Urgent help please

Hi all ,
Messed up
I have let my Driving licence card run out ( not Drivers card) , actually expired in March eek ( always thought you had a reminder ) obviously not .
Tried to renew online but for some reason it says I am eligible for this service so need to order a D2 form ( which I did )
In the mean time should I really carry on driving ( obviously have since March )
Bit conflicting online says yes I can but other bits say possibly not .
Anybody else been in a similar position.
Also why the hell do I have to pay £14 for the pleasure

Thanks in advance for any help

Happy Trucker1:
Tried to renew online but for some reason it says I am eligible for this service so need to order a D2 form ( which I did )

I had exactly…

The same problem. The system just seems to go blank with some license’s. Later, at the Post Office, the girl behind the counter said it was quite common place.

As for the £14, life ■■■■■ mate.

I drive a bus/lorry for a living and I have sent my application to the DVLA to renew my licence. I do not have any medical conditions. Can I drive? As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence, as long as you meet the Section 88 criteria and providing your Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence has not been suspended, revoked or refused by a traffic commissioner you may drive.

To continue driving under Section 88, you must meet all of the following criteria: • You meet the medical standards of fitness to drive. If you have a medical condition and have been told not to drive by a doctor or healthcare professional, you should not do so. If your doctor or healthcare professional is unsure about how a medical condition affects driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals’ at www.gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive • You have held a valid driving licence (see *below) and only drive vehicles you have applied for on your current application and were entitled to drive on your previous licence. • If you hold a Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence, your entitlement has not been suspended, revoked or refused by a traffic commissioner. • You meet any conditions that were specified on your previous licence that still apply. • DVLA has received your correct and complete application within the last 12 months. • Your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons. • You are not currently disqualified from driving by a court. • You were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013 (a high risk offender is a driver convicted of a serious drink driving offence).

Those are your 2 relevant sections.
Short answer is no.

Once you have spoken to dvla and confirmed they have your application and it is correctly filled in, you can drive. You’ll get a reference number from them during that conversation I would think.

Off to check when my licence expires…

Happy Trucker1:
Hi all ,
Messed up
I have let my Driving licence card run out ( not Drivers card) , actually expired in March eek ( always thought you had a reminder ) obviously not .
In the mean time should I really carry on driving ( obviously have since March )

Nope you can’t drive at all and your insurance is also invalid.

google.com/url?sa=t&source= … QWM_HdV134

You can ONLY drive under section 88 If you have applied for a renewal and it has expired while the application is being processed by DVLA.

You’re lucky to have not been caught as it is.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

trevorking1964:
I drive a bus/lorry for a living and I have sent my application to the DVLA to renew my licence. I do not have any medical conditions. Can I drive? As soon as the DVLA receives your correct and complete application for a new licence, as long as you meet the Section 88 criteria and providing your Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence has not been suspended, revoked or refused by a traffic commissioner you may drive.

How do you know they have received your hopefully correct application ( application in the post tomorrow )
I meet all the criteria of section 88

To continue driving under Section 88, you must meet all of the following criteria: • You meet the medical standards of fitness to drive. If you have a medical condition and have been told not to drive by a doctor or healthcare professional, you should not do so. If your doctor or healthcare professional is unsure about how a medical condition affects driving, they should refer to ‘Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals’ at gov.uk/dvla/fitnesstodrive • You have held a valid driving licence (see *below) and only drive vehicles you have applied for on your current application and were entitled to drive on your previous licence. • If you hold a Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence, your entitlement has not been suspended, revoked or refused by a traffic commissioner. • You meet any conditions that were specified on your previous licence that still apply. • DVLA has received your correct and complete application within the last 12 months. • Your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical reasons. • You are not currently disqualified from driving by a court. • You were not disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013 (a high risk offender is a driver convicted of a serious drink driving offence).

Those are your 2 relevant sections.
Short answer is no.

Once you have spoken to dvla and confirmed they have your application and it is correctly filled in, you can drive. You’ll get a reference number from them during that conversation I would think.

Off to check when my licence expires…

Happy Trucker1:

I’m guessing you messed up the quote when replying, so on the basis that it’s you claiming to meet the criteria:

No, you don’t meet Section 88 criteria: You didn’t apply for the licence renewal before the previous one expired; you don’t have any evidence that a medical practitioner has, after reading the official guidelines, informed you of your fitness to drive; you don’t have a copy of your application or D4 medical, nor do you have any proof of delivery.

If your post is genuine, and not as it appears on face value an obvious troll (that based on such a controversial initial posting) then I can only hope for your sake and your employers sake you have fessed up and are not behind the wheel today.

If you are behind the wheel, then you’re facing a fine, points on the (expired) licence, discretionary driving ban, plus like all vocational drivers, there’s the bonus plan of a trip to the TC (definitely no tea or biscuits) for a Driver Conduct Hearing, so even when you got your licence back, you’d have some amount of suspension of your HGV entitlement.

And… Your company would be going with you to see the TC for their Public Enquiry - it’s one of the TCs Seven Deadly Sins, an operator allowing an unlicenced driver on the roads.

Has the D4 medical expired OR is it just the photo which expired :question:

ROG:
Has the D4 medical expired OR is it just the photo which expired :question:

With the mention of £14 that suggest the latter, but I doubt DVSA or Plod would turn a blind eye to an HGV driver with an expired licence of any kind, so it’d be same bad-news-situation whatever the underlying cause was. Imagine being involved in a crash when your licence is expired, suddenly you’re uninsured. That’s the kind of situation that can easily put a small company out of business.

Zac_A:

Happy Trucker1:

I’m guessing you messed up the quote when replying, so on the basis that it’s you claiming to meet the criteria:

No, you don’t meet Section 88 criteria: You didn’t apply for the licence renewal before the previous one expired; you don’t have any evidence that a medical practitioner has, after reading the official guidelines, informed you of your fitness to drive; you don’t have a copy of your application or D4 medical, nor do you have any proof of delivery.

If your post is genuine, and not as it appears on face value an obvious troll (that based on such a controversial initial posting) then I can only hope for your sake and your employers sake you have fessed up and are not behind the wheel today.

Firstly thank you for replying , even though I don’t like your tone on the way you answered some of my my post
No I’m not a troll and it was an honest stupid mistake on my behalf .
This has now become even more of a stupid mistake as the reason I thought my licence was out of date is that when we take our vehicles in for service we are given a courtesy car and we have to show our licence , I have a picture of my licence on my phone as I do with other documents just so I have all items on me at all times ( all password protected ) however on holiday a couple of weeks ago I had time on my hands and was deleting some items on my phone , me being sloppy deleted my up to date licence and not my old one simple as that . I hope if nothing else with the exposure of my stupidness and the consequences it could bring it highlights what could go wrong if you are not on top of all your documentation . Don’t wait for the reminder through the post ( if they come at all ) keep up to date , thanks for all the reply’s

If you are behind the wheel, then you’re facing a fine, points on the (expired) licence, discretionary driving ban, plus like all vocational drivers, there’s the bonus plan of a trip to the TC (definitely no tea or biscuits) for a Driver Conduct Hearing, so even when you got your licence back, you’d have some amount of suspension of your HGV entitlement.

And… Your company would be going with you to see the TC for their Public Enquiry - it’s one of the TCs Seven Deadly Sins, an operator allowing an unlicenced driver on the roads.

Happy Trucker1:
Hi all ,
Messed up

I was told by post office my renewal would cost £17 , in the event my £17 was reimbursed by dvsa , so renewal cost £0 , that was lisense renewal , photo etc