Update & help

Added later, sorry to anyone that didn’t read my original post, I have been planning for about 5 years to buy a vacuum tanker with jetter, massive investment and very difficult to get the work, the work took the most planning, well no actually the 119k for the truck was pretty difficult.
Well back in the spring I was ready to take the plunge, took longer than I thought to get my O licence approval, they didn’t seem to like the idea of me maintaining the truck, So in June I finally took delivery of my turd carrier, had it sign written, posted leaflets, made the phone calls, 10 days in, first job, a bit of a milestone yesterday I’ve done 20,000 km’s (in 6 months)
massive hey, sounds naff but actually I’ve done 65% of my target turnover. I do a tiny amount of work for a water company. I spent a bit more than I intended on the truck initially & then quite a bit since, extras mainly the 38mm extraction pump as a special requirement, oh and I’ve added an auxiliary compressor.

My advice (though I’m as new as they come) is if you want to be an owner driver do it, I love it, I drive in the countryside in a truck worth as much as a house emptying ■■■ out of peoples holes, did I say “I LOVE IT”
Seriously, learn the job, learn about accounts, learn about the law, learn how to maintain a truck, learn how not to spend money, have an income so your not reliant on the truck, save up so you can buy the truck outright, find the work before the truck.

Help needed, I have a whale tank with hydraulic back door, the hydraulics seem to be shutting the door too tight only sometimes, to the point it creeks, I think it is this that is disforming the seal around the door, whale tell me the hydraulics are pressure set and therefore can’t differ. Whale think I’m imagining it.
I have replaced the hydraulic filters twice, I have bled the system a dozen times.
Any ideas ?

:laughing: I did wonder about drilling holes in the tank so it would be lighter then possibly I’d get better mpg.

I don’t post a lot but I read most posts

Muckspreader:
My advice (though I’m as new as they come) is if you want to be an owner driver do it, I love it

I agree, when I started out everybody said I wouldn’t last five minutes, 18 months later I’m still here. :wink:

Muckspreader:
Seriously, learn the job, learn about accounts, learn about the law, learn how to maintain a truck, learn how not to spend money, have an income so your not reliant on the truck, save up so you can buy the truck outright, find the work before the truck.

Agree again. You are doing it on a massively more ambitious scale than I am, and you’ll probably end up earning far more at it than I ever will, and that’s fair enough. But I do get a bit bored by the negative posts from people who say that you can’t make decent money from running a truck simply because they tried doing it and didn’t get it right.

I like this post. Well done!

Muckspreader:
:laughing: I did wonder about drilling holes in the tank so it would be lighter then possibly I’d get better mpg.

I don’t post a lot but I read most posts

Not only will you get better mpg, you’ll massively increase how much you can pump into the tank. :smiley: