Ur` round i`ll have a caffe sambuca

JIMCROSS:

dieseldave:
Hi Jim,

:blush: Sorry for the late welcome. :blush:

I did a lot of Italy in the 80s. :smiley:
(I was on for EJ Lucas, Chiaramello, Barco and RJH in that time.)

I do remember a “Joe” on M&B’s, but I’m pretty sure he was Polish. (Polish Joe?? Come on somebody, give me a hand here… :laughing: :grimacing:)
If it’s the same bloke I’m thinking of, he’s very experienced and spoke about 6 European languages fluently.

I do remember a female driver on M&B’s, but my brain cell doesn’t remember her name or what she looked like. :frowning:

My path crossed M&B’s and EM Rogers quite frequently, but I’m afraid I don’t remember any of Rogers’ drivers. :slight_smile:

Clearance in Novara?? … I’ve lost count of how many times I cleared at Febland’s in Via Bovio, and I also cleared and tipped machinery (diggers and bulldozers) at another customs clearing place near Novara.

:bulb: You can click the link I’ve provided below… If you do, you be magically taken to a six-page post (with lots of pics :wink: ) all about Febland’s…

Re Febland Europa - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

I hope you enjoy reading it!! :smiley:

Hi dave
german joe, polish joe , austrian joe, all the same guy as i remember. I called him german joe because when i was at M&B thats what i knew him as. as far as i know joe was a P.O.W. whos side he was on i dunno,(rumour has it he was forced to fight for the bosch) didnt matter aynway he was a good old boy.after the war he stayed in england and worked for mick bletso browns dad major B B. on the familly farm. when M&B started up he was obviously the man to put pepole right with driving in europe. Joe took me on my first trip to italy,leave sywell northampton 2pm wednesday- load verona friday -back sywell sun morning, most of that on nationl routes!! i thought sod that, said i wouldnt do italy again,packed it in some 20+ years later.
Joe was a real character he would get 400+ ■■■■ & several bottles of “bells” on the boat (no problem them days especially if lovely les the drivers steward got em for you coz he allways looked after “his boys” but thats another story) joe would chain smoke the ■■■■ then we stopped for coffe & pop …builders size tea mugs 1/4 coffe 3/4 bells get it down yer neck & then it would be come on you vanker we aint got to auxerre yet and still a bit to go!!
Sadly joe passed away several years ago now, but no doubt he`s still smoking them ■■■■ & taking the coffe & pop somewhere up there. :frowning:

Hi all,
I saw this post and simply hd to comment, Joe was in fact my grandad, he passed away on june 7th 1997 :frowning: every thing that was said above is sooooo true, joe wldnt drink coffee without his pop in it (pref bells or grouse lol) Josef was in fact czech but was affectionatley known by all as “german joe”… there are many tales we could all tell about this amazing man! he was one in a million! i will upload a pic of him later x

Hullo,
Is this the same Polish Joe that also used to work for Toni Mangari (Spelling) ? He or they, used to do a bit of subbing for MAT on the Perkins Engines to Italy, when I was on for MAT. Very often he had his wife Ivy in the cab with him. If it is, he was a really brilliant little bloke. If he has passed away now, please give my condolences to the family.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Is this the same Polish Joe that also used to work for Toni Mangari (Spelling) ? He or they, used to do a bit of subbing for MAT on the Perkins Engines to Italy, when I was on for MAT. Very often he had his wife Ivy in the cab with him. If it is, he was a really brilliant little bloke. If he has passed away now, please give my condolences to the family.
Cheers, Archie.

Hey,
No german joes wife was called peggy
X

shann:

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

Hey,
X

Hullo shann,
Soooo Sorry mate, :blush: :blush: Please disregard my previous post. It’s too early in the morning for me here in Brasil, and I’ve just realised my mistake. The bloke that I had in mind was called Frank (Polish). Please accept my apologies.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:

shann:

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

Hey,
X

Hullo shann,
Soooo Sorry mate, :blush: :blush: Please disregard my previous post. It’s too early in the morning for me here in Brasil, and I’ve just realised my mistake. The bloke that I had in mind was called Frank (Polish). Please accept my apologies.
Cheers, Archie.

Loool bless u I no that morning feeling
X

shann:

JIMCROSS:

dieseldave:
Hi Jim,

I do remember a “Joe” on M&B’s, but I’m pretty sure he was Polish. (Polish Joe?? Come on somebody, give me a hand here… :laughing: :grimacing:)
If it’s the same bloke I’m thinking of, he’s very experienced and spoke about 6 European languages fluently.

I do remember a female driver on M&B’s, but my brain cell doesn’t remember her name or what she looked like. :frowning:

My path crossed M&B’s and EM Rogers quite frequently, but I’m afraid I don’t remember any of Rogers’ drivers. :slight_smile:

Clearance in Novara?? … I’ve lost count of how many times I cleared at Febland’s in Via Bovio, and I also cleared and tipped machinery (diggers and bulldozers) at another customs clearing place near Novara.

