Update - a few months on

Well I know I put a couple of updates on of my first few days, it’s a few months on but as I am only averaging a few days a month driving I’m still only really up to 13 days of actual driving.

I love it, in fact sometimes I have so much fun I feel bad that I’m taking money for it too.

It’s not all been easy and I’ve learnt a few things the hard way. I damaged my back door week before last for which I felt awful. The company I work for were not really fazed (it’s not too bad and we have other doors in a worse state) but it’s not the level I had hoped to operate at.

My confidence is increasing (but not too high); I’m pleased with my level of mirrors/obs, follow ups on the move (avoided squishing a car on the tight bend on the Hunston to Selsey road yesterday in spite of the warning to southbound traffic to expect vehicles in the middle of the road they were determined to aim straight for my trailer in spite of the extra room on their side) although I worry about my obs before moving off, not had any issues but I never seem to “consciously” look for pedestrians and at Sittingbourne Morrisons the walkways are directly in front of the cabs on the bays, I am terrified that one day I won’t see someone right in front of the cab - if I have a front mirror I’m happier but not all of ours have them. I need to get in the habit of checking then saying out loud ‘front clear’ before releasing handbrake or somesuch I think.

I haven’t had to do much by way of trailer dropping/pickups, just two so far I think.

Load securing I need to work on - most of our stuff is easy - just pop a couple of bars in place but last night I picked up five pallets of cake - all stacked very low - nothing around or on the outside of the pallets. All bar one was too low to even bother using restraint bars. I only had one strap available but again the last pallet was so low I couldn’t figure out how to safely secure it without damaging the contents. With hindsight if I’d had two straps I might have been able to do something from the front corners, one strap each corner up to the strap locking points but even that - there wasn’t much weight in the pallet - might have just resulted in lifting the front and again, squashed cake… :confused:

I did have an idea when trying to get to sleep - I had a double compartment fridge yesterday, I could have dropped the front compartment door down behind them and reinforced that with two restraint bars, so if they moved they could only move about a pallet length before coming to rest on the compartment door - I know they shouldn’t be used as restraints but I don’t see what else I should have done on this one.

I’ve probably driven only 6/7 different vehicles so far, we have mainly DAFs but I did get a day in the Merc Actros, I enjoyed it but couldn’t help leaning into the odd corner as the added cab height makes you feel like you’re going to fall over in some bends (even though it won’t!). All cabs are high to me so the added step up wasn’t a big deal.

I’m more relaxed about manoeuvring, I had an audience yesterday as I went onto the bay at Morrisons which included two shunters, it wasn’t the slick single move I’m trying to get to, but it wasn’t too untidy and I didn’t feel out of my depth. Even when they go wrong I just stop, pull out and start again.

Having a good truck satnav is great, but it does make me lazy - I went under a bridge yesterday and didn’t even clock the height sign - I knew it was OK as trucks go under it all the time but even so, I should be looking! It’s weird how soon you get used to smaller gaps between your vehicle and bridges, I used to panic going under an ordinary 16’6" height with a 14’9" cab but now it just feels normal.

I’ve gotten to grips (I think!) with breaks/tacho use & regs, I always love it when I’ve got a digi, so much easier to cope with plus I feel like I’ve been given a gold star when I download my card and it says “No Driver Infringements” :astonished: I take a kitchen timer out with me when I’ve got analogue or just make sure to write down all my times (when precisely I put it on break etc) so I can keep it straight. It adds to the stress and worry though.

I’m doing most Sundays just now, and I’d love to get something regular on Tues or Weds when I’m usually free but currently doing both jobs is working well - I enjoy the driving and gain valuable experience and it gives me a break from the office. It also makes me see what is good in the office (easy access to wc for one!) I worry that if I went to full time driving it would become too much of a chore and ■■■■ the fun out of it. I would need to improve my stamina a lot, two days driving on the trot really wipes me out. As it is I start and finish my driving days with a wide smile and I’d like to keep it that way. :smiley:

Would I recommend it? Yes! Would I recommend it as a job? It’s not for everyone but I love seeing the sky and the local wildlife and nature all around me. I really appreciate only having to think about myself, my truck, my load. For once I don’t have to think about things like does the firm have enough money to cover the wage bill, are other people doing their jobs right etc; it’s none of my business and I’m very happy to keep it that way!

