on your daily walk round check, the part about ‘wheel nut security’

obviously not :wink:

hope this helps :smiley:

Now, me personally, I think a truck bought from a main dealer should be pretty much perfect. I bought mine privately and did have to spend about £4,000 on it as soon as I’d bought it, but then it was £25,000 as opposed to the £32,000 which main dealers wanted for the same age/mileage truck with a bumper-to-bumper warranty. I really don’t think a Scania dealer should have missed these faults on their pre-sales inspection but then Scania have always had a reputation for only being interested in fleet buyers.

newmercman:
Why has it zb’d the word think?

OMG has thinking become a swear word now?

See what I did there :laughing:

:laughing: At first I actually assumed you misspelt the word “count”

shuttlespanker:

Janos:

Janos

i have colour coded each part, so you should be able to work out easily which part of the reply goes with which part of your post

what has his personal feelings got to do with moderating a forum?

surely, this would be noticed on your daily walk round check, the part about ‘wheel nut security’

obviously not :wink:

hope this helps :smiley:

What a load of patronising nonsense. I find it hard to believe you actually run anything more than a milk float. Apologies to any milkmen on forum. To reply any further would give credence to what you have posted.

Not vitriolic at all, just to the point and that point is, you [zb]ed up. You ain’t the first and you won’t be the last.

I have a tyre fetish, so as part of the negotiations I would’ve had either a set of new low rolling resistance tyres fitted or got them to ring the tyres off the lorry with the best set in the yard. But each to their own.

In all your posts you haven’t admitted any responsibility for what happened. Try eating some humble pie, you may find that brings you more sympathetic responses.

Are we ever going to see photos of these wheels?