Update from the frozen north

After 2 years of mainly doing trunk driving from Norrmejerier in Luleå to Norrmejerier in Umeå and back I started a new run (totally new to the company) on Sunday night. My new schedule which is full time is Sunday / Monday 2000hrs - 1100hrs. The times are not great but only working 2 days a week is great!! As my lorry is not used for anything else I got back to the yard and slept in it. No night out money just saved driving home. I start at 2000hrs and drive 5 mins from our yard to Norrmejerier Luleå where I load truck (bil) and slapp (trailer). The trailer is a double decker and truck and trailer fully loaded are about 64 tonnes . I leave Luleå aroubd 2340hrs fully loaded.
I have 6 pallets of empty bread trays on the rear of the trailer - really important as I jave 6 pallets of bread to pick up from the bakery so swap the empties for full bread trays. It takes around 20 mins, nobody is at the bakery but my bread is left next to the loading bay and I have the door fob to get in.

. Leaving Över Kalix for Kiruna around 0150hrs puts me in Kiruna around 0500hrs. Along the entire route I pass only 3 other trucks (heading south) and around 30 reindeer In Kiruna we unload both the truck and trailer at Iivaris terminal. After tippning the staff there invite me to the fika room for free coffee and breakfast! Around 0630 I start to head back to Luleå (empty). On the way back I take a 45 min break (breaks were taken at Iivaris and Över Kalix) I arrive back on Luleå around 1135hrs having refuelled on the way back, total driving time was 9hrs 30. Out here the combination I drive is limited to 80kmph, followed 2 roads the E4 and E10 On Tuesday I washed the truck at our garage ready för the driver who does Wednesday / Thursday.

Thank you for your diary.
Grim start time. Nice in the summer but not in the winter.
Good to know you’ve settled in up there.

Some serious weight your pulling there…

Interesting read :sunglasses:

OwenMoney:
Thank you for your diary.
Grim start time. Nice in the summer but not in the winter.
Good to know you’ve settled in up there.

Thanks fella, 2000hrs isn’t so bad and in the summer as you say its great what with 24hr daylight. The winter will be a real challenge, but it’s something I am looking forward to. On Tuesday just gone the E10 from Stenbron to Kiruna was just like driving on glass, uts a weird sensation when the truck starts going sideways across the road instead of forwards up a hill. Add the extra weight to the drive axle into manual and creep up the hill!

drover:
Some serious weight your pulling there…

Interesting read :sunglasses:

Or trying to pull LOL made the mistake a few times of being too light in the unit and heavier trailer makes reversing it fun in the snow

That is really interesting. Love posts like this. Amazing pictures as well!!!
Thanks for sharing.