Untaxed Cars

Hi people , long term reader first time poster , I have a problem,

So, came home Friday afternoon to find a dark blue Toyota Carina parked on my drive-way down the side of my house

Closer inspection revealed that it was tax-less and had been since the end of last year.

Now my own car tax had run out at the end of February this year, but as I pretty much have free use of the wagon I haven’t bothered to re-insure and renew the tax on my car and have properly declared SORN to the DVLA at this address where my car is registered. No problem there then, but seemingly because my car is sitting here tax-less then it’s a free haven and dumping ground for others to dump their tax-less (and no doubt insurance-less) motors on my patch too

I get on well with the Asian family next door to me in the non-adjoining house and am appreciative of them putting my wheelie bin out for me with theirs through the week when I’m away etc, so I asked them if they knew whose motor it was. The guy said it might be something to do with the guy living in the house backing onto my own.

Anyway, later this evening there’s a knocking at the door and it’s said guy. He told me it was his car and it would only be there for two weeks as he “couldn’t park it on the road because the tax has run out”.

I pointed out to him that the drive-way belonged to my property and not his which I had specifically made a point of clarifying with the landlady before I took on the tenancy of the property. He said that instead, he would park his car where mine is and I could park in front of him so that if I needed to go out in my own car then I wouldn’t need to get him to move his.

I thought this was pretty damned cheeky and yet again reminded him that it was private property belonging to my house and was not available for anyone else to park their vehicles on it. He didn’t seem to grasp the idea.

I was at a loss of what to do next as I try to get on with folks and really didn’t want to fall out about it so I agreed that as I didn’t foresee myself wanting to move my own car in the next two weeks that he could park there for the maximum two weeks that he said he needed only. Thereafter I wanted it off my drive-way.

I’m immediately regretting agreeing to this as I know that two weeks down the line it will still be there, tax-less and he still won’t have any intention of moving it and it will be a case of, “just give me two more weeks”, which, in my experience, will still be there after that time too.

I know if it came to the crunch I could probably bell the fuzz up about “illegal dumping on my property” etc to which they would typically reply, “it’s a civil matter, sir”, but I don’t want to resort to this.

Suggestions welcome, cheers.

Mind yer’ own business. The house ain’t yours. Deal with it. :unamused:

Police, simple as.

I would rather not involve the Police , for personal reasons .

Just ring the DVLA and report an untaxed car, don’t give your name and let them sort it out.
You should have no problem with your own car as you have declared it off road.

Tankerman:
Just ring the DVLA and report an untaxed car, don’t give your name and let them sort it out.
You should have no problem with your own car as you have declared it off road.

I could do that I suppose , or do it online as I do get alittle nervous when dealing with people in authority.

stagedriver:
Police, simple as.

Car is off road so police not interested. One suggestion might be to phone said bloke up (or knock his door) and tell him that some vandal has broken a window on the car. If that doesn’t work then the vandals mught well come back - I’m guessing he would probably move it.

A phone call to DVLA might well annoy him as he probably hasn’t SORN’d it or registered it in his name. Can’t you look it up on t’internet?

Ring a scrapyard up and get it weighed in, possession is nine tents of the law and it’s on your property.
Simples

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.928711,-3.270248
Been told I can’t use my signature by some elitist ■■■■■■

Maybe give him the two weeks and if he isn’t good for his word then drag the bugger onto the road or tell him you’re cashing it in. How much is a scrap car these days?

get someone to nick it then deny all knowledge of it going

Drag it out with wagon then phone police? :wink:

Get yer’ dad onto him! :laughing:

Crime stoppas’?

Honestly, this car is on YOUR property. I mean who the ■■■■ parks a car on a random persons drive?

Fair enough he TOLD you rather than ASKED you but I’d have that thing in the police impound by now. An abandonned car on your property, they WILL want a swatch.

People just don’t do that kind of thing.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Ring a scrapyard up and get it weighed in, possession is nine tents of the law and it’s on your property.
Simples

Been told I can’t use my signature by some elitist [zb]

but, i thought it was a car that was the problem, not a tent? :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh, and if you weigh it in, take the wheels off first, otherwise they will charge you for disposing of the tyres :wink:

See your landlady and explain the situation and that in a moment of weakness you’ve reluctantly agreed to let him park it there for two weeks, if the vehicle is still there after the two weeks see your landlady again and insist on the vehicle being moved.

It’s their property so it’s their problem.

shuttlespanker:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
Simples

Been told I can’t use my signature by some elitist [zb]

but, i thought it was a car that was the problem, not a tent? :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh, and if you weigh it in, take the wheels off first, otherwise they will charge you for disposing of the tyres :wink:

I thought it was international talk Irish day

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.928127,-3.270254
Been told I can’t use my signature by some elitist ■■■■■■

Marillionman:
I was at a loss of what to do next as I try to get on with folks and really didn’t want to fall out about it so I agreed that as I didn’t foresee myself wanting to move my own car in the next two weeks that he could park there for the maximum two weeks that he said he needed only. Thereafter I wanted it off my drive-way.

Suggestions welcome, cheers.

Real easy. He has agreed to move his out of the drive so you can swap them around. Yours is in front of his so he has to move his completely off the driveway to let you get yours out so he can put his in first. So what you do is this.

Arrange a time to do this. When he has backed onto the street, reverse your car up to the drive gates, shut them and then go inside, leaving him with his car stuck on the street and the only way to get it on your drive being to ram your car up the drive. Whilst you’re in the house, get on the phone to plod.

At the end of the day you have been more than reasonable to allow said bloke to park his car there for 2 weeks. if he hasnt moved it after then. and trys to con a couple of more weeks like you say. tow rope around it drag into the street and leave it.

and to be honest if he is leaving a vehicle in your posession on your property ask him to leave the keys incase of an emergency. to move it and then at the end of the two weeks park it on the road and post the keys to him. :smiley:

If it was me I wouldnt have let him in the first place…

Any way hope you have a happy xmas… :smiley:

Set fire to it and when it gets put out tell him to move it immediately on health n safety grounds.

@ Marillionman
Out of curiosity, how obvious is it that the drive is part of your property, could he have thought that he was entitled to park there ?