Urban Myths

daneinter:
My own personal favourite is that of a Golf GTI convertable

Think I can better that with another convertible, this time I think it was an Alpha Spyder (though not sure, as for reasons that will become apparent I was trying not to look :open_mouth:).

First set the scene ā€¦ hot day about 5 in the afternoon, the open top Alpha Romeo is coming down a steep hill to a roundabout just outside Tescos, following much too close behind is an eight wheel bulker. The Alpha driver hasnā€™t judged it quite right and breaks hard to a stop at the roundabout, forcing the truck to do the same, fortunately narrowly avoiding running into the back of him.

However the wagons load doesnā€™t stop, it continues merrily on itā€™s way, heā€™s just left the local slaughterhouse and is carrying waste offal, blood etc. which sloshes out of the back right over the cab, filling the Alpha and down between the back of the truck and the cab, and splatters everywhere. Was not a pretty sight to come across on my way home, looked like there had been a massacre! :open_mouth: :astonished:

I think there was a major todo over it afterwards, as to why the top of the wagon was open etc.

Though I guess having actually seen it that doesnā€™t qualify as a myth :smiley:

paul b:
itā€™s got top be agency drivers at the mo, everyone you talk to is SO much better off since they ā€œpacked inā€ their regular job! recently iā€™ve heard one who claimed to have earnt Ā£250 for a sunday, getting paid 12 hours but actually only did 4 and was home for his sunday lunch :confused:

Quite possibly true in all honesty. 15hrs on a Sunday up here equates to Ā£277 and some pence, although thereā€™s no minimum 8hrs pay on a Sunday where I am.

What about the one where the Police noticed that a wagon pulled onto the hard shoulder every 2 Miles, the driver going round the wagon each time beating on the sides. Curious to know what it was all about they pulled him in to be told that he had a load of live Pidgeons which took him over his weight so by banging on the sides every couple of miles heā€™d keep most of them flying and therefore his weight down :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:
same bloke did glasgow to london in four hours, reckoned he had a right flyer! :smiley:

bossjock:
What about the one where the Police noticed that a wagon pulled onto the hard shoulder every 2 Miles, the driver going round the wagon each time beating on the sides. Curious to know what it was all about they pulled him in to be told that he had a load of live Pidgeons which took him over his weight so by banging on the sides every couple of miles heā€™d keep most of them flying and therefore his weight down :laughing: :laughing:

Now THAT is funny!! :laughing:

I remember the one about a cattle wagon being stopped with ā– ā– ā– ā–  running out of the back and the copper told the driver to try and secure it and the driver handed the young copper a rope and siad you try it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

paul b:
itā€™s got top be agency drivers at the mo, everyone you talk to is SO much better off since they ā€œpacked inā€ their regular job! recently iā€™ve heard one who claimed to have earnt Ā£250 for a sunday, getting paid 12 hours but actually only did 4 and was home for his sunday lunch :confused:

Quite possibly true in all honesty. 15hrs on a Sunday up here equates to Ā£277 and some pence, although thereā€™s no minimum 8hrs pay on a Sunday where I am.

Does happen :wink: :wink:

not so much an urban myth but a conversation iā€™ve had on many occasions,
queuing as you do on steel, talking nuts and bolts to the driver behind whilst taking the straps off, the chat goes like this-
driver- that your own wagon?
me- yeh
driver- you subbin?
me- yeh
driver- you donā€™t earn anymore than a wage you know?
me- well, theres certainly no fortunes in it
driver- i was gona go on my own once but theres not enough money in it
me- your probably right
driver- you know how much i take home?
me- no (but iā€™ve a fair idea your about to tell me)
driver- i clear five a week minimum sometimes a lot more
me- thats alright then, sounds a good job
driver- itā€™s not bad but iā€™m packing in soon
me- whyā€™s that then?
driver- the boss is a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  and so nā€™ so are paying more money for less hours
me- oh, youā€™d be better off there then
driver- yeh i think iā€™m gona take the job
me- so youā€™ve spoke to em then?
driver- no, but iā€™d have no problems getting a start, my mates brothers uncle already works there
me- (slowly loosing the will to live) i think iā€™m gona clean me cab out then get a cupa
driver- (obviously not finished) so how much diesel to you use a week then?
me- ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  to much! :unamused:
not word for word but i bet iā€™ve had that conversation twenty or more times in the last year, why some people seem to have a burning desire to tell everyone else what they earn? i donā€™t know.

