Used Scania from dealership

“FOOLS AND THEIR MONEY ARE SOON PARTED”, remember this old proverb next time you go lorry buying & all you can smell is polish, tyre wall black & ■■■■■■■■ from the person selling it, perhaps you would be well advised to take a halfwit like Moose with you, someone who isn’t afraid to crawl under a lorry, look behind the bling & actually sees what makes the vehicle tick, I bet the first thing you do when you look at a lorry is sit in the cab, that is the last place I look when buying a lorry, I would be underneath checking for irregularities like mismatched wheels & tyres or checking the suspension, brakes, steering & probably take the diff level plug out to check the condition of the oil, all these things give you a better indication of the state of the vehicle than taking the advice of a “well trained in the art of selling you what you think you want” salesman, so if you feel hard done to over what you bought from the people who were selling it to you then just think, the mutterings of a fool are sometimes more useful than you would ever imagine.

This post clearly shows the difference between a owner driver and a owner operator,one looks for polish and flash dash spot lamps ect the other looks underneath when making a 2 nd hand purchase.

Where the dealer conning you ■■ They put it in for it’s MOT and it passed …Unlike cars ,you won’t get a dodgy MOT from a friend of friend …So MOT will have been above board …Would the dealer spot the rim problem ■■ Probably not ,if only noticeable with the wheels removed…Afterall if there isn’t any faults noticed ie needs a reline ,then the wheels will not have been removed…Now if the rims have elongated holes then I personally would expect to see evidence ,ie rust and marks on the rims as the wheel nuts have been loose at some stage…Maybe the previous owner got one over on scania by fitting old rims and tyres when trading it in.They where up front with the steering fault and did say they would pay.Would it not have been better when collecting the truck and being told of the steering issue to either reject the vehicle .( I do appreciate you may have work for it to do ) or leave it with scania to repair .Though I do find it odd with your experience ,which I do not doubt you on …But again with your experience you did get taken in by, which you admit ,shiny tyres and paintwork.Maybe the old adage of ■■■■■■■■ baffles brains is true…I am not having a go at you ,but you broke a golden rule there '…It is the same for an MOT ,if it looks well maintained I bet the MOT inspector doesn’t go mental on the inspection ,but if it looks like a piece of crap ,then he will…After all people would be more worried about a 6 year old motor going for it test compared to the vehicle going for it’s first test,even if the 6 year old has had an easier life and is better maintained

I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself, to people who ignore the facts and quote words out of context.

The vehicle had been resprayed. The sprayer had taken all wheels off, and chosen to put a front wheel on with a split tyre, and two inner drive axle rims that were from a much older vehicle, while using shiny new ones for outer wheels. There is nobody here who can ascertain the condition of the stud holes by inspection without taking the wheels off.

According to previous posts, the wheels were changed after MOT. Perhaps, but that action by a reputable dealer or by anyone for that matter is wrong, and illegal. Those that advocate it should be ashamed of themselves, and I include the forum moderator amongst them. The site is sponsored by Michelin, I wonder what they would make of the practice of ‘ringing’ tyres’ on unsuspecting buyers? Caveat emptor?..more like mea culpa methinks.

Motorway Tyres said both the front tyre and the drive axle rims were in a dangerous condition, and a threat to my safety and other innocent road users. Nearly everybody who has responded has stated that it is okay, and that is the name of the game. I advise you to go the Brake website and read about the loss of life due to trucks losing their wheels.

I now wonder too about reports of wheel loss by o/drivers and operators in the past. Were they stitched up by unscrupulous sellers, dealers and tyre fitters etc. Those poor drivers wringing their hands and pleading in court that they had done all that was possible, little knowing that some devious prick had sabotaged their truck from inside, with little chance of them spotting what had been done.

I have reread my original post and it reads like I wanted it to, a light hearted take on a serious subject. To all the posters who twisted my words out of context to give themselves a reason to sneer about me getting dazzled by a shiny truck, I would say that sneering contempt you all have, just about sums you up as people. After a quarter of a century in the industry and a perfect record I can afford to laugh at you.

Janos

Janos:
I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself, to people who ignore the facts and quote words out of context.

The vehicle had been resprayed. The sprayer had taken all wheels off, and chosen to put a front wheel on with a split tyre, and two inner drive axle rims that were from a much older vehicle, while using shiny new ones for outer wheels. There is nobody here who can ascertain the condition of the stud holes by inspection without taking the wheels off.