:bulb: You can click the link I’ve provided below… If you do, you be magically taken to a six-page post (with lots of pics :wink: ) all about Febland’s…

Re Febland Europa - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

Hi dave
german joe, polish joe , austrian joe, all the same guy as i remember. I called him german joe because when i was at M&B thats what i knew him as. as far as i know joe was a P.O.W. whos side he was on i dunno,(rumour has it he was forced to fight for the bosch) didnt matter aynway he was a good old boy.after the war he stayed in england and worked for mick bletso browns dad major B B. on the familly farm. when M&B started up he was obviously the man to put pepole right with driving in europe. Joe took me on my first trip to italy,leave sywell northampton 2pm wednesday- load verona friday -back sywell sun morning, most of that on nationl routes!! i thought sod that, said i wouldnt do italy again,packed it in some 20+ years later.
Joe was a real character he would get 400+ ■■■■ & several bottles of “bells” on the boat (no problem them days especially if lovely les the drivers steward got em for you coz he allways looked after “his boys” but thats another story) joe would chain smoke the ■■■■ then we stopped for coffe & pop …builders size tea mugs 1/4 coffe 3/4 bells get it down yer neck & then it would be come on you vanker we aint got to auxerre yet and still a bit to go!!
Sadly joe passed away several years ago now, but no doubt he`s still smoking them ■■■■ & taking the coffe & pop somewhere up there. :frowning:

Hi all,
I have seen alot of the old m & b drivers names come up but there is one very important one missing… paul wood aka woody, my dad :slight_smile: ■■

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

No wrong Pole !!
Frank Kutyla lived in Leighton Buzzard and worked alongside Leno for Tony [both now deceased]…
Frank and Ivy - at this time of writing - are both well and living in Milton Keynes !!

Big Leggy:

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

No wrong Pole !!
Frank Kutyla lived in Leighton Buzzard and worked alongside Leno for Tony [both now deceased]…
Frank and Ivy - at this time of writing - are both well and living in Milton Keynes !!

Hullo Big Leggy,
Thanks mate, I realised what I’d done after I woke up, and as you will see if you read down a bit further I corrected it. :blush: I’m sorry to hear that both Tony and Franco Leno have passed on, a real shame, but I suppose we are all going in the same direction now. If by any Chance you do see Frank and Ivy, will you please forward my very best regards to them. By the way is Stewart sill around ? When I went to George Ginn’s funeral somebody said he would have bee there, but he was away on his holidays. Give him my best too. I did see Mickey Dunston there though.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie Paice:

Big Leggy:

Archie Paice:
Hullo,
Cheers, Archie.

No wrong Pole !!

Hullo Big Leggy,
Thanks mate, I realised what I’d done after I woke up, and as you will see if you read down a bit further I corrected it. :blush: I’m sorry to hear that both Tony and Franco Leno have passed on, a real shame, but I suppose we are all going in the same direction now. If by any Chance you do see Frank and Ivy, will you please forward my very best regards to them. By the way is Stewart sill around ? When I went to George Ginn’s funeral somebody said he would have bee there, but he was away on his holidays. Give him my best too. I did see Mickey Dunston there though.
Cheers, Archie.

Archie
Very rarely [if ever] see Frankie – was he not at George Ginn’s funeral in Aylesbury?
Tony died a while back in Leighton Buzzard – Franco/Leno was a widower and he went home to Italy - Frosinone I believe – he also died a little while ago now although I don’t think he was that old [by todays standards]. I’m led to believe his son still lives in Leighton Buzzard & drives for S & J Pierce !!
Stewart lives in Northamptonshire now and is retired – I believe he was in Malta at the time of George Ginn’s funeral – again very rarely see him… It would be nice to catch up with “faces” from the long ago past but it only seems to happen at funerals these days !!

Hi to all EX 70s 80s 90s UK - Italy run Truckers. Found this site recently now Im a “silver surfer”
Anyway I spent most of the above mentioned decades doing the run myself first with M & B TRANSPORT ( Muck & Bullets) in the 70s along with likes of German Joe ( come on you vankers) Spud Murphy, Moppy ( aka Lady Isabella Thompkinson) Charlie Friday, Maureen, Janet (petite little brunete) & others. I was the inconspicuous one who drove a plain dark blue 2800 DAF reg no FBD 227T nicknamed " BORISS" by the boss..... cant remember why.

Went over to E M Rogers some time in the 80s ( my second stint with Rogers Id worked for them before in the very late 60s early 70s, but David Rogers didnt get my image of afgan coat, long hair, and top hat while driving one of his A.E.C Mercurys so I got the bullit, oh well hey- ho ) and stayed with them untill my last “TRIP” 17th July 2000. Quite a few stories in there somewhere, but after all them Vecchias, Sambucas ,and the vino rosso its all a bit blurred, but having seen CRACK-ON-TO-MACONS post & Trucker Ashs the memory got jolted somehow■■? Somewhere Ive got photos of … hold on just getting another whisky… ah thats better now.. oh yes... phutoz?? err ( bloddy crap scotch) usual places Mt cenis, blanc, cerdon, simplon, etc etc. Ill try to get them on here somehow if anyones interested. Untill then I will just dream of the “good old days” clearing customs at Novarra or "Chenda`s Aosta Saturday morning, then the one-hit to Dover just in time for a full turn-out.

