Up to £400 EXTRA for the INITIAL Driver CPC!

From here
:
HURRY HURRY HURRY! If you are thinking of getting your LGV Licence do it NOW to save about £400
New legislation starts in September which will mean that you have to pass 4 tests instead of 2 currently

£400 seems steep so lets have a look at what is involved -
The combined test fees for the new modules 2 & 4 is £85.00
I am fairly sure that the new theory book for module 1 is the same book for module 2 so no extra cost there.
The training for module 4 will take a little time so that is one cost extra for the trainee - how much that will be I have no idea but I would ASSUME that this is likely to be just a few hours.

There is one other issue that would increase the cost for module 4 quite a lot and that is the way that test centres are going to do it.
For example, Leicester test centre is reportedly only going to be doing the mod 4 (half hour tests) on 2 set days each week.
This would mean that the trainee would need to attend on those days which is likely to be a different day and/or time from their mod 3 on-road test day/time and the trainee would need to hire the truck again to do it.
The truck used must conform to the DSA criteria set out for mod 3 (their rules) but if doing C they are allowing a C1 truck to be used for mod 4 - not much help that !!
This is likely to be one hell of a logistical headache for LGV training schools.

Anyone got any idea how much extra modules 2 & 4 might be in total (including test fees) for a trainee :question: :question: :question:

REMINDER - C+E is not affected

More info on the INITIAL Driver CPC can be accessed by clicking the link in my signature below.

hi mate here one doing mod 4 £285 all in just for mod 4

drivertrainingcentre.co.uk/fees.htm

have a look at the bottom

delboytwo:
mod 4 £285 all in just for mod 4

£285 plus mod 2 test fee at £30 = £315 so it’s creeping towards that £400 mentioned in the first post :exclamation:

I would say that the average overall cost for a trainee doing C at the moment including medical, theory, all the on-road stuff along with a first time pass is about £1,200 (guesstimate) so this might be an extra 30% on top of that - I cannot see a trainee getting any change from £1,500 !!

I expect the providers on here will confirm or refute this figure :smiley:

I am fairly sure that the new theory book for module 1 is the same book for module 2 so no extra cost there.

The initial driver cpc modules are all based on another DSA publication driving LGV vehicles Manual and not the theory test book.

One of the questions that the examiner can ask on the module 4 test is show me how you tie a dolly knot. There is a illustration in the book but I can not see many perfecting this by simply looking at the book.

Extra time will be needed to practice this over and beyond the driving test

I’m a little stumped - which book or books MUST the trainee obtain?

Is all the theory and the INITIAL driver CPC stuff all in one book or more?

hi mate this is the one for case studies

amazon.co.uk/Driver-CPC-Offi … 902&sr=8-1

theory

amazon.co.uk/Official-Theory … 005&sr=8-1

delboytwo:
hi mate this is the one for case studies

amazon.co.uk/Driver-CPC-Offi … 902&sr=8-1

theory

amazon.co.uk/Official-Theory … 005&sr=8-1

Thanks Del, - it does look like 2 books will be needed - I had a look at what each covers HERE

Why buy books and study for the drivers cpc when its just an attendance course :question:

dean0:
Why buy books and study for the drivers cpc when its just an attendance course :question:

Need books and training for THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC but not for THE PERIODIC (ongoing) DRIVER CPC

Why buy books and study for the drivers cpc when its just an attendance course

Just to put the record straight, the driver cpc - initial qualification - is not an attendance course. It has a theory test and a practical test. It’s the periodic training that is attendance only.

Anyone got any idea how much extra modules 2 & 4 might be in total (including test fees) for a trainee

My rate is £200 which includes training for both modules, test fees and use of vehicle for test.

This would mean that the trainee would need to attend on those days which is likely to be a different day and/or time from their mod 3 on-road test day/time and the trainee would need to hire the truck again to do it.

At our test centre (which is a “customer site” making it one operated by our school) we have a full day of cpc’s each week. All trainees will be able to attend without disruption to their training; it’s possible that some times may have to be adjusted for a few minutes but nothing major. I don’t anticipate any real hassle with this. We’ve been doing the driver cpc for passenger vehicles since it started last September and we’ve ironed out the little problems it presented.