According to previous posts, the wheels were changed after MOT. Perhaps, but that action by a reputable dealer or by anyone for that matter is wrong, and illegal. Those that advocate it should be ashamed of themselves, and I include the forum moderator amongst them. The site is sponsored by Michelin, I wonder what they would make of the practice of ‘ringing’ tyres’ on unsuspecting buyers? Caveat emptor?..more like mea culpa methinks.

Motorway Tyres said both the front tyre and the drive axle rims were in a dangerous condition, and a threat to my safety and other innocent road users. Nearly everybody who has responded has stated that it is okay, and that is the name of the game. I advise you to go the Brake website and read about the loss of life due to trucks losing their wheels.

I now wonder too about reports of wheel loss by o/drivers and operators in the past. Were they stitched up by unscrupulous sellers, dealers and tyre fitters etc. Those poor drivers wringing their hands and pleading in court that they had done all that was possible, little knowing that some devious prick had sabotaged their truck from inside, with little chance of them spotting what had been done.

I have reread my original post and it reads like I wanted it to, a light hearted take on a serious subject. To all the posters who twisted my words out of context to give themselves a reason to sneer about me getting dazzled by a shiny truck, I would say that sneering contempt you all have, just about sums you up as people. After a quarter of a century in the industry and a perfect record I can afford to laugh at you.

Janos

As far as I can make out your a complete winner with loads of experience and tons of dosh, well done you.

Cmon Denis, do we deserve this?

Janos:
Hi all, just thought I would briefly outline my recent experience and get some feedback. I part exchanged my old truck for a newer version. I had told salesman that I was not interested in a resprayed truck, but he was insistent that the one he was offering me was of good quality, and that a professional job had been done. Against my better judgement after being blinded by wax and tyre black, I agreed to buy.
On delivery I was told that truck had developed a wheel wobble, and I should get them balanced and send the bill to dealer. Fair enough I thought. Motorway tyres told me that the reason for wheel wobble was because of the no name front tyres, and that replacement was the only realistic option. So, a month after part exchanging a vehicle with decent tyres I found myself paying nearly a grand for two new front tyres. When the fitter took the wheels off, he found that the inside tyre wall of one was split around a third of its circumference. A lucky escape for me, and possibly others. On closer inspection, it was obvious that whoever resprayed vehicle had put lift axle wheels on mid-lift and front on mid-lift, and those mid-lift tyres were in a dangerous condition.
Fast forward a year to its first MOT, and the low looking drive axle tyres that I had chosen to overlook when I bought, now need replacing. I left vehicle at local dealer for MOT prep and Motorway/HI-Q said they would replace tyres on site. Receive call from tyre depot who tell me their fitter cannot replace tyres on two of rims because they are in a dangerous condition. With MOT being next morning, and this is early evening I agreed to replacement rims along with tyres. A fifteen hundred pound bill on top of MOT fees was not what I had planned.
Inspection of rims found elongated holes for wheel studs, excessive rust to the point where it was falling off in chunks, and non compatible rims, with the rusty inside ones being non safety rims from a previous era truck. Tyre depot manager said that if the flaking rims had not caused the wheel nuts to come loose, then the elongated stud holes should of, and it was a miracle I had not lost either set of twin wheels. Just blind luck, and regular checks and servicing saved me and others from a possibly fatal accident.
My questions to the forum are, have you experienced such cynical behaviour from your Scania dealer, and what further action should one take? Chat to VOSA?, see area manager of dealer, or just accept, and chalk it down to experience and a bit naivety on my part…which is hard to accept as an owner driver of over twenty years!

