(UPDATE! 18/7/12 :) ) now left unemployed! >:( :(

hey

further to my post yesterday about how I had been messed around about the starting date of me new CE job for well over a week now, I have been messed about again.

I was midway through having a shower this morning getting ready for my first day and i got a text saying there was no truck available for me… so it would appear there is not going to be any job and I handed in my notice at my old job for sweet FA.

Gone two weeks without income now and I cant even begin to tell you how low this has made me feel. Ive had a difficult two years and managed to get back up on my feet and try and make something of myself and now Im unemployed again and struggling to find someone else to give me a chance as im 23 and have only had my CE license since April.

I would never have handed in my notice at my old job driving a class 2 truck if my dads boss handt guaranteed he would have a full time job for me 100%.

Ive got an appointment with some agencies tomorrow in the hope of getting some work but from past experience im not hoping for much… might have to try begging for my old job back…

seriously fed up and low guys!

wish me luck

Jay

■■■■ that mate.
Phone your old boss up and ask for your job back.Nothing to lose by asking.

I made the same mistake a few years ago…

I went back to see my old boss and was greeted with, “Well, what do you want?”
I said, “I just called in to let you see what a stupid **** looks like.”
I got my old job back.

Sometimes a bit of humble pie is necessary.

Good luck
Alan

OnlyAlan:
I made the same mistake a few years ago…

I went back to see my old boss and was greeted with, “Well, what do you want?”
I said, “I just called in to let you see what a stupid **** looks like.”
I got my old job back.

Sometimes a bit of humble pie is necessary.

Good luck
Alan

I like that.

When I jumped out of the frying pan a few years ago. I was in the pub at the end of the week and I just sent a pint through to my old boss, he sent one back a bit later with a message to go and see him in the morning. I got a new vehicle and trailer and didn’t lose any holiday entitlement. Humble pie can clear the air sometimes.

But I would ask your dads mate why he did that to you, and remind him of his 100% guaranteed promise.

These things happen pal… I was supposed to be starting a new job in Derbyshire this week but it’s gone ■■■■ up… A man who’s never made a mistake in his life has never done anything with his life. What’s the worse that can happen if you ask for your old job back?? No point getting down on yourself bro, what’s meant to be is meant to be… Adjust chin to “UP” position… :wink:

You still young yet wait till you get to my age a lot more will go wrong trust me I have had a hard few years as some on here will tell you & still trying to pick the pieces up

That is life & yep have done that before but went back & seen old boss who then took me back at that time

Its hard mate, but you can learn from this, we’ve all been where you are at some point in our lives.

Throughout your life if you stop on trucks you’ll be fed bull crap of one sort or another, dishonourable scum will promise you the earth to get you on board, what you have to remember is to look into the snake’s eyes and see a failed politician speaking…he is telling you what you want to hear, he will put nothing in writing that can be held or enforced against him, he will try to weave a spell of awe over you.

There are also those who walk upright (just) among us who get pleasure from ballsing up other peoples lives, they get some sort of perverse pleasure from building your hopes up and then dashing them…many of them work in the media, watch they lift the latest celebrity cult figure to the heights and then can’t wait to stab 'em in the back gloating over their fall back to earath.

Never forget this episode however long you live, when you are promised the earth again look for the written confirmation, if it aint there in writing its all bull shine, yes its a cynical way to look at stuff but its the way of the real world.

If you should ever meet a man of honour who’s word is true, grab his hand and shake it, you may never meet another as long as you live.

Best of luck mate.

Look out for no1 at all times! Good luck! Try getting your old job back! :wink:

Happened to me on a promised first driving job driving a very ropey old ERF, I’d left my old job at a woodyard on the Thursday afternoon and was going away for the weekend before starting on Monday. Couldn’t get hold of my new boss on the phone and I got the feeling something was up. Friday about 4pm I got a call back whilst I was away saying I couldn’t start because I didn’t have a Hiab ticket despite that being part of the job offer.

Luckily I’d done a couple of runs for an agency and when I rang them they offered me a temp to perm starting on the Monday morning.

Looking back it was probably a good thing but at the time it was horrible.

