US CDL Physicals

I just noticed a post on the UK section regarding HGV medical examinations and it made me think about the B/S we go through here. When i go for my physical they seem pretty thorough and yet I constantly see drivers who look like they are about 2 minutes away from dying. One guy on our company (who I have a partcular dislike for) has hardly any use of his right arm, I see him let go of the steering wheel and reach his left arm to grab the CB mike when driving, how the hell he changes gear I havn’t a clue :question: I get constant complaints about the mess he leaves at most deliveries, these are hydraulic oil spills, I suspect caused by him draining the lines so he can attatch the quick release lines without it being too hard. I aloso see guys who are almost 70 and can hardly walk, it takes them ages just to get in the cab, I have seen drivers get out of the cab and use crutches to get to the back of the trailer FFS … How the hell can they possibly pass the test :question:

I’m one of them walking wrecks Pat. Before i go to the DOT Dr i have to see three other Dr’s to be checked out and they sign a form i have from the DOT Dr’s office saying i’m fit (reasonably) enough for work. Then i get a physical from the DOT Dr and he/she :blush: reviews all the paperwork and if satisfied lets me work another year. Dammit :imp:

Charles