Update on dvla farce (scannys thread)

well for those of you who followed the thread.

my mate took his test monday and passed. sent the pass slip to swansea. recived a phone call at 11 am this morning. WHY HAVE YOU TAKEN A DRIVING TEST WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE A LICENCE■■?. im speechless. needless to say he is now taking legal action against dvla. you couldnt make it up could you.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

do you think they have any idea what they’re doing ■■?

my daughter got her licence back yesterday, after doing her test on tue last week

still waiting for mine to be renewed :wink: ( another month till it runs out)

in a word no. said nothing when he applied for his provisional. says it all really.

Or it could be a job for the Civil Service Ombudsman, but I think such a referal must come from a Member of Parliament.

Going back to fact that he last saw his licence when he used it abroad on holiday. Has he checked for it where he keeps his travel documents? In his suitcase? In his wash bag?

Given that he has a copy of his licence which, as well as showing a Driver Number, it should also show a Document Number. Assuming that these are issued consecutively, are the DVLA willing to confirm that the numbers both preceeding, and following were in use, and to whose licence the interim Document Number relates?

On reflection, I suggest his main mistake was to inform his insurers. Insurance invariably covers a person who, “…holds, has held, and is not disqualified, from holding a Driving Licence…”

Obviously he is not disqualifed.

Although he no longer holds a D.L. (in the sense that he cannot find it), there is documentary evidence that he ‘has held’ a D.L.

I was once involved with a situation where an employee was asked if he could take the Company van out to do a little job. They hadn’t checked, and he never volunteered the information, that he had never passed a Driving Test. Inevitably, he had a ‘bump’.

This was in the days following when D.L. records were kept by local authorities and ‘renewals’ were updated at the DVLA. Hence the record of him holding a Provisional had been destroyed by the Local Authority, and he did not feature on the DVLA database.

The matter was resolved when I eventually dug up an old Court Conviction against him for “Unaccompanied Leaner”, and “No L’s”, which served to establish he ‘had held’ a D.L. and that the accident was covered by the insurance in force for the vehicle.

And it saved the company from being prosecuted for “Use without Insurance.”

good god mate!!! im not suprised by swansea anymore, they are nothing but a pain in the arse!

tell me :unamused: :unamused: . krankee i agree with what you said he looked everywhere. the problem was he moved house twice in a short space of time so thats how his licence was lost.

its just the sheer incompitence of dvla that cannott be belived. whats more laughable is when the police came round if you read the original thread. even they had it confimed by swansea that he had no licence. he has a local breif who is very good and he has said that he will fight this case on a no win no fee basis for him so he must think that a good chance of getting some sizeable compo. i suspect though that dvla will just offer to refund driving test fee. i will keep this updated as and when there is news