Regards to all

Janos

You are getting the feedback you asked for ,and it appears that because it is not to your liking ,we are all idiots
You didn’t want a resprayed truck …But with 25 years experience and a faultless record ,you where nieve enough to get suckered in by a paint job and shiney tyres ■■? Really !!! I can understand an 18 year old buying their first car falling for the shiney paintwork ,but surely not a veteran of 25 years

Vehicle had a wheel wobble and you had to send bill to dealer for balancing…why didn’t you take the truck to get the wheels balanced straight away ,or get dealer to sort the issue■■? why wait a month ■■ , From your post you never informed the dealer of the exact nature of the fault and to request them to foot the bill .Fast forward to MOT and it needs drive axle tyres that quote “I had chosen to overlook when I bought” says it all …You have had a year of 6 weekly inspections ,where they by you ,the dealer who you purchased the vehicle from or someone else .■■? Obviously the wheels have never been removed in the time you have owned the vehicle till it’s MOT so no one has picked up the rims in a year ,but the supplying dealer should have ■■? Elongated holes will show up ,as when the rim is moving it leaves tell tale marks that are obvious ,you can’t miss them …Id be amazed if someone could drive for nearly a year with rims with elongated holes…I wouldn’t say regular checks and servicing where you saving grace ,as they should have noticed the issue…as the rim moves on the hub and elongates the hole it leaves a witness mark on the rim where the nut rubs against the rim…

Personally the main issue is…
1…vehicle bought without checking it thoroughly
2… not getting dealer to pay for the rectification of wheel wobble
3… poor servicing /daily checks there after,a year to find out you have the wrong rims ■■
4…not going over the vehicle thoroughly after collection ,and going back with a snag list,as obviously you made sure you had a warranty of sorts ■■
5…believing 25 years makes you faultless,and anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot

I quoted your post so there is no misunderstanding …I have answered honestly and with questions that may help others

Both sides have valid points & your man perhaps should have had it surgically inspected before parting with his hard earned but again the name should be enough in this case, it went through an MOT didn’t it? This truck is from a Scania dealer not some bobbins happeny outfit in the back of beyond.

Any product leaving a Scania main dealer yard should be beyond reproach. Granted, some rubber skulduggery can be over looked as they’re all at it but dodgy wheels? Jesus wept, if I worked for Scania i’d put a round of F’s in to that dealer. How much damage has already been done to the brand by people reading this thread? I doubt you’d have any of that lark from a Keltruck branch.

Silver_Surfer:
Both sides have valid points & your man perhaps should have had it surgically inspected before parting with his hard earned but again the name should be enough in this case, it went through an MOT didn’t it? This truck is from a Scania dealer not some bobbins happeny outfit in the back of beyond.

Any product leaving a Scania main dealer yard should be beyond reproach. Granted, some rubber skulduggery can be over looked as they’re all at it but dodgy wheels? Jesus wept, if I worked for Scania i’d put a round of F’s in to that dealer. How much damage has already been done to the brand by people reading this thread? I doubt you’d have any of that lark from a Keltruck branch.

Well im calling it a bunch of lies by some kid who has got himself a job as a salesman at a rival make or some such scenario, there is no forum history just kicks off an account with all this. where is the providence?

I recently bought a second hand trailer, a rarity for me as I normally buy my tractor units and trailers new. I spent an hour before I bought it looking at everything on the trailer so I knew exactly what I was buying. I agreed a price, then it was mot’d, then I collected it. When I got it back I did what I always do with new equipment and give it a first use inspection before it goes out on the road, as recommended in vosa’s guide to maintaining roadworthy ness guide. To make sure everything was spot on with the trailer before giving it to my drivers to use.

From the information you’ve given it is possible that with a good first use inspection the front axle tyre problem would have been spotted, which then would have made me suspicious about the worn drive tyres with shiny outer rims and scabby inner rims. I would have removed the outer rims to fully check the inner sidewalls, as the fronts were split, and would have therefore spotted the dodgy inner rims.

I thing the Scania dealer has behaved abhorrently by selling you a truck, which quite rightly you thought was in a roadworthy condition when clearly it was not. I do feel sorry for you that this has happened when you quite rightly put your trust in a main dealer, BUT I do think you have been a bit naive by not checking it more thoroughly before using it, never mind where you buy it from.

Also please do not call moose a half wit, as I find his posts quite knowledgeable and is clearly an experienced person with regards to running and maintaining trucks. Attack the post, not the poster.

Janos
[/quote]
As far as I can make out your a complete winner with loads of experience and tons of dosh, well done you.

Cmon Denis, do we deserve this?
[/quote]
No we don’t :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As has been said, it is common practice to ring tyres over when getting rid of a unit/trailer. By what you have said it was clearly the case here, so having seen that the tyres were a bit ropey, would it not be wise to look a bit deeper into things, such as brake/clutch life, the seller clearly didn’t want to give anything away when he chopped it in at the dealer. So did he also scrimp on maintenance in the months leading up to the sale?

