used logbook

ebay.co.uk/itm/drivers-log-b … 337846dd62

When I left school age 16 & went straight into Transport, I did time out on the road with the drivers, in the Traffic Office, workshop, loading/un-loading trailers/shunting up the warehouse, (although my most important job while shunting was to make gallons of tea for old “Crumpy” the shunter & all the drivers coming in & out). But the job I just couldn’t get into was checking log-sheets, with about 75 drivers on the fleet, there were hundreds of the ■■■■ things, I used to see them in my sleep! Still, looking back 32 years to then, no doubt it taught me something, but at the time it was hard to see what!

Hello,I remember the Log Book you used to draw straight Lines in!!,i remember well back in the 70s on a Friday summer early evening leaving chester-Le-Street,loaded with cable wire out of AEI,i was on my way to make Tree cafe at Alrewas for the nite,wen travelling up the M18 i looked in my mirror & saw a police car,oh no!!i was over my driving time!!He pulled me over,2 of them got out came to my passenger door & opened it
Hello driver just a routine check!ive got a young officer here learning! can we check yr log book!i said yes! he looked at it,he looked at me,he shook his head,He said how far you goin,i said Alrewas,make sure you do.
he showed his other young officer the days previous & tried to explain to him about drawing Lines,but he seemed abit slow to take it in! Then he let me go.
I was sweating,I"ll tell you…Norman Croad,Torquay.

Anyone remember this smaller version ?, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Anyone remember this smaller version ?, Regards Larry.0

Larry that would be first ones with the squares in which came out for European work as the first log books for UK work you had to enter start destination and load for each run as per old log sheets but you had to use the small Euro type for European work and for the next 7 days on UK work if not going out again , so you did use 2 log books legally

cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Larry that would be first ones with the squares in which came out for European work as the first log books for UK work you had to enter start destination and load for each run as per old log sheets but you had to use the small Euro type for European work and for the next 7 days on UK work if not going out again , so you did use 2 log books legally

cheers Johnnie

Johnnie I remember using two logbooks illegally as I suspect many on here did also, Buzzer.

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:

cheers Johnnie

Evening all,

Legally/illegally, boy I used to get so confused that in the end I never filled them in until I got back to Church Stretton, (Shropshire)…so much so that I was once stopped on the A5, and the constable looked at my earnest face, (not seeing the “revolving tummy”, and pristine white overalls, and then as I handed him a sheet of my deliveries to Preventoriums in the far Alpine regions of La belle France…he said, “oh medical supplies…you must be exempt”…and away I went with my re- load of cased Bordeaux to my delivery in Shrewsbury…

Ignorance is bliss…is it not!..My heart did not slow down for a good few hours…and I spotted every black Austin Westminster in the county…

Cheerio for now

Saviem:

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:

cheers Johnnie

Evening all,

Legally/illegally, boy I used to get so confused that in the end I never filled them in until I got back to Church Stretton, (Shropshire)…so much so that I was once stopped on the A5, and the constable looked at my earnest face, (not seeing the “revolving tummy”, and pristine white overalls, and then as I handed him a sheet of my deliveries to Preventoriums in the far Alpine regions of La belle France…he said, “oh medical supplies…you must be exempt”…and away I went with my re- load of cased Bordeaux to my delivery in Shrewsbury…

Ignorance is bliss…is it not!..My heart did not slow down for a good few hours…and I spotted every black Austin Westminster in the county…

Cheerio for now

Watching out for those black Westminsters ran the risk of missing older Wolseleys with front bumper-mounted bells :wink: - remember them well from boyhood! Robert :laughing:

Later car but still had a bell!

Buzzer:

sammyopisite:

Lawrence Dunbar:

cheers Johnnie

Johnnie I remember using two logbooks illegally as I suspect many on here did also, Buzzer.

Me too, I was once asked by a Policeman for mine, Jokingley I said which one do you want to see then He replied the one you a using today young man, So I handed it to him, He took a glance at it and handed it back and said it looks in order driver, So off you go, I was convinced he must have been a Rooky, Lucky me, :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: , The good old days Eh, Regards Larry.

Two log books reminds me, I was told by someone…once… using one EU (monthly) permit with multiple backing sheets, to avoid getting caught for cabotage.
Yearly book permits were no use for this (unless you had 2!).
1st trl ship out, get 1st sheet stamped at, say Le Havre on import. Tip and load Fr. Drop for ferry do Fr export papers with 1st sheet.
Park up shower, change of clothes etc.
Pick up 2nd trl, use same permit, but with 2nd backing sheet in customs. Best to do this as ferry arrives so its busy. Customs officers may look at you, but figure youre just a familiar face from last week.
Repeat alternating 1st and 2nd sheets as necessary.
If only 1 backing sheet was used the Export and Import dates would be the same for both trls so cabotage was obvious.
Obviously just a 2nd hand driver`s story as all the guys I worked with were all as straight as dies.

TIDDERSON:

Anyone remember the Daimler SP250 Darts that were in use for catching higher-powered cars? Those cops must have thought all their birthdays had come at once!

Beautiful cars. Two nalf liter V8 with a plastic body weren`t they?

Retired Old ■■■■:

TIDDERSON:

Anyone remember the Daimler SP250 Darts that were in use for catching higher-powered cars? Those cops must have thought all their birthdays had come at once!

One from the web