Hi jim , my dad used to drive for rogers in the mid 80’s & 90’s , his name is dave haigh

JIMCROSS:
Hi to all EX 70s 80s 90s UK - Italy run Truckers. Found this site recently now Im a “silver surfer”
Anyway I spent most of the above mentioned decades doing the run myself first with M & B TRANSPORT ( Muck & Bullets) in the 70s along with likes of German Joe ( come on you vankers) Spud Murphy, Moppy ( aka Lady Isabella Thompkinson) Charlie Friday, Maureen, Janet (petite little brunete) & others. I was the inconspicuous one who drove a plain dark blue 2800 DAF reg no FBD 227T nicknamed " BORISS" by the boss..... cant remember why.

Went over to E M Rogers some time in the 80s ( my second stint with Rogers Id worked for them before in the very late 60s early 70s, but David Rogers didnt get my image of afgan coat, long hair, and top hat while driving one of his A.E.C Mercurys so I got the bullit, oh well hey- ho ) and stayed with them untill my last “TRIP” 17th July 2000. Quite a few stories in there somewhere, but after all them Vecchias, Sambucas ,and the vino rosso its all a bit blurred, but having seen CRACK-ON-TO-MACONS post & Trucker Ashs the memory got jolted somehow■■? Somewhere Ive got photos of … hold on just getting another whisky… ah thats better now.. oh yes... phutoz?? err ( bloddy crap scotch) usual places Mt cenis, blanc, cerdon, simplon, etc etc. Ill try to get them on here somehow if anyones interested. Untill then I will just dream of the “good old days” clearing customs at Novarra or "Chenda`s Aosta Saturday morning, then the one-hit to Dover just in time for a full turn-out.

Welcome to the site jimcross, yep, get your pics on here, always good to see different photos even if they are well-known places.

Regards,

Mark.

Did you ever meet German Mick on Rogers? From Chesterfield & a ■■■■ good bloke.

hi mr cross , one just for you.

cheers diesel

TRANSCON ANDY:
Hi jim , my dad used to drive for rogers in the mid 80’s & 90’s , his name is dave haigh

Hi Andy,I remember your dad, last I herd he was working for heygates of Bugbrooke, few years ago now i know,however there are stories from the “old times”
Another driver i remember who worked for rogers was alan farmer he was a bugbrooke lad and a great bloke, haven`t seen or herd of him for ages either.

brookie:

JIMCROSS:

Welcome to the site jimcross, yep, get your pics on here, always good to see different photos even if they are well-known places.

Regards,

Mark.

HI Brookie
Dont know if the the DAF 3300 in ur foto is my old gal as most of the fotos Ive dug out are so faded I cant get a scan thats usable or even read the reg no. Ill keep pluging at it , thanx for the foto anyway, I`ll try 2 get it sorted****

JIMCROSS:

brookie:

JIMCROSS:

Regards,

Mark.

HI Brookie
Dont know if the the DAF 3300 in ur foto is my old gal as most of the fotos Ive dug out are so faded I cant get a scan thats usable or even read the reg no. Ill keep pluging at it , thanx for the foto anyway, I`ll try 2 get it sorted****

Sorry Mark This post was ment 2 go 2 Brookie I will try 2 get fotos on here Iffn I EVER sober enough **

harry:
Did you ever meet German Mick on Rogers? From Chesterfield & a ■■■■ good bloke.

Hi harry the name rings a bell but cant place it at the moment,its really annoying how the memory fades.
I remember mick cockerill who allways did the germany work for rogers and mick vallentine who was motorbike mad,saw the latter recently, just got his licence back after serious heart problem.

Hi Jim,

JIMCROSS:

Went over to E M Rogers some time in the 80s ( my second stint with Rogers Id worked for them before in the very late 60s early 70s, but David Rogers didnt get my image of afgan coat, long hair, and top hat while driving one of his A.E.C Mercurys so I got the bullit, oh well hey- ho ) and stayed with them untill my last “TRIP” 17th July 2000. Quite a few stories in there somewhere, but after all them Vecchias, Sambucas ,and the vino rosso its all a bit blurred, but having seen CRACK-ON-TO-MACONS post & Trucker Ash`s the memory got jolted somehow■■?

Well, well Jim! How the devil are you old mate? Small world ay, you popping up on here. Great site don’t you think?
I never knew you worked for EMR in the “early days”. I can imagine David’s face with your coat, hair and hat on! John on the other hand would just say “good old boy”…

I remember you clearly when I started there in the early 80’s. Think maybe you were driving a 4 wheeler to start, just like everyone else had to do! Or was it the scrap run you were on? I had a Seddon-Atki doing the timber for Southern Evans on Brackmills. Remember them?
Anyway, I’m sending you a “PM” so have a read and get back to me.

Great to hear from you again after ALL THESE YEARS: Regards Ash.