It’s important to stress that anyone attempting the module 4 for trucks should have thorough training; the stuff that is needed just won’t be learnt from a book. :laughing: :laughing:

Can anyone answer this scenario?

Someone completes class 2 initial driver CPC, all 4 modules. Then continues to train for class 1, would they only be tested on module 3, or both 3 + 4? I guess the exercise wouldn’t differ that much between class 2 and class 1 on module 4.

robv8:
Can anyone answer this scenario?

Someone completes class 2 initial driver CPC, all 4 modules. Then continues to train for class 1, would they only be tested on module 3, or both 3 + 4? I guess the exercise wouldn’t differ that much between class 2 and class 1 on module 4.

If you complete the initial CPC modules 2&4 for cat c (class 2)then you will only be required to do the practical driving test for c+e (class 1)

for the CPC is there another theory and HPT. so if i have already got them do i just need modules 3 and 4. as i am thinking about doing my Cat C Course next year in may

connellyg:
for the CPC is there another theory and HPT. so if i have already got them do i just need modules 3 and 4. as i am thinking about doing my Cat C Course next year in may

How do you mean ‘got them’ :question:
Do you mean that you have already passed the LGV modules 1a & 1b :question:
If you have done the medical and passed LGV modules 1a & 1b then they are current for 2 years from the pass date.

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice
Module 1b HPT
Module 2 Initial drive cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice
Module 3 practicle drive
Module 4 Initial drive cpc - practical

Both 1s must be passed before 3
2 must be passed before 4

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

Want to know more :question: - THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC

for the CPC is there another theory and HPT.

Yes, there is another theory - case studies but there is no more HPT.

You can complete the case studies and the practical cpc (module 4) before you start your driver training. It will be valid for 5 years from when you pass.

Note that if you passed your car test before 1997 you will not need to take the initial qualification driver cpc but will still be required to complete 35 hours periodic training before Sept 2014.

Not allowed to advertise on this site, but there are certain places you can go to complete the driver cpc module 2 (theory) and module 4 (practical) whether or not you persue driver training with them.

Hope this helps :laughing: :laughing:

Module 4 Initial drive cpc - practical

No driving involved in the module 4 test. It’s a “practical demonstration” test. The vehicle never moves. :laughing: :laughing:

Not sure it’s right that if you passed your car test before 1997 the driver doesn’t need to do the inital driver cpc. I will research it further but as far as I understand it, if the driver who passed before 1997 drives only a c1 they come under periodic cpc rules. If however they are obtaining their first vocational driving licence, which a c1 licence granted pre 1997 isn’t classed as such. They must undergo inital cpc. This is what I thought was correct, but obviously I’ll look into it further. If driver that passed their car test pre 1997 don’t need to do intial cpc I’ll be suprised and it will mean the vast majority of new truck drivers will be exempt and subject only to periodic training.

Tockwith Training:
Not sure it’s right that if you passed your car test before 1997 the driver doesn’t need to do the inital driver cpc. I will research it further but as far as I understand it, if the driver who passed before 1997 drives only a c1 they come under periodic cpc rules. If however they are obtaining their first vocational driving licence, which a c1 licence granted pre 1997 isn’t classed as such. They must undergo inital cpc. This is what I thought was correct, but obviously I’ll look into it further. If driver that passed their car test pre 1997 don’t need to do intial cpc I’ll be suprised and it will mean the vast majority of new truck drivers will be exempt and subject only to periodic training.

Contact the DSA driver cpc hotine in my signature - it is 100% true - no initial cpc for those who already have a Pre 97 C1 on their licence.
I would not have made such a statement if I had not researched this and was 100% certain.

Fair enough, one shall trust your research, I’ll give them a tinkle later. Looks like we will be doing a lot less cpc training than expected!

Just rung that number, lady on the phone said what you mentioning is correct. Seems a bit strange, but if that’s the rules then fair enough. I’ve not read this on any of the government websites but I’ll ask an examiner and see what he says when my test gets back in 10 minutes.