UPS SCS Tramping from Dewsbury

I have searched and there is a bit on here about it but I wonder if we would be willing to refresh the advice, the most recent post is over a year old.

After falling out with the green walking floor brigade, I am moving on to a new assignment which is with UPS tramping out of Shaws Cross. I know the money is a bit crap, but I wanted a bit of info on the following if anyone is willing to oblige:

:: What would I be driving?
:: What would I be pulling?
:: What would be in it?
:: What sort of places would it be going?
:: Am I liable to deck the planner?

Go on then lads, 'ave at it…

Did you not ask these questions before you took the ‘assignment’?

Plambert:
Did you not ask these questions before you took the ‘assignment’?

Not the What am I driving one? The rest was covered but I was looking for more than the agencies putting a gloss on it BS.

Are you doing this on agency or as full-time driver for UPS :question:

I did several stints @ UPS on agency (longest was nearly 3 yrs continuous) haven’t been on there for 6-7 years :unamused:

Doubt it has changed much … some of the work will be different ( no more Index RDC ) … agency are still paying “day-rate” … I was on £120 / day + N/out 7 yrs ago … expect to be “run-ragged” and max yours hours EVERY day. If you say you haven’t got hours to do next job allocated … 1st question is “have you done all your 10hrs drive” … “have you done your 15hrs spread” :question:

Good points … decent trucks / good maintenance / not hard manual work ( loads of trl swaps ) … most of the guys in traffic office were ok (might have changed :wink: ) … but be nice with them … don’t argue / complain … you can soon build up good rapport … then you get some nice long runs … Bridgewater / Livingston :laughing:

Best advice … give it a “go” … just make sure agency are paying you TOP RATE … there used to be an agreement that ALL the agencys paid SAME rate ( stop drivers shifting around ) … not sure if this applies :question:

A guy I used to know until we fell out, was in there on the agency, and he said it was decent crack, but they did tend to get their moneys worth out of agency drivers, while there own guys had an easier time of it as I think they were salaried.

I’m sure if you were loaded as well, you had to park at their depots for security reasons if you were on a night out.

Ken.

Quinny:
A guy I used to know until we fell out, was in there on the agency, and he said it was decent crack, but they did tend to get their moneys worth out of agency drivers, while there own guys had an easier time of it as I think they were salaried.

I’m sure if you were loaded as well, you had to park at their depots for security reasons if you were on a night out.

Ken.

Correct Ken about parking … lots of nights parked in depot at Derby … drop loaded trl … loaded trl ready in the morning … good showers / microwave etc. not bad … also used to go to UPS parcels @ Coventry.
I might consider going back … BUT need to INCREASE that day rate :laughing: Should be at least £150 + £25 :wink: N/out

was offered agency work with them last week £100 day plus £25 night money . out all week apparently. no thanks

col68:
was offered agency work with them last week £100 day plus £25 night money . out all week apparently. no thanks

I have been offered this @ £120 / day + £25 N/out … can’t remember which agency … this is what I meant about “getting top rate” … wonder if all the agencies get same rate from UPS … then see how much they can “skim” :question:

The Rustler:

col68:

I have been offered this @ £120 / day + £25 N/out … can’t remember which agency … this is what I meant about “getting top rate” … wonder if all the agencies get same rate from UPS … then see how much they can “skim” :question:

I can see their skim getting smaller next week if the TNUK consensus is right. Cause I’m going back to them next week and saying OK, I can do this, (if I can) but the rates of pay are a ■■■■ take. If I do end up working full hours like you say, its £8.45 an hour. For Class 1■■? And that is Ltd Co.