Use of heavy haulage vehicles for day to day haulage

Evening all. My boss has just invested in a very nice older foden that is plated to 65 tons, we also have a tipping trailer plated to 50 tons, with this combination on the road dues it mean that he will be able to pull 65t train weight all the time or only in special circumstances?? For example at the moment we collect aggregate from the quarries but only 3/4 fill the trailer due to the weight, will he now be able to fully load the trailer all the time??

MysonVinnie:
will be able to pull 65t train weight will he now be able to fully load the trailer all the time??

No and No
although i do know of a very high profile haulier who uses heavy haulage trucks on general when they are quiet and are well over weight when they do {obviously i,ll keep the name to myself}

We had an s reg foden plated at 65t until recently as we used to have a low loader trailer but now sub out moving our plant. Perhaps your gaffers trying to get work moving the quarries plant?

You can plate most 6x2 units to 65t just by retaxing them, if you don’t run heavy indivisable loads such as 30t mavchines on a lowloader trailer it’s not worth doing. You’d be better off retaxing at 44t.

I used to work for a well known heavy haulier as a transport manager. The tare weight of these vehicles means that the actual carrying capacity is drastically reduced. There are exceptions to this mainly in the mobile crane sector where the carrying of multiple pieces of crane ballast are alowed on the same vehicle as long as the individual axle weights are not exceeded.

its not as simple as it sounds, but as easy as possible
You can only go over 44 tonnes if it is an abnormal load and notified
an STGO truck can also be used as a normal truck if it is plated under Construction and Use rules and run at 44 tonnes (or below) on normal work
A STGO truck that is not plated under C&U cannot do any work that falls under construction and Use regulations therefore could not carry a normal load ( 44 tonnes and under and within normal width/height)

So in direct answer to your question, you cannot load a truck over 44 tonnes no matter what its STGO plated weight is unless it is an abnormal load as defined in the regulations

Malc44:
I used to work for a well known heavy haulier as a transport manager. The tare weight of these vehicles means that the actual carrying capacity is drastically reduced. There are exceptions to this mainly in the mobile crane sector where the carrying of multiple pieces of crane ballast are alowed on the same vehicle as long as the individual axle weights are not exceeded.

Malc your correct here
to work under STGO regs it has to be one individual peice that falls out of the scope of C&U regs, the exceptions are that under STGO Cat 2 you can have two peices , as long as one of the peices once loaded takes you into STGO regs, and both peices are loaded in the same place and is being delivered to the same place, and are similar)… that said if the truck is under C&U regs you could tip out the first peice, and if you are then under STGO weights take the 2nd bit elsewhere… a bit naughty but probably legal
The crane ballast exemption you are talking about is not automatic and is under a VS order which has to be applied for. Most heavy crane companies have a blanket VS order, other heavy haulage companies that dont have a blanket order would have to apply for a VS order for each load

Thanks guys, he is convinced he can get someone to take it to the quarry and ‘fill it to the brim’! He is normally very switched on I will put this little ■■■■ up down to a senior moment on his part!!

MysonVinnie:
I will put this little ■■■■ up a senior

Nothing like respect for the elderly :laughing:

Muckaway:

MysonVinnie:
I will put this little ■■■■ up a senior

Nothing like respect for the elderly :laughing:

Have you been at Dale Farm over the last two day’s Nathan?? Anon II