As you have discovered, the tyres were a huge flashing warning sign, but you CHOSE to ignore it.

Now you are blaming the dealer, the bloke that painted it and the people that have replied to you.

Face facts, you messed up, put it down to experience and learn from it, that’s how most of the people that have replied did it, they learned from their mistakes and became wiser as a result.

Nobody on here has taken the ■■■■, nobody has ridiculed you, they’ve just pointed out the error of your ways, so ■■■■ it up princess, you asked for opinions and you’ve been given them.

rality check…the truck was resprayed because …a…it was a barking dog,fannied up with bling to sit there like an old ■■■■■ till a victim chanced along…or b…it had been through a field,or dinged,couldnt be repaired without notice,hence the full paint…it most likely had a nice set of alcoas on,which either got flogged and swapped before trading in,orif it was a reposessed truck,someone in the know got a backhander for flogging and swapping the wheels. most likely someone in the dealer got a good bung from a favourite owner/driver after it was motd hence the steering wobble when they put the wrong wheels on the wrong axles…isnt it normal for most to mot,then rob the toys for the new replacement? if it was a repo truck,then nobody knows or cares… the original owner has it taken away,the repo guy robs it before the auction as nobody knows or cares as its just going to go through the ring either way with the original owner owning a fortune either way…the finance co dont know whats on it as its just a ref number for them,the auction dont care,and the new owner gets it in the nick he sees it in to start with.my mate repos cars,and its not uncommen forhim to take the ecu out from the car,someone in the know goes and buys the car as a non runner as it is now dead with no brain…the car gets purchased,and after £100 changes hands,then the ecu getsplugged back in and happy days for a quick earner all round…the motor trade is dog eat dog,with the only victim being the dude that buys from a main dealer,whether its cars,or trucks its the same story,get your balls out,buy from the auction,and use part of the 10k that you save from dealer price to put the thing tiptop.ive just lost another 6 mins of my life that il never get back reading this thread…but there you go■■? in the words of the immortal w.c fields…never give a sucker an even break… :smiling_imp:

Janos:

Sounds like you really know how to win friends and influence people!!

I wouldn’t let anybody speak to me like that face to face, so why should I put up with it online?

Janos

Janos:
I wouldn’t let anybody speak to me like that face to face, so why should I put up with it online?

Janos

Like what exactly?

Again, nobody has insulted you personally, they have pointed out some areas that you may want to pay attention to in the future, but nothing had been personal.

If you wanted everyone to agree with you then you should have joined igotrumpedbyausedtrucksalesman.com

This is quite a sad thread really, the o/p put out a well thought out valid question which any of us as small hauliers/ owner drivers can have sympathy with, he has a level of expectancy from arguably the most prestigious truck maker in Europe albeit one of its franchised dealers on a used truck which wasn’t up to main dealer standard, you can bet the o/p paid considerably more for the peace of mind of said manufacturers alleged quantity standards in other words he was paying extra to not get a two bob raped EBay special, and what does he get for posing the question ? a load of rose tinted hindsight from spiteful posters trying to say it not personal! We’ll from reading most of the replies it is very personal, What has trucknet come to when a new member comes and posts a valid post and gets shot down as a incompetent fool who know nothing of our industry after 20 plus years of trading, I for one applaud anyone who has manage to survive 20 plus years in road haulage and has a blemish free record and hope that the Scania dealer or Scania GB get to read this and do something to recompense Janos, I have bought from main dealers and truck trader/eBay and direct from O/D’s and can honestly say that main dealer trucks gives the most peace of mind as their trucks usually have traceable network service history and have a workshop inspection before going on the forecourt, Janos and possibly the main dealer got shafted on this one but the dealer who more than likely put it through their workshop has to ask itself does it put profit over safety, also the posters who freely admit to routinely swapping good tyres for worn/ ■■■■■■■■■■■■ tyres and other questionable practices need to ask themselves the same.

