Untaxed HGV

Hello All,

My mate was asked to drive a Class 1 HGV on an agency booking. During his checks he noticed there was no O license in the truck and an expired tax disc. He questioned and the customer just went off on him, but he refused to drive and walked off the shift. Does anyone know for sure if the untaxed issue makes it automatic that this would also invalidate any insurance etc. I told him he probably did the right thing but would he have legally covered except for the tax issue had he taken the vehicle out? If anyone can shed any light I would appreciate. Thanks.

Thread discussing a similar situation here that might be of interest to you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71811

Was your mate sure it wasn’t taxed, it might have been and they had not received or mislaid the tax disc.

How long had they had the vehicle? Was it a rental vehicle? If they have capacity on their O licence they can run a vehicle for a month before specifying it on their licence and getting a disc for it.

londontruck:
Does anyone know for sure if the untaxed issue makes it automatic that this would also invalidate any insurance etc.

I believe that’s a myth with regard to insurance although they’ll use any excuse to avoid a payout in the event of an accident. Having said that failure to display the disc is an offence the driver commits although O licence infringments rest solely on the company operating the vehicle.

Vehicle was owned by the company - not a rental, my mate described it as ‘ancient’, was told the tax disc was in the office but the guvnor would not or could not produce it for some reason. If he had been stopped would he liable to the fine and points re. the tax disc?

The O license? Who knows where it was, I think he gave up on further conversation after the tax disc ‘discussion’ shall we say :slight_smile:

Thanks

londontruck:
If he had been stopped would he liable to the fine and points re. the tax disc?

If the vehicle has actually been taxed possibly not although legally it’s possible and it would be issued to the driver. It’s non endorsable and the max fine is £200 although in reality probably £60.

Cool, thanks much to all. I think he did right by standing his ground myself, who needs to show up to work a shift, point out something obvious and get ranted at for it by a virtual stranger, leaving yourself open to a fine into the bargain…

If only everyone did the same…!