low pallets with cake you cant do much but drive accordingly, if it’s wrapped well it really wont go far. as for using bulkhead doors my advice would be leave well alone unless your told to use them … half the time there so knackered they stick, get stuck and wont budge or the loaders don’t know about it so leave it down then cant get a full load on because some plonker didn’t open the BH and remove the pallet or they tip it(not knowing about BH doors and the trailer is taken off and parked up …

Ive had a trailer that was parked for a month picked it up as it was meant to be empty checked and noticed the BH door down so jumped in and opened it :open_mouth: HUWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE there was a pallet of meat etc tucked in behind it … it took ages and 2 jars of coffee to get rid of the stench :neutral_face:

Nice write up and glad you’re enjoying it.

Are there ever any empty cages where you deliver to? You ciuld put empty cages against the back of the cakes and strap them. It wont stop the cakes falling off the pallets but it will stop the pallets going anywhere. Alternatively, has this ever been mentioned - it may be that people in high command aren’t aware it’s a problem.
Keep it up though and a lot of things you’re working hard on will become second nature.

nick2008:
low pallets with cake you cant do much but drive accordingly, if it’s wrapped well it really wont go far. as for using bulkhead doors my advice would be leave well alone unless your told to use them … half the time there so knackered they stick, get stuck and wont budge or the loaders don’t know about it so leave it down then cant get a full load on because some plonker didn’t open the BH and remove the pallet or they tip it(not knowing about BH doors and the trailer is taken off and parked up …

Ive had a trailer that was parked for a month picked it up as it was meant to be empty checked and noticed the BH door down so jumped in and opened it :open_mouth: HUWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE there was a pallet of meat etc tucked in behind it … it took ages and 2 jars of coffee to get rid of the stench :neutral_face:

EW!!! that’s gross! Yea, I think you’re right, the one time I’ve had to use them they just got in the way and I struggled to get it open/closed.

Actually that’s one thing I did do - normally folk just leave paperwork in the cab if there’s something in the trailer, I left a note (and paperwork) for the next driver - and mentioned lack of restraint, just in case!

m1cks:
Nice write up and glad you’re enjoying it.

Are there ever any empty cages where you deliver to? You ciuld put empty cages against the back of the cakes and strap them. It wont stop the cakes falling off the pallets but it will stop the pallets going anywhere. Alternatively, has this ever been mentioned - it may be that people in high command aren’t aware it’s a problem.
Keep it up though and a lot of things you’re working hard on will become second nature.

We don’t do any cage work really, but thinking about it, I could maybe have done something with a couple of pallets on their side…although I reckon there would still have been squished cake… :laughing:

It’s probably not been mentioned and I shall, people don’t seem to mention much. It was me that said I couldn’t take a trailer as its disc was 4 months out of date - when they checked it had been done, just never updated - and not reported by anyone for 4 months! Someone had broken the seat adjuster on the unit though so actually that was a bigger problem for me, if the feet can’t reach, I can’t drive it!

It’s kind of fun learning how to cope with when things do go a bit wrong, had an auto (I think it was the Merc) refuse to give me any higher than 6th gear - was awful going down the A259 at 17mph trying everything to go up the box manually or on auto, turned out this unit does it a lot, switch it off and it usually sorts itself out. I had a manual sort of ‘drop out’ of the box changing gear, ended up sitting there for 3 or 4 mins with hazards on before I was able to find any gear and move off!

Nice right up ,
Glad everything is coming into place , and dont worry about worrying too much about obs , in my opinion you can never check too much , too little yes, too much no :wink:
onwards and upwards matey :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
jx

Glad your doing well and enjoying it , good read thoroughly enjoyed it , done a little RDC and abattoir driving to get a little experiance before I go into Truck driving for a living ,just to get the feel of things thoroughly enjoyed it to with a Topline Scania manual box 3 over 3 splitter , learned some good pointers especially with 'swinging beef ’ steady as she goes is the order of the day with that load , and some interesting manoeuvre’s but got there , sorry Themissus didn’t mean to hijack your thread was just giving a wee insight of my own experiance as a newbie to , all the best your doing fine Missus