URGENT question

If I’ve been working from 2:30 this morning till 12 can I take a reduced 9 hours and then drive again at 9 tonight?

Thanks

Dave

Dont think so mate its in the same 24 hour period. Earliest you can drive would be after midnight. But i may be wrong.

Yes you can, you will have had 9 hours off in 24 and can start again at 2100 hrs.
It doesn’t matter whether the date changes or not.
If you are on tachograph cards and expect to finish by 0230 tomorrow, you should use the same card.
Otherwise, a fresh one.

Regards,
Nick

spectron:
Dont think so mate its in the same 24 hour period. Earliest you can drive would be after midnight. But i may be wrong.

The 24-hour period ends when you complete a daily rest. So, finish at 12:00, 9 hours rest then resume work at 21:00 is legal.

The regulations state, Within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily rest period or weekly rest period a driver shall have taken a new daily rest period. That just means the rest period must be completed in no more than 24 hours from when you finished your previous rest period. It doesn’t prevent you starting before 24 hours have elapsed if you complete the rest period earlier.

DaveRichards:
If I’ve been working from 2:30 this morning till 12 can I take a reduced 9 hours and then drive again at 9 tonight?

Thanks

Dave

If you’re asking about the drivers hours then yes you can start again at 21:00 but for the working time regulations unless you’ve opted out of the night time workers rule it would be illegal to work more than 10 hours from the start of shift at 02:30 to 02:30 the following morning.

For night time workers you should work no more than 10 hours working time in the 24 hours from start of shift, unlike the drivers regulations the 24 hour period is actually 24 hours.

It’s a minefield the way these regulations contradict one-another but there’s more information here, and the good news is that possibly apart from your employer no-one at the moment is enforcing the working time regulations so you can basically use them to suit your own wishes :smiley:

4.3 What is the working time limit for night work?

Unless you have a relevant agreement, workers are limited to 10 hours work (i.e. working time) over the 24 hour period. As with the other working time limits under this legislation, breaks and periods of availability are not included in the 10 hour limit.

The 24 hour period is very important, and should not be confused with 10 hours night work per shift. The 10 hours should be calculated on a rolling basis therefore when carrying out night work on consecutive shifts a mobile worker’s start time could be dictated by how much working time they completed in the previous shift.

Coffeeholic:

spectron:

The 24-hour period ends when you complete a daily rest. So, finish at 12:00, 9 hours rest then resume work at 21:00 is legal.

The regulations state, Within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily rest period or weekly rest period a driver shall have taken a new daily rest period. That just means the rest period must be completed in no more than 24 hours from when you finished your previous rest period. It doesn’t prevent you starting before 24 hours have elapsed if you complete the rest period earlier.

Thanks for that i am understanding it wrong, now you have piomted it out