Urgent! Volvo FM I shift won't start

Hi all,

Trying to start my 2006 volvo fm with I shift but its displaying a message saying “check gear selector at next stop” then when I cancel that message it says “engine starter, gearbox not in neutral”. When I turn the key all I hear is the relay clicking. Gear stick is definitely in N!

Try putting it in gear then knock in to neutral whilest ignition is on

If that doesn’t work you could try switching it off at the isolator for a couple of minutes, then retry.

See why you should buy scania… :slight_smile:

Maybe check the block connectors below the gear shift and behind the drivers seat they do become loose ?

Juddian:
If that doesn’t work you could try switching it off at the isolator for a couple of minutes, then retry.

+1.

Happened to me last week, did the above and presto, life in it again.

Ken.

Maybe check the block connectors below the gear shift and behind the drivers seat they do become loose ?

Put into Drive, turn ignition on as if trying to start vehicle and whilst holding key in start position move gear selector to Neutral.

Sometimes if it has knocked into gear whilst off and you loose air over night it will lock in gear and of course won’t start to build up air, unless you have a way of filling the air tanks, or could just be a simple connection

I had the same problem with a coach. The relay for the I shift was dead so we just swapped it with another one to get us going.

mucker85:
I had the same problem with a coach. The relay for the I shift was dead so we just swapped it with another one to get us going.

Did the above, I think it was swap 5 with 7, you lose the intermittent wipers but it gets you going.

Fileep:

mucker85:

Did the above, I think it was swap 5 with 7, you lose the intermittent wipers but it gets you going.

100% correct guys!
I fiddled about with the relays and managed to stumble upon the solution that Fileep suggested. Swapped relays 5 & 7 and as if by magic a big ‘N’ appeared on the screen meaning I could then start her :slight_smile: lost my intermittent wipers for the time being but in the middle of a heatwave I’m sure ill cope!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, must remember them in case anything silly happens in the future :slight_smile:

Good to hear we managed to help a fellow TN’er