You may have a few more set back in your life as you still very young

But has happened to a lot of us now pick yourself up dust down & move on & hope you find something soon

hey peeps

Thanks for the support and motivational speak :wink: helped keep me positive to hear some of your stories too!

Ive managed to get myself another Class 1 job which sounds ace for a new driver like me… but I know what some of you are gonna say because… is through an agency.

Reading through the forum Ive picked up on a negative trend towards agency drivers/jobs but as a newbie beggars cant be choosers id say. Progressing in this career is all about the foot in the door right? and building up your skills is key.

I went to their office today after a phone conversation yesterday and after 30mins of paper work and discussion about my driving experience and the stuff id done with my dad at his place of work he has offered me a CE job doing night trunking work. The pay is more than good enough for me (improvement on my old job driving rigids) and its a temp ongoing contract which he says has been an ongoing secure thing for a long time… yeah Im aware of the whole “AGENCY = LIES LIES LIES” but im keeping everything crossed even so.

Tomorrow im going out on my first run with an established driver who will sit in with me to make sure Im not horrifically bad and if hes happy enough with me and Im happy enough they’ll let me do it alone from then on.

Its a simple enough route, simple enough drop etc so I think this is ideal to just build up some driving experience to add to my CV. Plus its pulling a fridge trailer so ill be able to say ive worked with fridges too on top of my mulit drop work with my old job and the flatbed, steel, timber, ropes n sheeting experience ive had working with dad.

So if tomorrow night goes well and I speak with my agency guy later in the day and dont get the feeling hes feeding me crap about it being a constant opportunity im gonna stick at it… if I feel im being lied to and im likely to end up with nothing more soon ill be applying else where… that said ill still always be on the look out for permanent jobs whatever happens.

Only other thing is getting used to working at night and sleeping in day but im young and can cope :stuck_out_tongue: im a night hawk anyway to be honest… Plus less traffic on roads at night so no need for any “beware newb driver” stickers :wink: haha

What do you think guys■■? Im feeling good about it as he set everything out clear as crystal and it seems like a good starter to build on for the future. That said im not naive about the risks of agencies!

(dont burst my temporary bubble please :wink: haha)

Laters

Jay

Well done you have got a job don’t matter if it’s agency or not there are some bad one’s but i’ve been working for 3 years on agency and staying put untill i find something away from driving.

How old are you again Jay? A start is a start bud no matter if it’s temp or through agency, it’s a bit of experience that you wouldn’t have had. Just be careful with your trailer at night in dark unlit yards as it’s too easy for it to disappear in your left hand mirror on a tightun.

Sounds like really good news. All the best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers peeps hoping all will so swimmingly! Ill definitely post on here friday morning to let you know how it went and what im thinking!

Sam Millar:
How old are you again Jay? A start is a start bud no matter if it’s temp or through agency, it’s a bit of experience that you wouldn’t have had. Just be careful with your trailer at night in dark unlit yards as it’s too easy for it to disappear in your left hand mirror on a tightun.

Cheers for the advice Sam! Im 23 by the way!

Laters

Jay

That’s fantastic and agency or not it doesn’t matter, you’ve done the hardest bit and got your first C+E job. Half the stuff you hear about agencies is rubbish anyhow, I did nearly 4 years on agencies and really enjoyed the variety. So ONWARD to your new job, enjoy it.

Good luck Jay, dont matter if ya new job is with an agencie, we all have/had to start somewhere :wink: .

Nice one… Just remember in future… Life’s a bit like learning to ride a bicycle, you won’t fall off unless you give up and stop pedalling… :wink:

Good news indeed :smiley: :smiley:

I have done a fair bit of work through agencys and some are good and some complete waste of time. What worked for me was signing up with four different ones and I tended to find that if one did not have work then one of the others did.
I enjoy the variation in work and driving lots of different units, even had one with a gearstick last week!
You soon get to know which are the better agencies and who the tossers are.
Every job is different and it means that you are not visiting RDC’s every night of the week. Spoke to one driver who told me all he had done for years was RDC’s - that would depress me!

Anyway, what suits some will not suit all, every job will have its detractors and moaners, every job has a positive and a negative, but it is ALL experience, and good for your CV.

Well done mate.