urgent help!

I’ve only ever drove manuals before and I’m out in an auto truck at 5am tomorrow. I have driven auto cars, I was told that trucks don’t creep like cars and that trucks have hill hold, what does that look like and how does it work? any advice about driving an auto in general? I’m panicking a bit!

Driving auto is easy, all the control is in the right foot rather than the left. Truck autos are just great big oldskool crash boxes with fancy computers controlling it so there is no creep, just watch it if you are running empty in traffic though. When the box slips in the clutch in, it might send you flying forward.

Some trucks will have hill-hold but not all. Hill-hold does exactly what it says on the tin, when you are stopped, press the switch and you’ll get a message on the dash saying its active. Press the foot brake, release the park brake then release the foot brake. The truck will hold for a few seconds giving you time to move from the brake to the gas. If it doesn’t have hill hold then before you release the park up just give it a little gas, not a lot, the tiniest amount (you’ll know what this is the more you drive it) then release the park brake, this should stop you rolling back.

Hiya which truck are you out in tomorrow if you know beforehand?,The Volvo FH i have has hill hold its a button by the radio with a pic of a truck going up hill (no really lol ) if memory serves if you push the button when you release the brake it keeps the brakes on for 3 seconds while you accelerate it comes off when the revs are up (i think thats how it works only only used it once sorry).
Auto’s give you one less thing to think about will take you time to get used to how quick it reacts and how quick it shifts.

jeff.

Hill hold looks like this in a DAF. Pick of the truck

I think its a universial symbol, its just where its located will be different. My 62 Premium is the first truck I’ve driven with hill hold, I think I’ve used it a grand total of 3 times.

Depends on the type of auto you have as to how it will drive but as I only drive bin wagons they have a 6 speed auto. It will make me look a complete ■■■■ at times trying to make a gap at a roundabout but after half an hour you will be used to it. I also find mine creeps in reverse but not forward gears, not sure if this is the same with all autos?

All these years I have wondered what button should be in that blank…now I know hill hold

NickW88:
Depends on the type of auto you have as to how it will drive but as I only drive bin wagons they have a 6 speed auto. It will make me look a complete [zb] at times trying to make a gap at a roundabout but after half an hour you will be used to it. I also find mine creeps in reverse but not forward gears, not sure if this is the same with all autos?

Yours is a standard auto box like a car. They are more suited to the type of job, can’t remember where I read it though.

It’s not really suited to ■■■■ all lol it’s a horrible box at times and they love to rev their ■■■■ off especially when empty, but they can be quite fun, except on full lock, all they do then is push you forward or drift!

NickW88:
It’s not really suited to [zb] all lol it’s a horrible box at times and they love to rev their ■■■■ off especially when empty, but they can be quite fun, except on full lock, all they do then is push you forward or drift!

Is it a older Dennis wagon?

The Dennis wagons we have are 06 to 12 plates. They all do it lol as do the merc Econics but not as bad

NickW88:
It will make me look a complete [zb] at times

You need help? :open_mouth:

Thanks all for the replies. I’m feeling a little easier about it now. no daytrunker I have no idea what make and model it will be, but they rang me up and told me it will only be a7.5 so that is a weight off too.

Stick in Auto or Drive or whatever it says and off you go.

you will find that some autos have a manourvering setting, MAN’s being one make. Normally it just another position on the setting switch, it’s changes the throttle sensitivity or slips the clutch, its there because the gearbox manufactures couldn’t make their auto box as good as the variant in the Volvo or Renault. :smiley:

muckles:

you will find that some autos have a manourvering setting, MAN’s being one make. Normally it just another position on the setting switch, it’s changes the throttle sensitivity or slips the clutch, its there because the gearbox manufactures couldn’t make their auto box as good as the variant in the Volvo or Renault. :smiley:

I only ever use the crawler/tortoise reverse on our MAN’s, the stand reverse gives you nothing and then goes off like a rocket…
Makes you look a right pratt as you kangaroo off up the street, and I don’t need the help to look a pratt! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

muckles:

I only ever use the crawler/tortoise reverse on our MAN’s, the stand reverse gives you nothing and then goes off like a rocket…
Makes you look a right pratt as you kangaroo off up the street, and I don’t need the help to look a pratt! :smiley:

Yep only had one drive on a modern MAN TGX auto, to say I didn’t warm to it was an understatement, especially considering most of my experience with auto is from Volvos and Renaults.

Am I right in thinking that Renault’s have the same gearboxes as Volvo’s?

Be cautious with the hill start selector switch. I believe the Volvo FH might cancel it every time you switch off the ignition, although the Mercedes Actros keeps it on through ignition re-starts. I don’t have enough time in MANs or DAFs to remember how they behave, although I think I recall a crawler gear for both forward and reverse (tortoise symbol) on the DAF gear selector switch. Use it in yards when manoeuvring.

Auto boxes really are easy, just select drive and go - you’ll feel your way from there. The go/stop pedals are just the same.

Remember to use the exhaust brake for decelerating - it will drop down the gears automatically to keep the revs up and help slow you down. The new DAFs are really polite and sometimes congratulate you with little messages on the dash if you save the service brakes by predictive driving and proper use of the exhaust brake. That can add fun to your day. :slight_smile:

Evil8Beezle:
Am I right in thinking that Renault’s have the same gearboxes as Volvo’s?

Pretty much I believe there are some software differences and there are subtle differences in the operation.

ORC:
Be cautious with the hill start selector switch. I believe the Volvo FH might cancel it every time you switch off the ignition, although the Mercedes Actros keeps it on through ignition re-starts. I don’t have enough time in MANs or DAFs to remember how they behave, although I think I recall a crawler gear for both forward and reverse (tortoise symbol) on the DAF gear selector switch. Use it in yards when manoeuvring.

Auto bozes really are easy, just select drive and go - you’ll feel your way from there. The go/stop pedals are just the same.

Remember to use the exhaust brake for decelerating - it will drop down the gears automatically to keep the revs up and help slow you down. The new DAFs are really polite and sometimes congratulate you with little messages on the dash if you save the service brakes by predictive driving and proper use of the exhaust brake. That can add fun to your day. :slight_smile:

Driven various Ishift Volvos on and off for nearly 8 years and I don’t think I’ve ever bothered with hill start switch. You can control the brake release with the clutch engaging and pulling away.