R143-500:
This is quite a sad thread really, the o/p put out a well thought out valid question which any of us as small hauliers/ owner drivers can have sympathy with, he has a level of expectancy from arguably the most prestigious truck maker in Europe albeit one of its franchised dealers on a used truck which wasn’t up to main dealer standard, you can bet the o/p paid considerably more for the peace of mind of said manufacturers alleged quantity standards in other words he was paying extra to not get a two bob raped EBay special, and what does he get for posing the question ? a load of rose tinted hindsight from spiteful posters trying to say it not personal! We’ll from reading most of the replies it is very personal, What has trucknet come to when a new member comes and posts a valid post and gets shot down as a incompetent fool who know nothing of our industry after 20 plus years of trading, I for one applaud anyone who has manage to survive 20 plus years in road haulage and has a blemish free record and hope that the Scania dealer or Scania GB get to read this and do something to recompense Janos, I have bought from main dealers and truck trader/eBay and direct from O/D’s and can honestly say that main dealer trucks gives the most peace of mind as their trucks usually have traceable network service history and have a workshop inspection before going on the forecourt, Janos and possibly the main dealer got shafted on this one but the dealer who more than likely put it through their workshop has to ask itself does it put profit over safety, also the posters who freely admit to routinely swapping good tyres for worn/ ■■■■■■■■■■■■ tyres and other questionable practices need to ask themselves the same.

I think I must be a complete ■■■■ because I reckon there is an agenda to the thread. Do you believe everything you read on a forum R143?
A registration no would be nice from the op, would validate the thread, maybe some photos even, of all the elongation in the rims and knackered/ dangerous tyres. Lets face it people photograph everything now with their mobiles, its so easy.

A ray of sunlight! thanks 143.

You are right about the level of expectancy when buying from Scania main dealer. Truck I bought was 08 R420 , with the usual scenario of having just finished contract hire term. Got a good price for my R114 against it. Got a service contract with my local dealer, having just paid for all work from them previously, and after initial problem with front tyre, it was only on d/axle tyre replacement that inner rims with elongated stud holes and rust came to light. You don’t have to read between the lines to realise that it has been in Scania every six weeks before then, and nobody picked up on rim problems, and as anybody who knows Widnes Scania, they are very thorough. Roller brake tested every time, with report on clutch wear, and depth report on brake pads etc. Which is exactly what you pay for! so you don’t have to be taking wheels off at the weekends after the hours we all work during the week.

In summary, to all those negative posts. If I believe you lot, it is a acceptable to pay £35000 for newly MOT’d truck from arguably the most prestigious truck dealer and be the victim of such underhand nonsense? it is also okay to be on a forum where the moderator and his cronies advocate such action on a forum sponsored by a prestigious tyre company who are currently having a tyre safety week? Like I said previously, was not wanting sympathy, or patronising nonsense for that matter. Just constructive comment about the relevant issues this flags up.

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful replies I have received.

Lastly, to the poster who thinks I have some kind of agenda? yes, I bloody do! I don’t like some smug prick of a salesman or sprayer taking the ■■■■ out of me, and at the same time putting my safety and others at risk so they can make a few extra quid. There are some o/drivers who have left behind that weekend maintenance thing, and the man with a van on site. Or an independant garage who let you down when you need them most. I buy the best used unit I can get, and brand new trailers and have them main dealer serviced for minimum downtime and maximum worktime. In working like that I have to put my faith in dealer, which until now, I had been doing for over ten years with Widnes Scania, with no problem. My problems started when acquiring vehicle form another Scania depot.

Re photos. Of course I have them. My phone is Samsung G2 which even with Kies on PC will still not recognise my phone. Anybody had this problem?, and some advice on how to sort it. Will try to connect via wi-fi when I get a moment.

Janos

been staying out of this one, until now…

after reading your opening post,

then this …

Janos:
08 R420 , £35000 for newly MOT’d truck from arguably the most prestigious truck dealer
Janos

just one question for you…

well, not so much a question, more of a statement…

did he see you coming or what :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

£35,000 for a 5 year old R420■■?

this has got to be a wind up :unamused:

Janos:
I don’t like some smug prick of a salesman or sprayer taking the ■■■■ out of me

no, but, i bet he loves you :wink:

Thats dealers price, its what you pay for full service history and the knowledge that every part taken off is replaced with a genuine one. I could of bought well cheaper from local independent truck seller, but have moved on from that. The couple of grand you might save for a truck with a dubious service history? no thanks. Also, it works both ways, you get very generous part/ex terms for well maintained same marque. Try it sometime, instead of scoffing at other people.

Janos