UPDATE: Assessment at Fowler Welch tomorrow! advice please

Hi all,

Just had a phone call from Fowler Welch offering me an assessment drive tomorrow :open_mouth: Whilst I’m very happy to be offered an assessment seen as I’ve only recently passed, my brain is now in overtime thinking of everything I need to remember.

Couple of things I want to check, these will probably seem stupid but think it’s best I check. As I’ve only seen/used the training artic and it had the points of everything marked on the trailer eg “trailer brake”, “legs” etc

Trailer Brakes: are they always located at the rear wheels of the trailer and can they be loated on either side?

Connecting the suzies up: am I correct in thinking, if i take my time and look at them, each one can only fit in 1 hole?

Reversing upto a bay: I obviously havent done this, so is it a case of take my time and if in doubt of position or how close I am, switch the engine off and get out and look?

Finally, anyone had any experience of what Fowler Welch’s assessments are like, are they easy going or strict?

Cheers

Martyn.

hi martyn,good luck tomorrow mate im sorry as i only recently passed my class c + e as well and as yet no class c + e work i cant help you BUT im sure if fowler welsch knew you have recently passed they might take that into consideration,just try to relax and enjoy.
Im sure someone will be along with better advice,have you tried typing fowler welch into search column at top of page and see what that comes up with.
let us know how you get on and i know how you feel although i cant wait to drive the artics the thought of day one terrifies me

You’ll find lots of different variations, Fowler Welch seem to have good (new) kit similar to ours so for example…

You’ll have a fridge unit, most companies won’t let you split couple so it leaves you with no room to get the lines in from between the unit and trailer. We have sliding connections on our trailers, i think they’re called ground bars? They slide right to the end of the trailer then you can unclip them so they stick about a foot out, that way you’re not climbing on catwalks getting squashed/dirty (knocking the fridge controls with your head!)

The suzies will only go in one hole, 2 leccy ones look similar, on ours (in most cases) the green goes to the left of the trailer.

Trailer brakes can be all over, some are by the rear wheels, some by the legs, and most of our new ones are on the side of where the suzies go into.

Reversing- take your time and give the trailer time to react.

So how did it go :question:
Was it what you expected :question:

wear sandles with white socks and speak a funny language and smell of vodka simples

Hi all, sorry took a while to get an update of what happened on here.Â

Well I didn’t get the job :frowning: everything seemed to go well and I was told my driving and road positioning is very good. Couple of things I think got me was I hadn’t used air suspension to couple and uncouple before so the bloke showed me how it was done and I had to do 2 reverses, the first one it went straight in and I was well pleased but then had to pull it out and park the trailer in another position this time even tighter and it was all looking good but I didn’t start straightening the unit up and the trailer kept moving closer and closer to the trailer next to it. In the end I pulled forward and got it in a pretty awkward position (due to lack of room to move forward) when I really should of pulled back out and started again!

Never mind, I learnt a lot from the bloke who was really canny, and I certainly feel a lot more confident when I eventually get another assessment.Â

Didn’t get the job just down to general lack of experience :frowning:

Martyn

So sorry to hear you didnt get the job fella. That ■■■■■
By the sounds of it thou you brought positives out of it, like spotting when you were going wrong and what to do to correct it.
I know a fair few experienced guys (myself included when I started) who still havent got that.

By the sounds of it your still upbeat and im sure that next assessment will be sweet and you will get the job at the end of it!

Like tonka said you learned from your experience so next time will also know what to expect good luck on the next one it will happen :slight_smile:
jennie x

sorry to hear that you didnt get the job but you have taken quite a bit for this so a good lesson & some experience