I had a job, Selby to Leeds Ā£500 a load twice a day and back empty but I packed it in because they took 2 hours to tip me. No body does that to me and gets away with it. :open_mouth: :smiley:

bossjock:

PMSL @ that!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Having said that though, surely there must be some truth in it, I mean, it is possible, innit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?

:wink:

daneinter:
I had a job, Selby to Leeds Ā£500 a load twice a day and back empty but I packed it in because they took 2 hours to tip me. No body does that to me and gets away with it. :open_mouth: :smiley:

:laughing: two hours to tip? not in this lifetime!
ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  chancers! :laughing:

A couple from the late sixties were : Volvos never break down so you dont need to worrry about spares

An AEC Mandator V8 belonging Air Products being clocked at 105 on the MI

And more recently from 1980, a F12 pulling two decks of cattle clocked doing 80 at Carlisle but the police didnt manage to stop him till Bristol,then he was over at 42 tons. Knowing who it allegedly was, I just dont believe the bit about it taking so long to stop him.

There was a report in CM from 1969 of a Frog coming in at Dover with a bow in the trailer chassis and when weighed had a100% overload at 65 tons.

Paul B
same bloke did glasgow to london in four hours, reckoned he had a right flyer! Quote!!

His name plate sayā€™s RAF not ERF :laughing: :laughing:

only trouble was they were homing pigeons, the wagon kept wanting to take the next exit and double back! :blush:

paul b:
:lol:
only trouble was they were homing pigeons, the wagon kept wanting to take the next exit and double back! :blush:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Exellent!!!

Up before the beak for the driver then :smiley:

vernonbish777:
we used to do one on the coaches - as you drop on to jubilee way going into dover thereā€™s a load of transmitter masts on the left. we used to get on the mike and tell the passengers that if they touched the windows they would feel the buzz off them followed by loads of ā€œooh doris, did u feel it, i didā€ :laughing: :laughing:

mine from the coaches was the mirrored building near the customs in calais.we used to get them to hold their passports up and tell there it was a new electronic passport check :laughing: :laughing:

it always had me in stiches and was a fantastic ice breaker for the trip ahead
jon

Was told this one several years ago, thought it was true, but have since heard a similar story from someone else at another company. Amusing nonethelessā€¦

Guy working for a now defunct Diss bulk haulier. Travelling empty round the north circular (or circleeur :wink: ) with really bad guts. Starts to get unbearably bad and with nowhere else to stop the guy pulls into a bus-stop, climbs into his empty trailer and proceeds to do ā€˜his businessā€™ on the floor. Seconds later, a ā€˜fully ladenā€™ double decker bus pulls alongside, giving its passengers a stunning view of said driver in all his glory! Priceless, as they say.

ā€¦the Driver who parked up in Glasgow and was about to take off for some food when he was approached by a couple local ladsā€¦
ā€œĀ£5 to look after yer motor while yer away mate?ā€
ā€œNo need Boys, see that Rottweiler in there, itā€™s a retired Police Dog. Been trained in Detaining offenders, Crowd control,Search and rescue and Drug detection, motors quite safe with him in thereā€¦ā€
ā€œEhā€¦can it pit oot Fires Mister ?ā€ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

daneinter:

paul b:
:lol:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Exellent!!!

Up before the beak for the driver then :smiley:

poor bloke thought it was gona be a good earner when he took the job on but ended up doing six trips before he got his pod signed! :blush:

we could keep this going for weeks :laughing:

Roger Breaker:
Was told this one several years ago, thought it was true, but have since heard a similar story from someone else at another company. Amusing nonethelessā€¦

Guy working for a now defunct Diss bulk haulier. Travelling empty round the north circular (or circleeur :wink: ) with really bad guts. Starts to get unbearably bad and with nowhere else to stop the guy pulls into a bus-stop, climbs into his empty trailer and proceeds to do ā€˜his businessā€™ on the floor. Seconds later, a ā€˜fully ladenā€™ double decker bus pulls alongside, giving its passengers a stunning view of said driver in all his glory! Priceless, as they say.

it was around leicester going up to mount sorrel for a load of stone on a saturday morning actualy

(so teds packed it in then?wondered why i aint seen them about)